Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NSW 2005 Premier / Ghost 9.0 / Ghost2003 (Read 51762 times)
texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

NSW 2005 Premier / Ghost 9.0 / Ghost2003
Oct 17th, 2004 at 7:27pm

I just updated to NSW 2005 Premier.  I first did a full install of NSW 2004 Professional.  NSW 2005 Premier automatically installs Ghost 9.0.  However, you can find Ghost 2003 on the NSW 2005 Premier CD in a folder named GHOST.  Double click on GHOST.MSI to install Ghost 2003.

I don't know how well I'm going to like Ghost 9.0.

IP Logged

Karl

Re: NSW 2005 Premier / Ghost 9.0 / Ghost2003
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 8:54pm

Ghost 9 = Drive Image 7. Ghost 2003 is better. But let us know how you like Ghost 9.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 9:45pm

Quote:
... When installing a Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional OEM CD on a friend's Dell Dimension B733r running WIN 98SE, I was unable to install Ghost 2003 normally as part of the overall suite, nor by using the
Ghost.msi
from inside the Ghost folder on the CD. When trying the latter, I got an error message that started off "The Ghost Console Client can not be opened manually...".

"Ghost Console Client can not be opened manually"
posted « on: Oct 14th, 2004, 10:04pm »

Several weeks ago, I installed a Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional OEM CD on a different friend's Dell Dimension 8250 running XP Home Edition, and everything was just super - except that the Norton AntiVirus expired on 7/5/2004 !!! Several "cleansings" (even including some WipeInfo passes) could not reverse this outcome - and I have performed this exact operation on several PCs, both under my roof and for friends as well.  The particular OEM CD I was using came from a batch obtained from an Oklahoma supplier in June of 2003 - none of the remainder having proven anything other than flawless.  To make a very long story short, an online inquiry to Symantec revealed that effective September 8, 2004 that product was
no longer supported
.  So, I advised my pal to upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2005 available at Best Buy for $19.99 after rebates, and then to overlay it atop NSW 2003 Pro - he did and it worked out perfectly.

I called up my current supplier in Texas and made him aware of my earlier predicament.  He responded that he was selling the Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional OEM CD by the hundreds every week and had not received a single complaint.  Furthermore, he encouraged me to procure a trial copy from him to see if the problem reappeared (I had previously purchased four copies from him last August, but had installed them while on the road - all on PCs running XP Home or XP Pro).  This trial copy is the one referred to in the previous post, where nothing I did resulted in an installation of Ghost 2003 - when I tried to do a single interactive install, it
uninstalled
all the other components in the suite, and still failed to install properly.  After reinstalling the balance of the suite, I repeatedly tried to install directly from the CD with
Ghost.msi
- with the results shown in the previous post above.

I am curious if I have run into a "batch" or "block" situation, where there may be different versions of Ghost included in the suite despite the faces of the CD having identical outward appearances.  One reference I have seen pertaining to Ghost Console Client seems to exclude by inference a PC running WIN 98 SE
unless it is part of a network

Any ideas ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 11:57pm

El_Pescador

Quote:
everything was just super - except that the Norton AntiVirus expired on 7/5/2004 !!!

Had Norton Antivirus been installed on the system prior to this attempted install?  If yes, when was the expiration date for that previous copy?

I had a problem several months back where I was reaching the end of the virus definition subscription, bought a new OEM Norton SystemWorks 2003 CD (same version I had installed previously, but a new paid for copy), uninstalled the old copy and tried to install the new copy, but the expiration date remained the same as for the old copy!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 11:20am

El_Pescador

Maybe this might help the Ghost installation problem:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/...

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 3:18pm

Quote:
... I had a problem several months back where I was reaching the end of the virus definition subscription, bought a new OEM Norton SystemWorks 2003 CD (same version I had installed previously, but a new paid for copy), uninstalled the old copy and tried to install the new copy, but the expiration date remained the same as for the old copy!

NightOwl
On many occasions, both with the three active PCs here at home and with those of friends/relatives, upon reaching the end of the virus definition subscription I would bring in a new OEM Norton SystemWorks 2003 CD (same version as installed previously, but a new paid for copy).  Merely uninstalling the old copy and trying to install the new copy would result in the expiration date remaining the same as for the old copy.  My workaround was to use the WipeInfo utility launched from the CD to obliterate files and folders suspected of harboring the old expiration date.

By working offline with a cut-and-try approach, I always succeeded - until the last two instances described above. Both of them had previous NSW 2003 Pro OEM installations, but the PC running WIN 98 SE had an extended online NAV subscription set to expire in December when the owner reported the O.S. had gone hinky.  In clearing up his problem, I suggested that we it avoid "tap-dancing" with Symantec over two months of NAV coverage and just merely install a new OEM copy of NSW 2003 Pro (the late release referred to above).  The NAV coverage went to 10/13/2005, but as described abovel, I never could install Ghost 2003.

Quote:
... Had Norton Antivirus been installed on the system prior to this attempted install?  If yes, when was the expiration date for that previous copy?

NightOwl
As to the PC running XP Home Edition, I cannot recall the exact expiration date for the NAV component of NSW 2003 Pro, but it was different (later for sure - August, 2004 perhaps?) than the newer revealed date of 7/5/2004 descibed above.

El Pescador

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 3:53pm

Quote:
Ghost 9 = Drive Image 7. Ghost 2003 is better. But let us know how you like Ghost 9.

Right now I can only install either Ghost 9 or Ghost 2003, not both.  Something complains about the installation of the second program with the other one is already installed.  I tried doing one first and then the other but to no prevail.

