Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost2003 v789 - GUEST freezes using maxtor OneTou (Read 8081 times)
turgon
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost2003 v789 - GUEST freezes using maxtor OneTou
Sep 23rd, 2004 at 10:37am

I have a Maxtor OneTouch external USB drive, formatted as FAT32. I wish to make an image of my Dell Optiplex GX270 (NTFS disk), onto this Maxtor disk. I wish to do this from DOS.

I create a boot disk, choosing USB 1.1 support. I boot my machine with it (Maxtor drive is connected). The Maxtor is recognized by the DOS device driver, but when GUEST runs, it freezes completely. Hard hang, must power off (no CTRL-ALT-DEL). If I don't use GUEST, Ghost starts. It sees both the internal IDE drive and the external USB drive as sources. I choose the IDE drive as source, and try to tell it to use the external USB as target. But no good - since the external USB has no drive letter, it doesn't appear as an option to save the image onto.

This all works fine with an Optiplex GX 150 - also NTFS internal IDE. No hangs, and the drive gets a drive letter, and I make images. But not the GX260/270 series.

I've tried the replacement USB drivers that are available here on this site, and they, too, do not assign a drive letter to the USB drive, so I can't choose it as a place to save images.

Any one have a hint?   ???

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost2003 v789 - GUEST freezes using maxtor On
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 11:09am

turgon

Quote:
I create a boot disk, choosing USB 1.1 support

Did you try USB 2.0 support?

Did you try PC-DOS vs MS-DOS on the boot disk?  I have only used MS-DOS with the Panasonic driver--so I do not know if PC-DOS works or not.

Quote:
I've tried the replacement USB drivers that are available here on this site, and they, too, do not assign a drive letter to the USB drive

Which replacement USB drivers?  At what point do they fail or hang?  Any error messages?  What's in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

turgon
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 11:33am

NightOwl wrote on Sep 23rd, 2004 at 11:09am:
turgon

Did you try USB 2.0 support?

Yes. No difference. GUEST hangs.

Quote:
Did you try PC-DOS vs MS-DOS on the boot disk?

No, because this disk with the PC-DOS installed by Ghost2003 works on all other machines. I'd have to go and dig up an actual MS-DOS boot disk somewhere and try.

Quote:
Which replacement USB drivers?  

The ones mentioned here - http://radified.com/Files/ - under the USB-DOS section. As described in this thread -
"A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!"
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954...

Quote:
At what point do they fail or hang?  Any error messages?

They do not fail or hang; they load and recognize the drive just fine (if slowly). What they don't do is assign a drive letter to the USB drive.

Quote:
 What's in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files?
[quote]

CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to follow:

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
BUFFERS=60
FILES=50

devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w
rem the following is an aspi mass storage driver for usb- connected HDs and compactflash memory cards
devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
REM
REM Load IDE CD driver, to access IDE CD drive
DEVICEHIGH=cd1.SYS /D:banana
LASTDRIVE=Z

DOS=HIGH,UMB

-------------------------------

@echo off

MSCDEX.EXE  /D:banana /L:R
MOUSE
CD \GHOST
GHOST

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 12:31pm

turgon

Quote:
No, because this disk with the PC-DOS installed by Ghost2003 works on all other machines. I'd have to go and dig up an actual MS-DOS boot disk somewhere and try.

You can download WinME boot disk from Rad's file download page here to get the MS-DOS files (under FDISK floppy):

http://radified.com/Files/

Quote:
They do not fail or hang; they load and recognize the drive just fine (if slowly). What they don't do is assign a drive letter to the USB drive.

When booting, try F8 when the system starts to load the floppy information and select 'step by step confirmation'.  'USBASPI.SYS' should recognize the USB HDD, and 'DI1000DD.SYS' should assign the drive letter.  What happens (i.e. any messages?) after you say yes to the 'devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS'?

How big is the USB HDD?  I do not know about this, but I've been wondering--many of the USB HDD's are now well past 120 GB's and I'm not sure if there is a size limit after which DOS chokes.  The USB HDD that I'm working with is 40 GB's.  You might try putting a 40 GB partition on the USB HDD and see if DOS can handle that and assigns a drive letter.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 12:50pm

turgon

Quote:
What's in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files?
[quote]

CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to follow:  

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS  
BUFFERS=60  
FILES=50  

devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w
rem the following is an aspi mass storage driver for usb- connected HDs and compactflash memory cards  
devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS  
REM
REM Load IDE CD driver, to access IDE CD drive
DEVICEHIGH=cd1.SYS /D:banana  
LASTDRIVE=Z  

DOS=HIGH,UMB  

-------------------------------  

@echo off  

MSCDEX.EXE  /D:banana /L:R  
MOUSE  
CD \GHOST
GHOST

How are you getting all these programs on one floppy, including the Ghost directory and program?

Another thought--are there any references to USB support in the BIOS?  May need to try either 'enable' or 'disable' to see if it helps (usually you want 'disable' so nothing interfers with the other driver).

Also, do you have any other USB devices attached.  Best to disconnect everything except the USB HDD when trying to use the DOS drivers.

IP Logged

turgon
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 1:30pm

NightOwl wrote on Sep 23rd, 2004 at 12:31pm:
turgon

You can download WinME boot disk from Rad's file download page here to get the MS-DOS files (under FDISK floppy):

http://radified.com/Files/

WinME - BLECH  Wink

Quote:
When booting, try F8 when the system starts to load the floppy information and select 'step by step confirmation'.  'USBASPI.SYS' should recognize the USB HDD, and 'DI1000DD.SYS' should assign the drive letter.  What happens (i.e. any messages?) after you say yes to the 'devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS'?

