Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost for Win 7
Reply #90 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:00am

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 12:52am:
what will happen when I re-image w7 back to the original hdd it came from??

will it do anything to the hdd ID??? 

No problems. Now that your Win7 is Generalized the Disk Signature is irrelevant.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #91 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:02am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 12:59am:
Now we can go to bed too

Not for me yet mate. It's 1602 here.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #92 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:11am

Another test with a Generalized Win7.

Ghost can't restore a partition image to a wiped, zeroed HD. But all you need to do is write bootstrap code (or Initialize in Disk Management). The Disk Signature can still be all zeroes. On the restore screen you can select a custom partition size for the restore. If you select a value too small, Ghost changes it to the minimum size that will hold the data. I tried the smallest partition size. Win7 booted and there was 26 MB of Free Space in the partition.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #93 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:19am

@
NightOwl

Quote:
Now we can go to bed too  Wink !

Yeah, me too... except I'm too excited yet Smiley  Smiley

Quote:
If you're now comfortable that Ghost 2003 is working correctly with your Win7 OS, you could do the final quick test of restoring the image back to the original Win7 HDD.  It should go without a hitch, and will make you more confident that you can use your latest backup image to restore to if something goes wrong.

I knew it... something else to do!!!  It never quits!  Grin

ok... nitey nite... (need a sleepy smiley)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #94 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:23am

@
NightOwl

Quote:
First, if you have not already done so, you may need to configure Win7 so you can see *hidden and protected* files:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/

Once you have that taken care of, given that your installation is to a single partition and there is no SRP, the Win7 boot file (the BCD--*boot configuration data* file) should be found on the C: drive in the directory *boot*--so this path:C:\boot\bcd.  Is it there?

Nah, that's too easy... I had to harrass Brian  Grin

Really, this time... nitey nite...

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #95 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:29pm

@
NightOwl

Quote:
If you look at that link above, it shows you the correct boxes to have checked or unchecked, and which radio button to choose.  The step by step written instructions also specify the settings.

Read right over it... went right to the "did you find it"... and of course I didn't... so the frustration began to build... my fault...

Quote:
  These options have had to be set since WinXP, where they first became an issue--so they are not *new* to Win7.

YES THEY ARE!!!!  cuz back in 2008 when I got my laptop, my son told me to put a dot in there... and since then when I needed to show hidden system files I just unchecked the "hide system files" and never looked again at those buttons...

SO.... when I saw that in w7 I thought... "this is NOT in XP"...

well, I just looked in xp pro... and guess what??
Yeah, I found it... kept looking right over it once it had been set...

no excuses... but I'm still crawling out of the dark hole I've been in for the past three years... so my mind doesn't remember everything... and I want my mind to work the way it used to - quick  - and it just ain't there yet...

I really appreciate Brian's patience with me in my mini meltdown... but at least I didn't YELL at him while this was going on...  lol

Anyway, the success sure did help to bring back my sunny disposition... real quick!!

Read over at the other thread the great new(used) toys my son gave me to play with!!!  am really excited about that Smiley

fun fun fun...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #96 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 12:07pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:02am:
Not for me yet mate. It's 1602 here.

Right!  My bad  Wink !

Brian wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:11am:
Ghost can't restore a partition image to a wiped, zeroed HD. But all you need to do is write bootstrap code (or Initialize in Disk Management).

Ghost 2003 can only restore a partition from an image file to an existing partition (partition to partition).  It should allow you to do a *partition to disk* restore--it will create the needed partitioning and formatting.

But, bootstrap code does not create a partition for Ghost to restore to--I did not expect that Ghost 2003 would be willing to create a new partition to do a partition to partition restore--I always though you had to manually create a destination partition first.

Brian wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:11am:
On the restore screen you can select a custom partition size for the restore.

Maybe, you had selected *partition to whole disk* restore, and then you were given the option to control what portion of the whole disk to use on that next page?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #97 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 12:14pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:19am:
I knew it... something else to do!!!  It never quits! 

That is correct!

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:29pm:
I really appreciate Brian's patience with me in my mini meltdown... but at least I didn't YELL at him while this was going on...lol

It was close....really, really close--I sensed building tension  Smiley !

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:29pm:
Read over at the other thread the great new(used) toys my son gave me to play with!!!  am really excited about that

Here's a link for anyone who doesn't know the reference being made:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1379859183/22#22

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #98 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 2:15pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Sep 24th, 2013 at 12:07pm:
Maybe, you had selected *partition to whole disk* restore, and then you were given the option to control what portion of the whole disk to use on that next page? 

I repeated the test as I'm interested in the answer too. The source HD was 640 GB with multiple partitions. I imaged a 15 GB Win7 64-bit partition containing 10 GB of data. Win7 was "generalized".

The target HD was also 640 GB and on checking the MBR with a disk editor it was empty of partitions. There was boot code, a zeroed Disk Signature and no partitions.

I did a Local, Partition, From Image. On the "Select destination partition from Basic drive" box there was a single line showing...

NEW, Primary, 07, NTFS, No name, 610477, 0

These refer to..

Part, Type, ID, Description, Label, Size, Data Size

Remember, this drive is entirely unallocated space but Ghost is calling it a NTFS partition. The 610477 field is editable. Out of interest I chose 333333. Ghost restored the image.

Win7 64-bit booted, partition size 325 GB.

I tried again just so I could look at Local, Disk, From Image. The "Destination Drive Details" box showed...

1, Primary, 07, NTFS, Diskload, 96397, 15000, 10812

These refer to..

Part, Type, ID, Description, Label, New Size, Old Size, Data Size

The 96397 field is editable. Out of interest I chose 222222. Ghost restored the image.

Win7 64-bit booted, partition size 217 GB.

Edit... In this old post, Reply #19

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1155827177/15

I reported restoring a Ghost 2003 image to unallocated space.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #99 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 4:36pm

The original Win7 partition was 2048 sector aligned and as expected, the partition created by Ghost was legacy cylinder aligned.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #100 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 8:37pm

@
Brian

Quote:
With an image, you should never need to re-install.

OK, how about when you get a new computer which needs different drivers???  eh???

...splain that one  Cool

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #101 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 8:44pm

@
NightOwl

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:19am:
Quote:
If you're now comfortable that Ghost 2003 is working correctly with your Win7 OS, you could do the final quick test of restoring the image back to the original Win7 HDD.It should go without a hitch, and will make you more confident that you can use your latest backup image to restore to if something goes wrong.

I knew it... something else to do!!!It never quits! Grin

I knew there was something else... that this topic just wasn't ready to quit... guess I'll do that now and see what happens...

BRB

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #102 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:16pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 8:37pm:
OK, how about when you get a new computer which needs different drivers???eh???

That can be done easily but learning how to do it is not so easy. TeraByte Unlimited has a script for it. I have the WinXP and Win7 from my old Dell computer running on this computer which has an Asus motherboard. I've restored images from OS on laptops to desktop computers and vice versa.

But in general, I do install a new OS when I have a new computer. But it never gets installed a second time on that computer. I never reformat.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #103 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:34pm

@
NightOwl

roxe wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 8:44pm:
Quote:
If you're now comfortable that Ghost 2003 is working correctly with your Win7 OS, you could do the final quick test of restoring the image back to the original Win7 HDD.It should go without a hitch, and will make you more confident that you can use your latest backup image to restore to if something goes wrong.

I knew it... something else to do!!!It never quits! Grin

I knew there was something else... that this topic just wasn't ready to quit... guess I'll do that now and see what happens...

OK... did it... and the result looks the same...

ho hum...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #104 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 4:22am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print