Send Topic Print
Ghost for Win 7 (Read 149438 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Re: Ghost for Win 7
Reply #75 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:15pm

I don't know... i'm not on w7 right now... don't want to get it on the internet yet...

anyway did a google about it... and someone on there said they went into users, made a new admin user and now they can do whatever they want...

the user I have in there now says "admin"... but apparently something isn't right...

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #76 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:17pm

Quote:
Do you have a dot in Show hidden files, folders and drives?

where is that located??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #77 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:20pm

3 lines above "Hide protected OS files"

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #78 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:30pm

BRB...

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #79 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:44pm

@
Brian

thx... found it and it works!!
so many hidden files....

thx for being so patient with me,,, the calm is
coming back... and my curser is jumping all over
the place... but i refuse to let it get to me...

SO...

went into the admin command prompt...
and it says
c:\windows\system 32>

is that what it's supposed to say when I put those 4 lines in??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #80 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:50pm

That's correct.

You will soon be finished with generalization. It's a once only.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #81 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:55pm

ok... once only??  untill I need to reinstall   LOLOL

anyway, gonna go back to w7 and do this... then I'll
reformat my extra drive partition that has the install-disk-fix on it and then reghost the original  "tweaked" w7 and then put it on the extra drive and see what happens...

keep your fingers crossed... maybe I can get to sleep by midnight Smiley

will post here success or failure...

thx again Brian... your patience with me is much appreciated... you win your gold star for today Smiley

BRB.... sometime...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #82 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:00pm

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:55pm:
once only??untill I need to reinstall

With an image, you should never need to re-install.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #83 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:41pm

I assume you are doing this...

Generalize your main Win7 partition
Create a Ghost 2003 image of that partition
Restore the image to another HD in the same laptop
Smile when the restored Win7 boots

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #84 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:41pm

@
roxe and
@
Brian

Slow down--take a couple deep breaths--we are talking computers here--not life and death!

Let's get things sorted.....

@
Brian

Roxe has been asking about something I said here:

NightOwl wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:25am:
First, if you have not already done so, you may need to configure Win7 so you can see *hidden and protected* files:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/

Once you have that taken care of, given that your installation is to a single partition and there is no SRP, the Win7 boot file (the BCD--*boot configuration data* file) should be found on the C: drive in the directory *boot*--so this path:C:\boot\bcd.  Is it there?

Unlike WinXP which uses *boot.ini* (which is a text file), the BCD file is in computer code and not a text file.So you can not simply open that file with a text editor and make changes.One has to use some sort of BCD utility to access the data and make any modifications.And even with a utility, it's sometimes hard to figure out what's what with the BCD--the various options are often cryptic at best--not intuitive.

@
roxe

If you look at that link above, it shows you the correct boxes to have checked or unchecked, and which radio button to choose.  The step by step written instructions also specify the settings.  These options have had to be set since WinXP, where they first became an issue--so they are not *new* to Win7.

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:44pm:
I couldn't find the folder options so went into search for bcd... and it came up in the list as C:\boot

So, that search has shown you that the BCD is located in C:\boot.  Apparently you have not made the correct setting changes to reveal the System Files.

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:44pm:
thx... found it and it works!!
so many hidden files....

So, I see you have figured that one out.

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:08pm:
Should I patch the one I just ghosted? or patch the original one and then reghost it into the extra drive??

and

Brian wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:16pm:
Patch the main one. You will need Win7 generalized all the time.

Technically, Brian is correct--you eventually will need your working Win7 generalized if you want things to work without *issues* in the future if using Ghost.  But, if I'm not comfortable with doing something new, I prefer to work with testing on a *spare* HDD that has no consequence to me if I do something wrong. 

I would generalize the spare Win7 HDD, make a new whole disk Ghost backup of it, and then restore the image as a whole disk restore back to the spare HDD to demonstrate that it all works.

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:55pm:
anyway, gonna go back to w7 and do this...
then I'll reformat my extra drive partition that has the install-disk-fix on it and then reghost the original"tweaked" w7 and then put it on the extra drive and see what happens...

If you only do a partition restore to an existing partition, it will have to be to a different HDD with a different disk signature, otherwise you will not have tested whether the *generalized* Win7 is working correctly (note:  reformatting and/or repartitioning does not automatically create a new disk signature--one has to zero the first sector of the HDD to force the creation of a new disk signature--or one can edit the signature if you have the necessary disk editor and knowledge--an advanced skill set).  The only time the bootability becomes an issue is if you restore the Win7 OS to a new replacement HDD, or if you use a whole drive restore to the previous source HDD and Ghost 2003 has zeroed the disk signature as part of the process.

So, if you want the easiest way to test whether the *generalized* Win7 will boot when a new disk signature is generated, then you should do a whole disk image backup, and then a whole disk restore.  That will force a new disk signature (Ghost 2003's default behavior without the -fdsp switch), and if Win7 boots--then the *generalized* BCD is set up properly.

Once you're satisfied that everything has worked properly, then *generalize* your main working HDD with the Win7 OS, make a Ghost backup, and move onto the next issue(s).

As you have already shown, if all else fails, you know you can use the Win7 installation CD to do a repair and fix the problem without too much hassle.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #85 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 12:40am

HEY!!

SUCCESS!!

Yep, went like a piece of cake!  I did tweak my original w7--such trust in you both Smiley-- imaged it and put it on the extra hdd OS partition...

such a neat thing...  now I don't need worry about the original... already done Smiley

Yippee!  You both got your gold star for today... Smiley

and...
it is only 11:38pm... didn't even take till midnight Smiley

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #86 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 12:45am

@
Brian
@
NightOwl

didja see??  didja see??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #87 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 12:48am

@
roxe

Nice smile.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #88 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 12:52am

@
Brian

ok, one more question... what will happen when I re-image w7 back to the original hdd it came from??

will it do anything to the hdd ID???

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #89 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 12:59am

@
roxe

Congrats!

Now we can go to bed too  Wink !

Quote:
I did tweak my original w7--such trust in you both -- imaged it and put it on the extra hdd OS partition...

Well, that should meet the *different disk signature* test--so I think we can say that the *generalization* has worked.

If you're now comfortable that Ghost 2003 is working correctly with your Win7 OS, you could do the final quick test of restoring the image back to the original Win7 HDD.  It should go without a hitch, and will make you more confident that you can use your latest backup image to restore to if something goes wrong.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print