Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003, Img XP > DVD, INCOMPLETE ?? (Read 97006 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Ghost 2003, Img XP > DVD, INCOMPLETE ??
May 31st, 2012 at 5:38am

Hiya  Smiley

° using boot floppies in DOS only!

Lately (the last 3 images of XP SP3 - system partition only) I experienced the following:
Creating an image to HDD went fine.

When I wrote it on a single* DVD (after the above) > compression high, after the writing process Ghost 2003 shows:
total MB = (e.g.) 6610 | leftover MB =
Then Ghost shows message "successful", and it corrects to the actual** size = 6596MB.

* = 1 DVD (4.7GB), still a little free space. Although Ghost tells me at the beginning "2 DVDs needed"
how come ???
. I never needed 2 so far --> (Of course, XP size is getting bigger & bigger).

** = size that was shown when creating img to HDD.

My question:
Since I experienced the "
- 14MB
" (although the MBs were set to the actual size after the message "successful") when creating the last 3 images, >>> are those images possibly incomplete  Huh

henriette < worried>

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003, Img XP > DVD, INCOMPLETE ??
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2012 at 9:31am

@
henriette

Quote:
are those images possibly incomplete

Well, the *gold standard* to make sure an image file is a good one is to run an *Integrity* check right after the creation of the file.  If it passes the *Integrity* check, then you can have a much higher level of confidence that all is well--still not a *guarantee*, but you should be okay.

I run the *Integrity* check on all my images--but, especially it should be done on optical disc images--over the years that has been the lesser reliable image backup media.  On my systems, optical media has never been a problem--but, we have seen more reports here of others running into problems.

And, the most common issue was not doing an *Integrity* check, and assuming that the image file was okay.  If you know there's a problem from the beginning with an image file, you can do things over, and hopefully correct any issues.  But, if you wait until the last moment, and then try to restore from optical media, and the file is corrupt for any reason--well, that's too late!

Again, on my systems, I have never experienced a problem with optical images reporting being corrupt at some point in the future if they have passed that initial *Integrity* check.

My time is limited this morning--I have a couple other comments, but those will have to wait until later.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2012 at 9:34pm

@
henriette

When you create your Ghost backup to the HD, what size are the images created by Ghost 2003? What are the file extensions?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 2:17am

My experience is that Ghost 2003 has problems calculating large file sizes, above 4 GB I think and in that respect  pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys. Those two files have become large with the sizes of RAM installed today. They are system files that are excluded from the image and Ghost 2003 doesn't get it right when calculating.

I have "only" 4 GB RAM with a pagefile set to a minimum size of 1.5 x RAM = 6 144 MB.  Hibernation is disabled (no hiberfil.sys.). While creating the most recent image (yes, I take notes) Ghost said that used space was 13809 MB but the image ended up being 7665 MB, 6144 MB less.

So, my guess is that your missing 14 GB are probably those two files. (With a Windows managed pagefile, you never know how large it is. It shrinks and expands but one thing is certain, it is there.) In concequence, I think that your images are complete but as suggested by oters, run an integrity check!

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 3:09am

@
NightOwl
I always run an *integrity* check on all images, both HDD and optical drive Wink

Thank you, anyway, for reminding me. [can't be said often enough] Kiss

@
Brian

Quote:
backup to the HD, what size are the images created by Ghost 2003

= what I'd called the °actual° size. Equal to what I get at the end on DVD (see my post #1).

@
Christer

Quote:
Ghost 2003 has problems calculating large file sizes, above 4 GB I think and in that respect  pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys. Those two files have become large with the sizes of RAM installed today. They are system files that are excluded from the image and Ghost 2003 doesn't get it right when calculating.
So, my guess is that your missing 14 GB are probably those two files.

That's very interesting, Christer, thank you.

Thank you all for your help  Smiley

henriette <relieved>  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 12:53pm

@
henriette

Okay, so some additional comments:

Quote:
after the writing process Ghost 2003 shows:
total MB = (e.g.) 6610 | leftover MB = - 14

I've never seen that before--so not sure what that represents--but must be some sort of *housekeeping* being done at the end of the backup.

