Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello everyone - best version of Ghost for Win 7 Pro? (Read 9712 times)
Adiuvo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Hello everyone - best version of Ghost for Win 7 Pro?
Jul 10th, 2013 at 1:35pm

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to look at this post.

Your advice is needed, pretty please!

I bought Ghost 9 a long time ago to legalise my old DOS version. Rad and me were of the same opinion that a static drive can be Ghosted accurately. Times change and I've recently used my old DOS version on my Win 7 Pro laptop, but it's a getting to be too long winded to get it Ghosted and to restore it for these old IT bones!

I'd like a suitable replacement and after a some searches on here I'm scratching my head and thinking someone would be able to put me out my misery!

Should I just go and get Northon Ghost 15?

Is there an upgrade path i.e. is it cheaper to upgrade to v15 than buy it again?

Some guff on what I back up, it's really very simple...

I run 32-bit Win 7 Pro on a Sony AW31 Laptop.

I've a newly grafted in, hence the Ghost I recently did, Drive C that's 100Gb and a Drive D thats 600Gb.

I've an external 1Tb USB drive - it's actually 2 x 1Tb mirrored.

I do my best to keep zero data on Drive C, so really it could be smaller but who cares theres loads of space available on Drive D.

I've a batch file I put together to run RoboCopy to copy new and modified files to my external USB drive.

My locally held Outlook emails are copied to a date and time directory structure on the external USB drive so I can easily get them back, cross fingers never needed to yet!

That recent Ghost to restore Drive C to a new larger drive would, I think, have been be a heap easier if I'd finally given in to Ghosting whilst the PC was active!

Your thoughts and suggestions greatly welcomed & thanks in advance for them too!

IP Logged

SloPoke
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Re: Hello everyone - best version of Ghost for Win 7 Pro?
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 5:04pm

Norton Ghost is no more.  Sales were discontinued on April 30, 2013, but I suppose you may be able to find a copy in a store somewhere.  Your best bet is to upgrade to Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition, or even use Windows 7 built-in imaging.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 5:58pm

@
Adiuvo

I prefer Image for Windows (TeraByte Unlimited). There is a 30 day trial here.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

I like RoboCopy too. Would you mind posting your batch file?

IP Logged

Adiuvo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 12:16pm

Hello to SloPoke and Brian!

Many thanks for your replies.

How sad that Norton Ghost given up the Ghost!

Still at lease Peter made a few bob out of his unerase program that started the whole of his utilites software enterprise which Symantec bought from him. That unerase was a God send so thanks and good luck to Peter.

My old DOS version of Ghost put Win 7 Pro on my new HDD. However, I'll take a look at your kind suggestions too.

Cheers and have a great weekend / life!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print