Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BOOT-CD (Read 7920 times)
DanLicks
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BOOT-CD
Dec 3rd, 2004 at 5:06pm

Nother "stupid" question fort the NightOwl........
We all know what a pita floopies can be. Isn't it possible to make a standard boot CD rather than a boot floopy. If so, how? What about all the people who don't even have floopy drives? I hate floopies! Angry

Thanks
Dan

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: BOOT-CD
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 7:57pm

DanLicks

Quote:
Isn't it possible to make a standard boot CD rather than a boot floopy. If so, how? What about all the people who don't even have floopy drives? I hate floopies!

Hmmmm.....a question just for me?

The short answer--the shareware program WinImage allows you to create a bootable image file that it can add to a CD to make it bootable.  The image file can be added to a CD using Nero or Roxio as well, and probably other CD writer programs as well without there ever being a floppy disk involved.  See here:

http://www.winimage.com/

And for the long answer:

You can not use the Norton Ghost Boot Disk Wizard to create a bootable CD.  You can create a bootable CD for Ghost if you're burning an image to the CD writer directly using the Windows interface (but be aware--this method gives you a bootable CD with Ghost, but you will not have Mouse support).  One of the steps asks if you want to make the CD bootable--yes/no.

You can create a bootable CD for Ghost if you're burning an image to the CD writer when using the DOS interface by putting an existing boot floppy in when asked for it.  But you can only use a single boot floppy solution for this--not one of the two disk boot floppys.

There have not been too many questions recently about how to create a bootable CD for Ghost when you do not have a floppy drive since Ghost2003 came out with the above ability to create a bootable CD from the Windows interface.

Creating a bootable CD without a floppy drive is a bit of a problem because most programs like Nero and Roxio want an existing boot floppy to read, or an image file of a bootable floppy, or a boot image of some other format (iso, img, bin, etc.) that the program can copy.

Some programs say you can create boot images (IsoBuster, DeepBurner, MagicISO), but again they seem to require an existing boot floppy to read or boot image to copy.  There is some talk in their help files that you can modify an existing image file so as to customize it, but I have not been able to successfully do that myself.

But, with WinImage, I was able to select the appropriate bootable image file creation option, add the needed files that a normal DOS boot disk would need (system files, autoexec.bat, config.sys, mscdexe, mouse, mouse.ini, Ghost.exe, etc. as needed for what you're planning on booting with), and the program did the rest--creating a boot image file that it added to a CD's boot sector directly, along with the other files I added to burn to the regular part of the CD.

When you make a boot floppy, you have to make sure you transfer the system files to the floppy using the DOS 'sys' copy command.  In Windows, when you use the format command, you check the option to 'add system files' or 'make system disk'.  But WinImage seemed to take care of that step automtically--the system files just had to be there.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

DanLicks
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 5:02am

Hey NightOwl,
Why didn't you write the Ghost manual? Wink
THANKS!
I figured out how to make a bootable CD from a floopy with NERO all by my self, and I ain't NO geek! If there isn't a box to click or a button to push, I'm lost.....But, as you said, it is limited to one floopy's worth of stuff. So I downloaded WinImage and I want to try to make a bootable CD with all the network, mouse, USB etc drivers that might be needed. Only thing is, I have to make bootable floopies to find out WHAT to put on it. Is there a complete list somewhere of what should go onto the various boot-floopy versions, and can they be combined like I want?
Again thanks!
Dan

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 10:45am

DanLicks

Quote:
I want to try to make a bootable CD with all the network, mouse, USB etc drivers that might be needed....and can they be combined like I want? 

Ultimately, the only limitation is the size of the boot sector.  But in WinImage there is an option to emulate a 2.88 MB floppy in addition to 1.44 MB.  I've not tried that myself, however, so I cant vouch for it.

Quote:
Is there a complete list somewhere of what should go onto the various boot-floopy versions

I've not seen a list anywhere...creating the floppys to see their structure is what I did.  And, if you use the Windows interface for Ghost, you can look at the Ghost log file and see the boot information used for the process.  And you will also find examples of 'custom' boot disks scattered throughout the various posts and references on this forum.

