Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Second SCSI HDD not showing in Windows? (Read 20126 times)
EvilHorace
Dude

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Milwaukee, WI

Second SCSI HDD not showing in Windows?
Mar 16th, 2002 at 9:42pm

I'm running both my original SCSI X15 and the new one, the new (second) one is jumped for SCSI=1 at both J6 and J5 as per instructions, the startup screen shows both SCSI HDDs but Win2K isn't showing the extra HDD in My Comp (not partitioned, as is.....low level formatted according to Seagates writen info but I'd assume that it'd be OK and show up?).
  Doesn't matter what I set the Cmos (in Bios) to. The SCSI configuration (ctrl, c) shows both drives too so it's just Windows that's not seeing it so far.
  Any ideas?

[img]http://www.pcabusers.com/images/evil2.gif[img]
IP Logged

Rad_XP

Re: Second SCSI HDD not showing in Windows?
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2002 at 10:07pm

I think you're supposed to use *either/or* jumpers .. not both. At least that's what I did.

If you didn't partition, Windows won't see it. Why didn't you partition it?

Are you gonna make it NTFS? You can do that from w2k (right click on drive) after partitioning with fdisk.

Getting my ass kicked. Installed new X15-35LP, but for some reasons w2k swaps drive letters on the x15 & my 36LZX. The X15 (scsi id 2) is getting drive letters before 36LZX (SCSI ID 0). Ain't supposed to do that. Doesn't do it in WinME.

When w2k boots, it gets confused, cuz it things it's on F (it was installed to F), but now it's E .. go into loop near desktop .. never reaches desktop. Safe mode doesn't help. Restored 3 different images .. sux.

I could play with scsi ids, but screw it. Gonna re-install from scratch .. haven't had to do that for 18 months (knock on wood). Figure that, if I gotta re-install anyway, might as well get that new CPU I been wanting.

http://radified.com/CPU/intel_northwood_pentium_4.htm

Ordered Northwood P4 1.6A ($136). Gonna rock & roll to 2.13GHz ($500). Posting this from XP on X15 .. just making sure there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the drive.

Partition your drive with fdisk in dos.

IP Logged

Rad_XP

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2002 at 10:12pm

What drivers/bios are you using for yer Tekram U3W for different O/S'es?

You know they have new bios (4.19)?

They have same drivers for w2k sive July, 2000. wtf?

What about LSI/Symbios drivers? You heard anything good about the 1010 chipset drivers from LSI.

I have an U3W card, but never used cause the U2W was doing so well. Gonna use the U3W for the new build.

IP Logged

EvilHorace
Dude

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Milwaukee, WI

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2002 at 10:17pm

Guess I'll see if Fdisk will see it then. I wasn't sure if it was necessary. I'll do that tomorrow however as it's getting too late now and I'll have to R&R the drives, swap jumpers as I don't want the older HDD even plugged in whilst doing Fdisk (just in case.......) Shocked
 My Tekram drivers are the same as the ones I used originally for Win2K, havent needed to upgrade them.

IP Logged

Rad_XP

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2002 at 10:43pm

You don't have to disconnect to fdisk .. chicken Smiley

I used the jumpers on the opposite side of the drive from the 68-pin connector.

This X15-36LP is one *heavy* drive. They must be using lead platters.

IP Logged

EvilHorace
Dude

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Milwaukee, WI

Now I'm stuck
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 10:21am

"You don't have to disconnect to fdisk .. chicken "
    so you say BUT I don't even know to to start FDISK from Win2K and I have my doubts that FDISK will properly indentify the new HDD vs the old one (the one that works) SO I unplugged the old one completely (no need to change jumpers).

Started FDISK from Win98 boot disk as I've done before but I've already done something wrong as I'm stuck. I had FDISK create the primary DOS partition but I wasn't looking at Docs instructions close enough and had it create the largest DOS partition possible (was suppose to say NO there apparently) and then it says to remove the disk and reboot before proceeding so I did BUT now.....I can't get past the startup screen because all it's saying is "NO Operating system installed" and I can't get a prompt now. Any ideas? If and once I can get it past that and back into FDISK, I'll have to delete the large DOS partition and start from scratch again. ???

IP Logged

EvilHorace
Dude

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Milwaukee, WI

Norton Ghost 2002 interactive users guide info
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 11:07am

8)
  I'm looking at the VERY COOL interactive users guide tutorial at Symantecs site AND it looks like I'm in luck, it doesn't matter what's on the second HDD and it doesn't need to be formatted first.
   Looks like a piece of cake as all I want to do is completely copy the entire contents of my older X15 to the new one and Ghost does just that with ease.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.......
   The only thing I've still gotta research is changing partition sizes using Ghost as I won't need 3 partitions anymore, just 2 as it dual boots. I know that Patition Magic 7.0 does that with ease too so we'll see.

IP Logged

Rad_XP

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 11:37am

If you're not familar with fdisk, you should read up on it *before* jumping in.

Check which drive is *active* .. that'll be you initial boot drive, altho you can boot from others, all your initial boot info (i.e. boot.ini) will go to the active partition.

You may have inadventently made the 3-LP active by disconecting the x15.

I don't like when I can't boot.

If you use ghost, make sure you read up on it first. You can end up losing everything if you screw up.

I told you fdisk would see/partition the drive. Smiley

drop a link to the very cool symantec interactive thing-a-ma-jog .. so i can see what you're so excited about.

Partition Magic should be used as a last resort if you can't do it any other way. It can be a lifesaver, but I've heard too many horror stories. You can move data without using PM.

What are you gonna do with the second drive?

IP Logged

EvilHorace
Dude

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Milwaukee, WI

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 12:00pm

The boot problem was simply due to the fact that I forgot that I earlier switched the boot sequence, now solved, DOS partition deleted.
  How can Ghost damage my primary HDD when all it's doing is copying FROM it, not too it? The program is made to do that.

I have PM 7.0 and used it on this older XP machine as it has 2 IDE HDDs and had way too many small partitions as I originally thought it was a good idea (old Win95 thing I guess?). Re-sizing (removing) all partitions was a piece of cake and I now have only one large partition on each HDD, no loss of any info, no problems whatsoever. IMHO, PM 7.0 Rocks!
   The ONLY thing I'm still considering with this PC is going back to Win2K in it (no easy thing, must re-do the whole shottin' match) as I've concluded that I definately do not like XP Pro at all, runs slower than Win2K and way too much BS eye candy for me (IE "bloatware"). Win2K on the other hand is a great OS overall, even runs great on my laptop.

IP Logged

Rad_XP

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 12:16pm

there's a problem w/ wxp + scsi. see here:

http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=1758&highlight=

perhaps you can run atto & confirm.

ghost is not a prgm you learn by 'clicking around'.

r u gonna image + restore or clone? if clone, see here:

http://ghost.radified.com/norton_ghost_4.htm

do yourself a favor & spend 15 minutes learning about the prgm. i hate to see a grown man cry.

IP Logged

Rad_XP

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 12:19pm

pm7 *does* rock. but it also bites. it only takes once. it's not the partitioning panacea it appears to be. if you *need* to use it, it can be a lifeaver ..  but you don't need it.

IP Logged

EvilHorace
Dude

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Milwaukee, WI

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 12:25pm

Guess I'll try FDISKing now as Ghost doesn't see the new X15 now, only sees one drive Sad

Oh, this PC (older one running XP) is not SCSI, it's a slow-butted dual antique 5,400rpm Maxtor(s) HDD PC, the C366@550mhz PC (256mb ram). XP might run better on a faster machine but this one's noticeably slower now with XP compared to it's previous Win2K OS. I can effectively choke this thing to a standstill by multitasking a few programs together at the same time, requires hitting the ol' off switch to reboot (sucks Sad)

IP Logged

EvilHorace
Dude

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Milwaukee, WI

Ghost doesn't see the other SCSI drive!
Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 1:42pm

I've now successfully FDISK'd and formatted the new X15 and Windows sees it as Drive I (after ALL the other drives, not a problem as I know that's cureable) BUT......Ghost fails to see more than one HDD even though I've also clicked around in the options list. If nothing else, I'll have to check their tech support info.

As for the warnings noted above about Ghost, the only one that makes sense to me is the one about disconnecting the second (copied HDD) before rebooting after making an exact copy thus possibly screwing up the registry HOWEVER here's what's in print from the "printable instructions" at Symantec:
................................................................................
................................................................................
D. Remove the bootable floppy disk and start the computer. The computer will load Windows from the destination drive.
NOTE: In some instances, Windows might reassign the drive letters for any partition that is not the Active bootable partition. If it does, applications might look for files on the wrong partition. If this happens, you might need to change drive letters, or move the contents of one or more partitions from the destination drive to an empty partition on the source drive. If you move the contents of a partition, use the empty partition that now has the drive letter that previously had the files. For instance, if data was located on drive D before you cloned the drive, Windows might reassign drive letters so that the data drive is now drive E, and the empty primary partition on the source drive is now drive D. If so, move the contents of the data drive from drive E to drive
 The other one in RED about all data being destroyed on the "target" (or destination drive)  HDD, that's always a message whenever formatting any type of drive because formatting always destroys all the original data on the TARGET drive (not the drive which info is being copied FROM however, can't happen IMO).

So.......apparently, I think there's something unique about SCSI HDDs that Ghost 2002 isn't seeing as of yet and I'll dig around a bit more at their website while trying to do various other tasks around here. I'm sure that there's a good reason for this but ........

IP Logged

Rad_XP

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 4:59pm

I've never had a prob seeing any SCSI drives.

NTFS?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 5:25pm

Okay, I'm back as 'Radministrator' .. couldn't remember my dang password .. and I can't get into W2K ..

Did you know that they're calling the Northwood the next C300a?

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cpus/intel/p416a/

Ghost can't see NTFS partitions cuz DOS doesn't support NTFS and Ghost works from DOS.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print