For instance, if you look at the Ghost image files saved to the HDD, you will find that the file with the most recent time/date stamp is going to be the first xxx.gho file, and not the last xxx.ghs file.  That's because Ghost writes to that first file when everything is done some sort of information about the completion of the backup.  When you save that same data to a DVD, that first xxx.gho file can not be modified like the one on the HDD can be.  So, now that end of backup information (whatever that may be) is saved to the last xxx.cda (I can't remember--is that the correct Ghost .3 after the file name for optical files?) as can be verified by looking at the time/date stamp for the file.  (Also, if you load an image file that's saved to optical disc using Ghost Explorer, you are asked to insert the first disc, and then the last disc so Ghost can read the first .gho file and then the last file on the last disc for the end of procedure information.)

Quote:
* = 1 DVD (4.7GB), still a little free space. Although Ghost tells me at the beginning "2 DVDs needed"  how come ???. I never needed 2 so far

When Ghost starts a backup procedure, it looks at the total amount of MB's it will be backing up.  Different file types can be compressed more, and other file types are already as compressed as they can be.  Ghost is programed with a built-in *gestimate* as to what percentage of those backup MB's can be compressed--it's only an estimate.  The program doesn't *know* how much space will actually be saved until it has actually gone through the process and compressed all the files that it can.

So, initially, Ghost *estimates* it will need two discs.  But, you must have more files that compress better than what Ghost is estimating--so you actually end up needing just the one disc for now.  But, you can assume that you are nearing the limit of what will fit on one DVD--unless you delete some programs or data files to reduce the MB's.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 7:08am

@
NightOwl

Quote:
...but must be some sort of *housekeeping* being done at the end of the backup.

Yepp Grin

Quote:
I can't remember--is that the correct Ghost .3 after the file name for optical files?)

Sorry, can't do much multitasking for the time being. Will tell you later if that's important to you. OK ?

Quote:
Ghost *estimates* it will need two discs

Yepp. 

Quote:
you can assume that you are nearing the limit of what will fit on one DVD

That's exactly why I posted, and what I was afraid of... just for a few MBs  Roll Eyes

I checked & checked ... can't delete/uninstall progs (needed!). Got CCleaner + TuneUpUtilities ++ to keep my PC as clean as possible.

Will Ghost definitely ask me for a second DVD if necessary  Huh

The thing is:
1. No Ghost explorer possible anymore, when more than 1 DVD.
2. Will restore from two DVDs work without problems ???

Please note:
° I always make the DVDs bootable!!!!! - (what size has the *boot.exe* ???)
° Mind, I want to keep XP after 2014!!! Therefore it's got to be bootable (security reasons > DOS!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christer posted

Quote:
... your missing 14G!!B are probably those two files.
(see below) ... or is it me *counting wrong* today > GB/MB  Huh

The *pagefile.sys* on my PC = 2097MB (2GB RAM). *hiberfil.sys* does not exist, since 'hibernation' is disabled.

Please note:
1. Creating and integrity check > image to HD (size last img BOTH = 6596MB --- no calculating problems of Ghost!

2. Writing and! integrity check > image DVD = 6596 after Ghost "corrected" the -14M!!B, in both cases.

So the reason for the calculating problems of Ghost 2003 is the fact that I'll need a second DVD soon [if just for a few MB!] Tongue

henriette

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:04am

@
NightOwl

Quote:
the last xxx.cda (I can't remember--is that the correct Ghost .3 after the file name for optical files?) as can be verified by looking at the time/date stamp for the file.  (Also, if you load an image file that's saved to optical disc using Ghost Explorer,
you are asked to insert the first disc
, and then the last disc so Ghost can read the first .gho file and then the last file on the last disc for the end of procedure information.)

