Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ghost backup will not use second IDE HDD (Read 4645 times)
BRIAN FLACK

ghost backup will not use second IDE HDD
Jan 13th, 2004 at 7:19pm

Installed second brand new HDD. Partitioned it with Partition magic 7. Two drives thus :- first drive C: with Windows XP and F: logical partition
New drive with 3 partitions G: primary  H: logical and I: logical all NFTS formatted by Partition Magic. Tried to Ghost backup an image of C: partition to G: to give WIN XP system backup. Ghost backup fails with error code 40202 "Cannot find drive with specified disk ID. You may need to load additional drives to access this drive." The new drive is a ordinary Western Digital 40gb IDE HDD. I can Ghost backup to 4 or 5 CDs OK but would prefer to go partition to partition. Can anyone advise please? Brian

IP Logged

Bubba

Re: ghost backup will not use second IDE HDD
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2004 at 7:27pm

You may need PM v8.0.

You can try FDISK:

http://fdisk.radified.com/

Did you format with PM or from within Windows? (Windows would be better).

Quick format? (quick is bad)

Did you try to create the image from, within Windows or from a Ghost boot floppy? (a Ghost boot floppy would be better).

IP Logged

Brian Flack

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 9:03am

Thanks Bubba. To answer your points:-
I formatted with Partition magic 7. It just did it without me choosing a speed.
I tried to create the image from within Windows to the HDD, as Ghost 2003 allows you to do it without resorting to a floppy.
As I now have NFTS partitions on my "new" disk, I believe that FDISK will not delete these partitions, if I chose to begin again and reforamt with FDISK
I can still back up to CDs but would prefer to use a partition on the new HDD

IP Logged

Bubba

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 9:26am

I would try formatting one of the partitons from Windows (right-click & selct format). Then try to save your image there.

I would also try using a Ghost boot floppy. Just because Ghost lets you create an image from Windows, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Most agree that using a Ghost boot floppy is better. It is worth trying.

Have you compared the features and see the differences between PM v7 & v8? That might reveal something.

Yes, to the hard drive would be better, faster and more reliable. You want to get that working.

IP Logged

bpzoom
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 12:27pm

Bubba, Thanks again. I did what you suggested and reformatted partition G: on the second drive. I used the Norton ghost boot floppy as you said. It did not give me the choice of imaging to the second drive. It only listed DRive 1 with C:. the floppy and the two CD drives as destinations. Perhaps this is because I am using Norton 2003 which does not need floppies? Anyway I tried again with Ghost from within Windows. Same error as before. Last night I had also contacted tech. support at Symantec (Partion Magic). After two attemps they produced their final word on the subject. I quote Symantec:_
"But the issue with Partition Magic and Ghost is as follows: If you are
using Partition Magic with Ghost 2003 then this is a unsupported configuration.  Partition Magic does not allow Ghost to correctly
access the partition information on the drive."
I have sent an email to the head of this forum for advice.
Finally I tried a backup image of partition C to CDR. After 30 minutes the third CD failed """  Oh Dear, Brian

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 1:27pm

That blows.

I feel yer pain.

Got your mail.

I responded.

You have many options available.