Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixing NTFS and FAT32 Partitions (Read 2703 times)
jimshu1
Radmeister

Mixing NTFS and FAT32 Partitions
Jul 25th, 2002 at 3:48pm

I'm looking at a clean install of Windows XP Pro on my C:\partition. I currently run Windows 98SE with the following partitions. All partitions are currently FAT32:

Primary HD (primary master)
C:\ Operating System + Applications
D:\ Games

Secondary HD (secondary slave)
E:\ Misc. files/storage
F:\ GHOST Images of C,D, & E

1. Can I just convert my C:\ partition to the NTFS file system for the Windows XP installation + Applications install? In other words, can I just format the one partition with NTFS, leaving the D:\ FAT32 partition alone (on the same drive)? I heard you do this during the XP install.

2. Are there any issues on file copying/moving between a NTFS and FAT32 partition?

GHOST 2002 (consumer version) can image a NTFS partition onto a FAT32 partition, but not onto a NTFS partition. My F:\ partition will still be FAT32, so no problem.

3. Will GHOST be able to restore a NTFS partition image from my F:\ FAT32 partition back to my C:\ NTFS partition?

4. Any better suggestions on what I should do with my two drive/four partition arrangement?

Thanks for any replies!

-Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 b2600 w/all updates&&-ASUS CUSL2&&-PIII 1000EB FC-PGA2&&-DVD Drive: TOSHIBA 16X MODEL SD-M1712&&-CDRW: ASUS CRW-4816A

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Mixing NTFS and FAT32 Partitions
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2002 at 7:07pm

First, that was a nice, clear post. Makes it easier to answer.

Is C your only primary partition?

I would leave W98SE on C (just in case you run into problems, you'll still have an O/S), move everything on E elsewhere, reformat E (FAT32) to wipe it clean (not necessary but can't hurt), then send WXP to your E drive and have it convert/format that partition as NTFS during the install.

WXP will automatically set up a dual-boot for you (very easy to use).

I always like my C: to be FAT32, so that I can access it from DOS (which many disk utilities use). DOS can't read/see NTFS.

The only problem you'll run into is that W98 won't be able to see/access E, and, when you're in W98, it will see your F as E (cuz it won't see E).

Create a back-up image (Ghost) of C b4 doing anything, in case you do something stupid, such as reformat C by mistake.

WXP will be able to see everything (both NTFS + FAT32).

Read the section labeled 'NTFS' at the bottom of this page:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_caveat.htm

IP Logged

jimshu1
Radmeister

Re: Mixing NTFS and FAT32 Partitions
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 4:47am

Gotcha.  Thanks for the reply!

-Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 b2600 w/all updates&&-ASUS CUSL2&&-PIII 1000EB FC-PGA2&&-DVD Drive: TOSHIBA 16X MODEL SD-M1712&&-CDRW: ASUS CRW-4816A

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print