1. I am not asked to insert a disc!
2. I opened Ghost Explorer > inserted the disk (DVD) > find in folder (optical drive) listed:
CDR00001.GHO
CDR00002.GHO
CDR00003.GHO
CDR00004.GHO

> Only CDR0001.GHO can be opened. Preferences: "Does NOT contain bootpartition" ( = boot.exe missing ??).
When trying to open any of the others (2,3,4):
"No Ghost file!"

What's wrong/did I get you wrong Huh

henriette

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:54pm

@
henriette

Quote:
Will Ghost definitely ask me for a second DVD if necessary

Yes!

Quote:
1. No Ghost explorer possible anymore, when more than 1 DVD.

Ghost Explorer works fine with multiple CD's or DVD's!  You point Ghost Explorer to the first image file on the first optical disc, and then insert the last optical disc and point Ghost Explorer to the last file of the image set.  You might have to swap discs multiple times after that--Ghost Explorer tells you which disc to insert when needed.  If you have two optical drives, you can put the first disc in one drive and the last disc in the other drive.  Ghost Explorer will then switch back and forth between the two without swapping discs--until it asks for the third, forth, etc. disc.

Quote:
2. Will restore from two DVDs work without problems ???

Not a problem!  Just feed Ghost discs when asked for them.

Quote:
So the reason for the calculating problems of Ghost 2003 is the fact that I'll need a second DVD soon [if just for a few MB!]

If you're asking about the *-14 MB* correction--No, that has nothing to do with Ghost's estimation that 2 discs will be *needed* for the backup image size.  The 2 disc estimate is based on Ghost's built-in *gestimate* of how much your files can be compressed--and until Ghost has actually gone through the process--it doesn't know for sure *exactly* how compressible your files will be.

I have no idea exactly what the *-14 MB* correction* is all about.  Perhaps Ghost was saving that space for *bookkeeping* chores--and when the final file was compressed, Ghost determined it did not need those extra MB's for this particular backup.

NightOwl wrote on Jun 2nd, 2012 at 12:53pm:
if you load an image file that's saved to optical disc using Ghost Explorer, you are asked to insert the first disc, and then the last disc so Ghost can read the first .gho file and then the last file on the last disc for the end of procedure information.

Quote:
1. I am not asked to insert a disc!

I said that poorly!  You insert the first disc and point to the first file of the image backup set--the CDR00001.GHO.  Then, Ghost Explorer will pop up a dialog box asking you to navigate to the last file of the image set--if on multiple discs you have to remove the first disc, and insert the last disc, and then if needed, click on the optical drive letter to make it list the files on that disc.  Then you select the last file in that list.  If you have two optical drives, you can leave the first disc in the first drive, and tell Ghost Explorer in that dialog box to switch to the other optical drive that should have the last disc inserted, and then you can choose that last file on that last disc.

Quote:
When trying to open any of the others (2,3,4):
"No Ghost file!"

What's wrong/did I get you wrong

Only that first Ghost file can be opened using Ghost Explorer.  I'm not positive, but if all the image files fit on a single disc, then you might not have to point Ghost Explorer to the last file on that same disc--Ghost might *automatically* find it--but, maybe not.  If not, then when the dialog box pops up you just tell Ghost Explorer which file is the last file of the image set.

You will not be able to *open* any of the other files that are part of the entire backup set--only the first one--same thing happens for an image set on a HDD--you can only open the image set by pointing to the first file of the set.

NightOwl wrote on Jun 2nd, 2012 at 12:53pm:
xxx.cda (I can't remember--is that the correct Ghost .3 after the file name for optical files?)

Okay, so your response reminded of the correct answer:

Quote:
CDR00001.GHO
CDR00002.GHO
CDR00003.GHO
CDR00004.GHO

All the files on an optical disc have the *.gho* extension.  And the files are named with the *CDRxxxxx* file name--where xxxxx is the number of the file in the image set.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:13am

@
NightOwl

All questions answered & explained excellently!
Thank you SO much 

henriette  Kiss (old lady's kissy)

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:01pm

NightOwl wrote:
    "you can assume that you are nearing the limit of what will fit on one DVD"

henriette wrote:
    "That's exactly why I posted, and what I was afraid of... just for a few MBs  Roll Eyes

I checked & checked ... can't delete/uninstall progs (needed!). Got CCleaner + TuneUpUtilities ++ to keep my PC as clean as possible."