Typically Symantec products always seem to have some installation problems / conflicts.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 5:03pm

Quote:
... Something complains about the installation of the second program with the other one is already installed...

clevelandtxus
Norton Ghost 2003 and Roxio GoBack Personal Edition - both on NSW 2003 Pro OEM CD - have a conflict. You must disable (not necessarily uninstall) GoBack in order to install or operate Ghost.

I wonder if either Ghost 9 or Ghost 2003 can be momentarily disabled in like manner to achieve concomitiant installation.

El Pescador

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 5:32pm

How would I go about disabling one to install the other?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 11:55pm

With Roxio GoBack Personal Edition, there is an Options Window that allows you to either clear out all the saved backup files or to disable the program (which also results in the saved files being discarded in addition to taking the program out of play).  My best guess is to search for an analogous feature on either, or both, version(s) of Ghost despite the fact I consider it somewhat of a long shot you will hit paydirt.

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 12:51am

El_Pescador

Quote:
Merely uninstalling the old copy and trying to install the new copy would result in the expiration date remaining the same as for the old copy.  My workaround was to use the WipeInfo utility launched from the CD to obliterate files and folders suspected of harboring the old expiration date.

and

Quote:
make a very long story short, an online inquiry to Symantec revealed that effective September 8, 2004 that product was no longer supported.

I didn't want to say much more until I did my install of a new copy of  Norton SystemWorks 2003  that I bought on Sept. 15, 2004, and installed today on my other computer, as my subscription to Norton Antivirus expired yesterday--to make sure what I say below is valid as of today.

As I mentioned above in reply #3, I had a problem when I bought a replacement Norton SystemWorks 2003 to update my soon to expire Norton Antivirus subscription several months ago for my other computer.  At the time, I contacted Symantec support.  It took persistence and about 2-3 weeks to finally get a functional answer from them, but below is what they responded with and it allowed me to update my virus definitions subscription back then in April, and it worked this afternoon also!

So, here's what I did...(I'm using Win98se, but I think it can be applied as appropriate to WinXP)...

I stopped all of Norton SystemWorks programs running in the background, like Norton Antivirus, CleanSweep, etc., emptied the Norton Protected Files and disabled Norton Protection.  I then follow this outline from Symantec Support:

Quote:
Please follow the steps below.

First, uninstall all Symantec products:

1. Click Start, Settings, and then Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Select a Symantec product, Norton AntiVirus for example, and then click Add\Remove.
4. Follow the prompts until the uninstall process indicates that it has successfully removed the product.
5. Repeat these steps with each Symantec product on the Add/Remove Programs list until all of them have been removed.

(Edit by NightOwl--I re-booted each time it was suggested.)

Next, configure Windows to show all files:

1. Double-click the My Computer icon on your Desktop.
2. Click the View menu in the top toolbar and then click Options or Folder options.
3. Click the View tab.
4. Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
5. In the Advanced settings box, under the "Hidden files" folder, click "Show All Files".
6. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Now, search for and delete all Symantec folders.

1. Click Start, Find, and then select "Files or Folders".
2. Check to be sure that "Look in" is set to (C: ) and that "Include Subfolders" is checked.
3. In the "Named" or "Search for..." box, type--or copy and paste--the following text:

Symantec

4. Click Find Now.
5. Delete all files and folders that are found by the search.

Please confirm the deletion of the following folder:

C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Symantec

(Edit by NightOwl--I also deleted the C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks directory that was still present after the uninstall.)

Finish by cleaning up the Registry:

CAUTION: We strongly recommend that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the keys that are specified. Please see the document linked below for details on making a backup of your registry:

Title: 'Backing up the Windows registry'
Document ID: 199762382617
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/199762382617

NOTE: These keys may not exist on all computers. If either or both exist, please delete them as instructed.

1. Click Start and then Run.
2. Type REGEDIT into the Run dialog box when it comes up and then click OK. The Registry Editor will open.
3. Navigate to and select the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec

4. Press the Delete key on your keyboard and click Yes to confirm.
5. Navigate to and select the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec

6. Press the Delete key on your keyboard and click Yes to confirm.
7. Click Registry in the top toolbar and then click Exit.

At this point, your system should be completely clean of Symantec products. Once you have reinstalled your Symantec software, please be aware that you need to register the product with the same details you had provided while registering for the first time.

After uninstalling, re-booted, did an install, rebooted as indicated, registered the new copy and the process assigned a new Acct. ID, and the Antivirus Definitions expiration date was 10/20/2005!

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 9:30am

I have made it a rule to install anything Symantec as late as possible during the setup of a system. Only smaller applications that come in new versions on a regular basis are installed after that.

During the setup, I create several images and the most important one is prior to installing the Symantec stuff. It makes it easy to undo anything Symantec and the fact that I will have to reinstall a number of small applications is a comparatively small price to pay.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 11:12am

El_Pescador

Quote:
I am curious if I have run into a "batch" or "block" situation, where there may be different versions of Ghost included in the suite despite the faces of the CD having identical outward appearances.  One reference I have seen pertaining to Ghost Console Client seems to exclude by inference a PC running WIN 98 SE unless it is part of a network.

Any ideas ?

I'm betting it's a software setting in the OS, or a hardware conflict.

'Ghost Console Client' appears to have something to do with networking and NIC card settings--I would look at things related to that.  Possibly install using 'safe mode' so network card is not mounted?

IP Logged

DaddyO
Radmeister

Oh, brother.

Reply #13 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 5:08pm

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2004 at 12:17pm

"Some users don't like Ghost9"?  What's not to like?  It's a huge improvement over Ghost 2003 in terms of ease of use (and a moderate improvement over Drive Image 7).

Regardless of one's personal opinion, the simple fact is that Ghost 2003 is a discontinued and unsupported application.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print