Here's a couple:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11015...

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Ted.
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 5:16am

Hi, DanLicks.... and hello again NightOwl.

I, and many others have searched the 'Net for a simple method of creating a suitable Ghost Boot CD. There is a method described on another forum I subscribe to where you edit the first Ghost Recovery floppy and create a bootable CD with Nero using the edited floppy, then add Ghost.exe which is on the second floppy.

However, I am more than happy with my method. I just boot from DISK ONE of a previous CD backup and I can access Ghost.exe very smartly.

As NightOwl mentioned, there is no mouse support, but I soon got used to using just the TAB, ENTER and ARROW keys to navigate. In fact, I prefer it now because it gives me more time to think before I hit the ENTER key!

Try it.
----------

IP Logged

DanLicks
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 7:24am

GOD BLESS GHOST!

TWO days ago I finally figured out how to run Ghost over the LAN. YESTERDAY I wanted to load the Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 software and drivers that have worked FINE on our one (and ONLY!) machine running XP BEFORE I installed the Service Pack 2, and guess what....The whole @*+8734%/&§9xx#04876% system went belly up! Nothing worked! No system recovery, nothing! In 30 minutes I had it up and running again as if nothing had happened, except for the changes I had made within the last couple of days.
YEAH! 8)

NightOwl,
Still no luck with WinImage. I made the disk, even made one on a floopy, but they don't work. Yesterday I used the boot CD I made with NERO by just copying the floopy, and it worked fine. As I said, I'm not a geek, but I'll keep trying. Fun, in a morbid sort of way, trying to figure out how to make these crates work. Grin

IP Logged

DanLicks
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 5:43pm

Well, I'm getting nowhere, and not very fast. Embarrassed
I have yet been able to make a bootable floppy or CD that is able to see images saved with NERO, bootable or otherwise. The 1 CD recipe...
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
LASTDRIVE = Z

[Autoexec.bat]

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
MOUSE.COM
mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:x /m:16 /v
echo Loading...
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE

Files on the floppy:

autoexec.bat
command.com
config.sys
ibmbio.com
ibmdos.com
mouse.com
mouse.ini
mscdex.exe
oakcdrom.exe
Ghost (directory with Ghost.exe in it)
gets GHOST up and running, but it can't see the CD/DVD.
(The DVD is approved and direct imaging works fine).
So either I get the "this CD was not made with GHOST"  bit, or the program just doesn't see the drive. The Symantic tip about assigning drive letters had no effect. Could it be that the version of GHOST I am running is in German, (I live in Austria), and some of the DOS commands are in German? Hard to believe, but......who knows? I have had no luck with WinImage. A CD burnt with a WinImage of the boot floppy doesn't even get to first base. "No system." It would be so nice to be able to burn GHOST image directly to DVD. We only have one DVD burner, but four computers, and I want to be able to save the various images on DVDs. As a last resort, I can save them, and if they are needed, copy them to some drive and access them through the LAN. It just bugs me that I can't manage to make it work the way I want it to, and I would rather not have to rely on the LAN, especially if I am not here and I have to walk someone else through a rebuild.
At least I have made my wife an brand new set of coasters for Christmas.  Wink

PS: MSI KT3 ULTRA/ATHLON XP 1600+, WIN 98SE, GHOST 2003, NEC RW ND-2510A

IP Logged

DanLicks
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 12:04pm

OK, here is the latest. I was able to make a bootable CD in NERO, with the first  part of a split image. GHOST.EXE opened, and I found the CD/DVD drive, but not the normal yellow icon of the actual image. When I clicked on "OPEN" I got "This is not the first disk in the set" (roughly translated from the German), but I know it is the first and not a spanned image file. The trick in NERO was to remove all relax restrictions. (WIN 98!) I used a normal boot floppy. I feel I am getting closer, but I'm not there yet. At least I have a load of working GHOST boot CDs!
Dan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print