An update - I was wrong - a Ghost USB v2 boot diskette, with PC-DOS, does NOT hang. Guest never assigns a drive letter; however, it does not hang (as it does with the USB v1.1 drivers, on this USB v2 system). However, Ghost still sees the USB drive as a target to write to (as C:). I know; I'm making an image on that machine, even as I write this.  8) So it looks like a drive letter is NOT needed, for the USB v2 drivers. But does seem to be needed by the USB v1.1 drivers. With the USB v1.1 drivers on this USB v2 machine, there was no target named C: to write an image to.

About DI1000DD.SYS - it sees ID#0 as the USb drive; then complains that "ID#1: PRI DOS(FAT32) Can't allocate FAT32 partition", and then exits.  ID #1, (which is my NTFS internal drive, I imagine) is not FAt32, but NTFS. I am not loading a DOS NTFS device driver, since I don't need to read the NTFS drive while in DOS. I then load Ghost,  and go to make an image of my disk. For a target, I choose drive C: .. which shows as blank.  I see none of the images that are already on the USB drive.

Quote:
How big is the USB HDD?  I do not know about this, but I've been wondering--many of the USB HDD's are now well past 120 GB's and I'm not sure if there is a size limit after which DOS chokes.  The USB HDD that I'm working with is 40 GB's.  You might try putting a 40 GB partition on the USB HDD and see if DOS can handle that and assigns a drive letter.

No, as I say, when I use the USB v1.1 boot disk with an Optiplex GX150, the USb drive gets assigned a drive letter just fine. I can access it in DOS via that drive letter no problem, and it sees the whole 120G. So the size is not a limitation.

Looks like - for the moment - I'm working with the USB v2 boot disk, even tho I have no drive letter, Ghost seems to be able to access it just fine as a C: drive.

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 5:16pm

turgon -

On both your Optiplex GX270 and Optiplex GX 150, go to the
My Computer icon>System Properties window>Hardware tab>Device Manager radio button>Universal Serial Bus controllers category to look for ANY AND ALL entries therein containing the word 'Enhanced'.

I will bet that if such lines are indeed there on both, one PC will have the line with the word 'NEC' contained therein - and the other will not.

El Pescador

IP Logged

turgon
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 10:18am

El_Pescador wrote on Sep 23rd, 2004 at 5:16pm:
turgon -

On both your Optiplex GX270 and Optiplex GX 150, go to the
My Computer icon>System Properties window>Hardware tab>Device Manager radio button>Universal Serial Bus controllers category to look for ANY AND ALL entries therein containing the word 'Enhanced'.

I will bet that if such lines are indeed there on both, one PC will have the line with the word 'NEC' contained therein - and the other will not.

El Pescador

The GX 150 has an Intel USB controller (82801BA/BAM); the GX 270 has a "Standard Enhanced" USB v2.0 controller. No "NEC" on either.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 11:19am

Quote:
... The GX 150 has an Intel USB controller (82801BA/BAM); the GX 270 has a "Standard Enhanced" USB v2.0 controller. No "NEC" on either...

turgon

How are the USB 2.0 ports routed on each of these machines, i.e,, off the systemboard or off a PCI card adapter?

Also, can you print the exact wording of the respective lines in the Device Manager for each?

El Pescador

IP Logged

turgon
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 12:36pm

El_Pescador wrote on Sep 24th, 2004 at 11:19am:
How are the USB 2.0 ports routed on each of these machines, i.e,, off the systemboard or off a PCI card adapter?

Motherboard only.

Quote:
Also, can you print the exact wording of the respective lines in the Device Manager for each?

El Pescador

I will, soon as I get a chance. Since I was able to do what I needed to do, I have moved onto other projects. Hopefully, later this afternoon.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 1:45pm

turgon

Quote:
Guest never assigns a drive letter; however, it does not hang (as it does with the USB v1.1 drivers, on this USB v2 system).

Ya--something 'strange' about this behavior--El_Pescador's system did not assign a drive letter either during guest.exe 's bootup, but he's able to still use Ghost to image to the USB HDD.  See here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10941...

Quote:
About DI1000DD.SYS - it sees ID#0 as the USb drive; then complains that "ID#1: PRI DOS(FAT32) Can't allocate FAT32 partition", and then exits.  ID #1, (which is my NTFS internal drive, I imagine) is not FAt32, but NTFS.

I don't think ID #0 is the USB HDD.  There must be another USB device that is being 'seen' by the driver.  I think the driver only shows USB devices--not other internal HDD's.

I think ID #1 is your USB HDD and the driver is 'seeing' it--you said it was formated as FAT32--but for some reason it fails to assign a drive letter, i.e. 'Can't allocate FAT32 partition'.  I'm thinking that it means the driver is unable to assign a drive letter.  (I wonder why?)

Quote:
I then load Ghost,  and go to make an image of my disk. For a target, I choose drive C: .. which shows as blank.  I see none of the images that are already on the USB drive.

When I use Ghost with the USB HDD, I see the other Ghost images listed on the USB HDD when I get to the screen when I'm telling Ghost where to store the new image and name the new image file--if I'm in a directory where other images are already there.

IP Logged

Peter2150
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Washington DC

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2004 at 1:19pm

I didn't notice if this was asked and answered, but how big is the Fat32 partition.    I bought a Western Digital 250Gig external drive that came with one 250g fat32 partition.    I put 4 partitions on it, one NTFS 120g to match my internal drive. Also put 2 Fat32 partitions for images so they would work in Ghost.   System wouldn't allow them to be bigger than 32gig each.  Then made a final NTFS partition out of the rest.    DOS might be having trouble with a bigger FAT32 partition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print