These following free software programs (freeware) are recommended by Rad readers.
• 3dmark - Benchmark your system's ability to generate 3D images, very popular, especially if you have a powerful 3D graphics card.
• 7Zip - File archiver [like WinZip or WinRAR]
Reader - PDF file reader from Adobe, almost ubiquitous. Many of the more popular Radified guides are available for download in PDF format, but you need the pay version of Acrobat to be able to write PDF files.
- Remove data-mining software from your system. You need this. It's best when loaded and updated *before* you connect to the Internet .. with a new system. This prevents the nasty criters from getting in your system. Once in, they can be difficult to extract. Same thing goes for Spybot (see below).
- Tons of goodies
• AntiVir - AntiVirus, Mikaela swears by it. The boys at Anand's claim it has the best detection rate of the freebies.
Instant Messenger (AIM) - Chat with online friends realtime, very
popular. You don't need to subscribe to AOL (AO Hell) as your ISP (Internet Service Provider) in order to use this program.
- Web server for Windows, Apache for UNIX is the world's most popular
web server. This page you are reading was served by Apache, from the RADIFIED server, physically located in Atlanta.
UPDATE - February, 2006: Radified changed web hosts to Lunarpages, whose servers are physically located in downtown Los Angeles. They are much faster than the old host.
- Hard drive benchmarking [Windows SCSI Utilities Bench32],
this • Audacity
- Audio Editor [like Sound Forge or WaveLab]
• FileZilla - FTP Client [like CuteFTP] I use this program almost every day. • FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec, open source. See here > Lossless Audio Compression < for more info about these types of programs. Open Source makes a compelling argument.
• FlasKMPEG - Video conversion [like Discreet Cleaner] • FreeAgent - News reader. Download & install the full Agent software. It will revert to FreeAgent after 30 days.
• FTP Explorer - FTP Client [like CuteFTP] Free only for students & faculty • GameSpy3D - Game browser, very popular. "Let's get it on with the killing"
• GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program [like Photoshop] • gmax - 3D modeling and animation [like 3D Studio MAX]
• Google Toolbar - Access the web's best search engine from your IE toolbar, very popular, now with pop-up blocking.
• GuildFTPD - FTP Server (not client)