Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Video Editing... separate copy of WinXP (Read 4806 times)
bb
N00b

Long Island

Video Editing... separate copy of WinXP
Sep 19th, 2004 at 1:59am

I've just finished my own version of the Black Beast.  Sweeeeeeet!  Again, many thanks to the almighty Radministrator for all the incredible info found in these pages.

Q:  I'll be doing a fair amount of video editing and was wondering........

In the "Radified Partioning Stradegies" its suggested that a secondary copy of WinXP OS be placed on the system/boot drive in a separate partition "dedicated solely for video editing".   The separate physical hard drive(s) for storage and capturing makes total sense.  Its not clear to me though, why the second 'dedicated' video editing WinXP is preferable.

Is there something stupid simple I'm not getting?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Video Editing... separate copy of WinXP
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 3:02am

Hey.

Most people have many programs installed to their copy of WXP, such as these

http://radified.com/TheBest/programs_02.htm

and these

http://radified.com/Articles/freeware.htm

Altho all these programs *should* cooperate peacefully, you don't have to use computers for very long to know that things don't always work the way they should.

Every additional program you install increases the likihood of generating some quirky glitch/conflict, especially because many of prgms install resident programs running in the background that start with Windows (hit CTRL-ALT-DEL > Processes to see).

Add to this that computers were never designed to edit video and you can see that your best chance of having a stable, glitch-free system comes when the editing app is the only thing installed & running.

What prgm are you using to edit vdo?

IP Logged

bb
N00b

Long Island

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 12:43pm

Thanks.    Yes, understood about the 'clunky' nature of Win and all the background process nonsense, but was curious if there was something else inherent in the WXP/editing process that caused it to be happier working alone.  Will definately give it its very own world to live in.

Re: "What prgm are you using to edit vdo?"
I'll be running Premiere (ala Adobe video suite).  I have Final Cut Pro 4 at work but wanted to play with Win environment at home.  May switch to Avid if Adobe tics me off (I've heard it can do that).  The price was right for Premiere... so I'll give it a go.

Thanks again, Rad.  Its really a pleasure to have the 'simple' questions answered without getting flamed.
later

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 6:16pm

Is that the "Pro" version of Premiere? I head it was significantly improved over the regular version.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a better editing tool than Final Cut. Apple simply makes a nice product there. Too bad you need a Mac.  Angry

If you decide to go the Avid route, you can get a significant discount here:

http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=7879

US$295. That's where all my friends get it. Everybody knows a student.

Regularly $1600

http://www.videoguys.com/XpressPro.html

It's good to be familiar with a variety of editing prgms to be able to compare & contrast.

Tell me about your beast.

IP Logged

bb
N00b

Long Island

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 12:39am

Re: Is that the "Pro" version of Premiere? I head it was significantly improved over the regular version. 
Yes, Premiere Pro and
Yes, I've heard the same. We'll see  Undecided

Re: "If you decide to go the Avid route, you can get a significant discount here: http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=7879      US$295. That's where all my friends get it. Everybody knows a student.   Regularly $1600"
Thanks, Rad... great site.  Actually, I work within academia and am familiar with these prices.  Avid is giving some insane deep discounts in the ed. market... generally 80% off.  Grin   The full-blown Avid Studio ( prod. software w/all major plug-ins, Mojo, Pro Tools etc.) is marked down from $7,000 (street) to around $2,700. Even so, a bit steep... I can't justify it for my home needs... but still an intense deal.

Re: "Tell me about your beast."
Not a whole lot to tell.... basically I stole your entire design...  w/ a few tangents.  I had never built a system (hands on) from the ground up.  Did a lot of research and found your specs to make the most sense. Thanks again.

Case: Lian Li PC-61 (w/slight Crazy PC mod thrown in  Embarrassed )
P.S.: Enermax EG475 AX SFMA
MoBo: ASUS P4C800-E-Deluxe
CPU: P4 3.2C (slight upgrade  Shocked )
RAM: Kingston HYPERX 1GB DDR (matched pair) *
System Drive: WD Raptor 74GB SATA 10,000rpm **
Storage Drive: Seagate 200GB 7200.7 Plus
Video Drive: Seagate 200GB 7200.7 SATA
DVD: Pioneer A107 (had it already)
CDRW: Plextor PX Prem. 52X
Graphics: ATI 9600XT
Capture Board: TBD
Sound: Audigy 2 (upgrade later as needed)

* corsair vs. kingston vs.  vs.  vs. vs. ......
searched and searched and searched and everyone's got a story! My head was about to explode... Went with Kingston  ???

**  All your SCSI info makes perfect sense and was very enlightening.  I've shared it with associates.  Technologically, there's no doubt in my mind that SCSI is the 'way to go' for a system drive. Unfortunately, to this day, I bolt upright in the middle of the night, plagued by recurring, horrific nightmares from the first generations of SCSI.  Decided to play w/ hi rpm SATA and see what happens.  Hey, life is short... omit stress where you can.

later...bb

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 2:12am

Quote:
to this day, I bolt upright in the middle of the night, plagued by recurring, horrific nightmares from the first generations of SCSI.

Made me laugh out loud. Yeah, early SCSI was a bear. But now with a BIOS it's a snap. How do you like the Raptor? I gues I'm squeamish about SATA as it's a new technology.

You might want to read the daily entries I made here:

http://radified.com/Archives/may_2004.htm

from 12May2004 to 20May2004, especially the one from 20May.

Nice system. You should be proud.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print