Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CD won't burn -- filenames too long (Read 5697 times)
phenarius
Dude

CD won't burn -- filenames too long
Mar 20th, 2002 at 8:27am

Using Easy CD Creator 5 or Direct CD I have the same problem: I am trying to burn a CD of my (very extensive) IE Favorites, and a number of the filenames exceed the (I believe 64-character) limit the software will accept.  The programs  come to a halt at the first excessive filename.  I can change that name, but there are too many files with excessive characters to start over after changing each one.  I need a list of these names so I can change them all.

I use W98 SE and the Find Files utility doesn't seem to allow me to make a list of files exceeding a certain number of characters in the name.  Is there a utility I can use so I can find the files that have names in excess of n characters?  There are thousands of files in hundreds of folders, so I don't want to sort these manually!

I need to change the filenames to conform to limits -- or use another burning application?

Thanks!

phenarius

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: CD won't burn -- filenames too long
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2002 at 11:00am

what if you just zipped or rar'ed the directory so that your burning app only saw one file? .. such as favorite.zip

IP Logged

phenarius
Dude

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2002 at 11:37am

Sir,

Your suggestion is so obvious that

1.  It clearly cannot work. Wink
2.  I didn't think of it. Cry

Thanks -- I'll give it a try.

phenarius

IP Logged

phenarius
Dude

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2002 at 10:03am

Of course the zipping technique worked fine.

Maybe for some purposes this wouldn't do, so I summarize here additional information I have found re the long filename problem in burning CDs:

1. Read http://www.cdrfaq.org
on the Subject: [3-5] "How do I get long filenames onto a disc?"

2. Good burning applications that accept filenames in excess of 64 characters are "Click n Burn" and also VOB's "Instant CD/DVD".

3.  Find all your filenames in excess of n characters by using the Windows File Finder on your target folder(s) and search using question marks -- the appropriate number of question marks for the number of characters you seek, followed by *.*

phenarius

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2002 at 10:24am

Glad it worked for you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print