Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"cannot create partition on drive 1" wit (Read 3820 times)
TMTWatcher
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

UK

"cannot create partition on drive 1" wit
Jun 24th, 2004 at 4:36pm

I have an old Toshiba Satellite 210CT with Win 98se which has a 1.2GB HD, with 250MB free. 

I want to reformat the C: drive.  However my version of Win98SE is on CD and my laptop cannot boot from CD.

Therefore I want to create a new 200MB partition using Partition Magic 7 Pro and copy the Win98se setup files into the new partition.  Then I can format C: and reinstall Windows from D:, and will be able to easily do the same again in the future.

This is where my problem starts.

If I use the "create" option I get "cannot create partition on drive1".  If I try to split the current partition it boots to dos (as it should) and appears to be working ok, but then after it appears to have completed the split I get a message saying "error 2207 error exetuting batch, will now reboot" or something similar.  This error message is not included in the troubleshooting guide in the pdf manual.

The laptop is above the minimum spec for PM7.  I have done a thorough scan disk (no problems) and a disc defrag.  I  have uninstalled my Antivirus app and don't think I have any other apps installed which could be causing the problem.

Can anyone explain why I am having these problems? Is it possible that some HD's can't be partitioned?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: "cannot create partition on drive 1"
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 4:52pm

TMTWatcher

Have you made a backup of your hard drive information just in case Partition Magic slams you?  Partition Magic has never hurt me, but I see references that it can happen.

I think you need to 'resize' the single partition to create your 200 MB free space at the end of the disk, then create an extended partition, and then a logical drive formated in the flavor of your choice.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

TMTWatcher
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

UK

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 5:05pm

thanks Nightowl

The same thought occurred to me and I'm actually doing that as I type this reply - it seems to be working - I'll report back

IP Logged

TMTWatcher
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

UK

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 5:33pm

SUCCESS!!!

thanks again

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator