Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restore Problem when mixing Ghost 2003 Builds (Read 14003 times)
jc

Restore Problem when mixing Ghost 2003 Builds
Jun 16th, 2004 at 9:49pm

I've noticed that there are multiples build of Norton Ghost 2003 available. And I've encountered problems when restoring an image using a different build than that the image was made from.

Here's a rundown of the versions I've detected.

-Build 775 (from original install CD Norton SystemWorks Pro 2003)

-Build 789
  (from Norton Ghost 2003 Live Update2)

"This update improves Ghost's compatibility with certain USB drives and controllers, and addresses an issue with newer Intel chipsets."

-Build 793
  (from Norton Ghost 2003 Live Update3)

"This update improves support for Disk Drive Overlays and Linux boot loaders, and provides better handling of very fragmented or compressed files within NTFS images."

I've never been able to get Ghost to boot from floppy when using Build 775 (I suppose the issue with my newer Intel chipset was picked up by Build 789)

Here's the problem I noticed:

If I create an image using Build 789 and then restore that image with Build 793, I get a flaky restore. The results vary from restore to restore, but I've seen it actually drop the registration information on one of my programs once. This is not cool. The point of Ghost is to be able to restore a system to exactly where it was previously.

I'm posting about this for two reasons:

1. To give a heads up about this. If you're using Ghost from within Windows you may not even be aware that the Ghost.exe was updated (if you're using automatic updates from within Norton). The only reason I picked this up was because I was comparing a couple of floppy boot disks I made on different systems.

2. To see if anyone else has run into this or any other problems with Ghost 2003 Build 793 (from the Live Update3)

Later,

jc

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Re: Restore Problem when mixing Ghost 2003 Builds
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 1:43am

Hmmm... thanks for the tip.

1) It seems like it would pay to keep the previous build boot disk(s); and keep track of the images belonging to that build.

or

2) Make new boot disk(s) and new images after each update.

Symantec appears to be somewhat more illogical in their approach than even M$ is. I can waste HOURS trying to find stuff in their knowledge base.  Undecided

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 5:54am

I use the stand alone Ghost 2003 and it is presumably updated via LiveUpdate to the latest standard.

ghost.exe resides in C:\Program\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003 and there is no information on the build.
Created date = 14 Aug 2002
Ammended date = 24 Dec 2003

Other files in the same folder, like ghost.exe, display no information on the build but others do, such as:

gdisk32.exe = 2003.0.0.793 but no build for gdisk.exe
Ghostexp.exe = 2003.0.0.775
GhostStart.exe = 2003.0.0.793
GhostStartService.exe = 2003.0.0.775

Anyone else using the stand alone Ghost 2003?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 11:14am

Christer

Quote:
ghost.exe resides in C:\Program\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003 and there is no information on the build.

Open a DOS box in the Ghost directory where 'ghost.exe' is located and at the prompt type      
'ghost -ver' without the quotes and you will get the build #.

You can also go to the 'Ghost' directory on your floppy disk in drive A:\ and do the same command.

My results:

Quote:
D:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost>ghost -ver
Norton Ghost 2003 (build=793, cdrlib=3.1.25)
Copyright (C) 1998-2003 Symantec Corp. All rights reserved.

But here's a kicker, if you load a ghost image into Ghost Explorer, highlight it and then click on the 'File' menu and select properties, my image made with Ghost 2003, build 793 says it was 'Produced by Ghost Version 7.60'!

I guess being consistent is not a priority for the Symantec software engineers!

BTW--jc--thanks for the heads-up post.  Rad's guide notes that you  have to make new boot disks in order for the floppies to have the most recent ghost version after an update, but I don't believe it mentions any problems when using an image that was created by a different version of ghost.  I see a guide update in the making Smiley.

I guess it makes some sense that as the versions of Ghost change, compatibility with how Ghost handle images from other versions may change.  One more thing to 'keep track of'.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 2:04pm

NightOwl,
I checked in the XP equivalent of a DOS window, the command prompt and saw the same information as You did - build=793.

In Ghost Explorer, file properties, "Produced by Ghost version 7.60" is probably a spill over from the corporate version. I seem to remember that corporate versions have version numbers like that ...... Undecided ......

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 11:13pm

NightOwl,

Quote:
Open a DOS box in the Ghost directory

huh??

How you do that?

BTW, I really like the expression on Tweetie's face Cheesy

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 2:46am

roxe

Quote:
huh??

Go to Start/Run and type 'command' without the quotes--you get a 'MS-DOS Prompt' Window--I call it a 'Dos Box'.

Mine opens with a prompt of C:\Windows\Desktop.

My Ghost directory is here:

D:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost

So I type at the Dos Prompt 'D:' without the quotes and then Enter to change to the D-partition.  If the Dos Prompt is in a directory you do not want to be, type 'cd \' without the quotes, and Enter and that will take you to the 'root' directory of that partition, i.e. D:\>

I then type 'cd Program Files' without the quotes and then Enter to change to the sub-directory of Program Files (cd means change directory in Dos).

Then 'cd Norton SystemWorks' without the quotes and Enter

Then 'cd Norton Ghost' without the quotes and Enter.

Now type 'Ghost -ver' and you'll get the version and build for your ghost program in that directory.

To check your floppy disk ghost version:

Start/Run 'command', Enter
'a:', Enter
cd 'Ghost', Enter
'Ghost -ver', Enter

If you have it setup on your system, you can use Windows Explorer to open the Dos Box in the directory you wish by highlighting the directory, then click the right mouse button, and select 'Command Prompt Here', and the Dos Box will already have that directory showing.  But that command in the right mouse button menu has to be added, it's not there by default.  Do a Google search on 'Command Prompt Here' and you'll find how to add it, but beware--many of the methods are for XP and may be inappropriate for Win98.

Quote:
BTW, I really like the expression on Tweetie's face

Thanks.  I found that using a Goggle search.  I'm playing around with setting up a personal web page that I can post images to so I can bring them into this forum.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 1:32am

Thanks! NightOwl Cheesy

You are always so helpful.

Quote:
Go to Start/Run and type 'command' without the quotes--you get a 'MS-DOS Prompt' Window--I call it a 'Dos Box'.

Oh,  Embarrassed that's on my Start menu under Programs as MS-DOS Prompt  Embarrassed 
(i'm REALLY embarassed)
I wondered if that's what you were talking about.

Here is my info:
Norton Ghost 2003 (build=793, cdrlib=3.1.25)
Copyright (C) 1998-2003 Symantec Corp. All rights reserved.

Thanks! again for doing more teaching Grin

ps. Yep, will look into getting that on my right mouse menu...

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 2:11am

roxe

Quote:
Oh,   that's on my Start menu under Programs as MS-DOS Prompt    (i'm REALLY embarassed) I wondered if that's what you were talking about.

As with most things 'Windows', there are usually several ways to accomplish the same thing Wink.

IP Logged

Dan

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2005 at 2:34am

could someone email me the updated DOS Iomega ASPIEHCI.SYS driver (5/28/2003 -v.12?) please Wink
dansmails@gmail.com

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2005 at 5:35am

Dan

Does this help--it doesn't say what version it is:

Troubleshooting external USB hard drive problems

IP Logged

Dan

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2005 at 7:20am

Grin NightOwl
Excellent find!, I'll never know how you found it in Symantecs site  Roll Eyes
file is v.11, 13 mar 03 not the latest v.12, nevertheless my USB thumb drive now gets a letter assigned!!
Gr8 work mate, thanks again
Dan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print