Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 15.0 - Question about hot imaging of drive C (Read 7697 times)
DBragg
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 15.0 - Question about hot imaging of drive C
Jul 21st, 2014 at 3:41pm

I have used Ghost 2003 on my XP machines since 12/2003.  I always preferred to boot from a floppy to create a partition or disk image.  I have used computers since 1982 and working with DOS never bothered me.  I felt more comfortable making an image of my operating system partition when the operating system was definitely not running.

Now I have a new Windows 7 Pro system and a licensed copy of Ghost 15.0.  I do know that Ghost is no longer being supported.

I understand that Ghost can back up the operating system partition (C: for me) by starting the process in Windows (hot imaging).  Does anyone know how this is done (technical mechanism) so the entire drive C is backed up properly?

I can see how it would be done with the cold imaging method since you don't really start Windows.  I apologize if this was answered in another topic.  I didn't get any hits when I used the search engine.  Thanks for any education you can provide.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 15.0 - Question about hot imaging of drive C
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:02pm

@
DBragg

The explanation is long and tedious but basically Ghost uses its own snapshot driver to "freeze" the system and create a snapshot prior to the image being created. From Vista onwards Ghost can also use VSS to create the snapshot. Most imaging apps now rely on VSS although the TeraByte apps and Drive Snapshot also offer the use of their own snapshot driver. Try a Google search for VSS snapshots.

Once the snapshot has been taken any changes made to the OS partition will not be included in the image, so you can continue to work while the image is being created. If your OS becomes infected with a virus while the image is being created, the image will be virus free.

Don't worry about hot imaging as it is proven technology.

Windows 7 has an included imaging app but it is rough and ready compared with Ghost 15.

IP Logged

FromNashville
Dude

I Love Radified!

Re: Ghost 15.0 - Question about hot imaging of drive C
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2014 at 2:08pm

I have Win 7 Ultimate with Ghost 15.  I differential backup the operating system Drive C each day.

Because weekly I install a number of programs to test them I use the Ghost restore CD to  restore my Win 7 about once a month.

My data is on the F drive and I use Genie to backup the data files because Genie is not effected by a defrag like Ghost is.

Ghost is the "best" to restore the OS. . .  Grin . . . I have never had a problem with Ghost.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print