Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
8.0ms seek time or 8mb cache?? (Read 4399 times)
voltaic

8.0ms seek time or 8mb cache??
Jul 23rd, 2002 at 8:18pm

After reading the entire SCSI guide I realized that deciding which hard drive to buy wasn't that easy..

I'm pretty much stuck with two choices. One is Maxtor Diamondmax 80gb with an average of 8.0ms seek time and 2mb of cache. On the other hand the Wester Digital WD800JB has a large 8mb cache but it's seek time is pretty high, 9.7ms.
(Got those values from storagereview.com)

I'll use one of these two as a boot drive. Which one should I choose?

Or do you recommend another drive?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: 8.0ms seek time or 8mb cache??
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2002 at 9:08pm

u realize that neither of these drives are scsi?

i just checked the storagereview 'leaderboard'. they've selected the western digital 1200jb as their 7200rpm ata drive of choice in that category:

http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl/http://www.storagereview.com/articles/le...

i'd go with that, but i doubt u'll notice any appreciable difference between the two you mentioned. both are fine (ide/ata) drives.

i use a few of the ibm 120gxp drives for cheap storage myself (while booting from x15-36lp).

IP Logged

voltaic

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2002 at 9:41pm

I realize they're just IDE, but after you emphasized seek times so much I though maybe 1ms would make a difference Smiley

I think I'll go with SCSI after all as an upgrade since the system I'm building is already too expensive.

Thanks for the advice tho..

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2002 at 10:00pm

scsi drives are so cheap these days. you can get an x15-36lp for about us$200 (3.6ms seek). this drive will last you for years. and you don't need more than 18 gigs to run your o/s & apps. well, you've read the guide, so u know my logic.

IP Logged

voltaic

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2002 at 10:16pm

I agree. They are relatively cheap ($220 at newegg) but with the controller they cost about $400. So yeah they're not for everyone, as you said..

I'm wondering what will happen with serial IDE interfaces though. They're still trying to make things faster and faster while leaving the seek times as they are. It's kinda sad.

By the way thanks for all the information you're sharing with people on this site, just discovered it Smiley Very informative and objective.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2002 at 6:53pm

I haven't researched serial ata very much, but the few threads that i did read seemed to say that users weren't very excited about it. it you take a yugo (slow car) and take it off a 2-lane dirt road and put it on the autobahn (road capable of supporting fast cars), it will still be a slow car.

time will tell.

glad you like the site.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print