Since you're working with XP, chances are you have a ton of backup folders that came from Windows updates.  In systems I cleanup for others, it's not unusual to see 5-10 years of backup folders! Except for the most recent ones, you're never going to uninstall those updates, so you could potentially shrink an installation by a few hundred MBs by deleting backup folders more than a few months old.

See Windows XP Update Remover for details.  Just be careful to click the [Remove backup folder] button and not the [Uninstall update] button!

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 8:14am

@
Dan Goodell

Quote:
chances are you have a ton of backup folders that came from Windows updates

Well, I DO manually delete the '$NTUNINSTALLKBxxxxxx$' + the *.logs thereof.

CCleaner and/or TuneupUtilities will remove the registry keys (KBs - from other registry hive, I assume) thereafter.
BUT: that way the KBs remain definitely in the registry, which is important to me > e.g. I look *regedit* if I have a certain KB installed already.
However, that procedure might leave a lot of crap in the registry  Undecided ... I may have done the wrong *thing* for years!

Quote:
See Windows XP Update Remover for details.  Just be careful to click the [Remove backup folder] button and not the [Uninstall update] button!

I could not tell what the above tool does - regarding the KBs in the registry! ... and I'm not the one to install a tool without knowing what it does exactly.

Would you be as kind as to tell me ? Or, better, will the KBs definitely remain in the registry after having used that tool ?

If so, I'd be very interested in trying. Thanks a lot :=)

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 4:30pm

henriette wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 8:14am:
Well, I DO manually delete the '$NTUNINSTALLKBxxxxxx$' + the *.logs thereof.

Okay, then you've already pruned the bloat.  Those $NTUNINSTALLKB...$ files are where I was thinking you might be able to shed some MBs.

In the past, I used to do it manually like you're doing, but nowadays find it faster and less error-prone to accomplish the task with WUremover.

Quote:
CCleaner and/or TuneupUtilities will remove the registry keys (KBs - from other registry hive, I assume) thereafter.
[...snipped...]
I could not tell what [WUremover] does - regarding the KBs in the registry! ... and I'm not the one to install a tool without knowing what it does exactly.

Are you talking about the [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Updates] key?  I think those are supposed to be there.  I assume that's the list Windows Update checks to see what updates are installed.

We're not talking about uninstalling updates, just removing the backup folders to save space.  Therefore I can't imagine why there should be any registry entries that need to be cleaned up.

At any rate, I've got 319 KB keys in my [...\Updates] registry branch, and CCleaner doesn't offer to clean out any of them.  (FWIW, those 319 keys only account for about 200KB of the size of my registry hive, anyway.)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 9:43am

@
Dan Goodell

Quote:

Good one--I like the looks of that utility!

In the past, I used Doug Knox's :  XP Remove Hotfix Backups.exe

Quote:
Removes Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries.

The *free* version was an all or nothing utility--you could not remove selected Backups.  But, I see that the *licenced* version, which did allow for selective removal, is not available at this time  ( I am temporarily suspending sales of licenses for this product, due to changes made by Microsoft. )

But, he does not explain what changes by Microsoft made him decide to stop the licensed version.

I haven't been using the free version recently because I have a new system with a large HDD, and space has not been a problem--and I'm not trying to fit the WinXP partition on a single DVD!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 9:52am

@
henriette

Quote:
I could not tell what the above tool does - regarding the KBs in the registry! ... and I'm not the one to install a tool without knowing what it does exactly.

Does this help:  How To: Remove $NtUninstall folders

Quote:
Solution

You can either remove the folders and their corresponding Registry entries manually, or use a removal utility. The manual method is tedious, but described so that you can understand what the automated utility is doing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print