Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DOS Ghost 2003 Bootdisk without intalling Ghost (Read 9010 times)
richrf

DOS Ghost 2003 Bootdisk without intalling Ghost
Dec 10th, 2004 at 1:33pm

Hi all,

I purchased a copy of Ghost 2003 and would like to run it from a DOS diskette. Is it possible to create a bootable disketter with Ghost.exe without actually installing the product. I have had lots of problems with Norton Windows installs in the past and would like to avoid trying it if I can. Thanks for the help.

Rich

IP Logged

Arnie

Re: DOS Ghost 2003 Bootdisk without intalling Ghos
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 1:46pm

Quote:
Is it possible to create a bootable disketter with Ghost.exe without actually installing the product

Not the official Ghost boot floppy. You can however add ghost.exe to a standard DOS boot floppy and execute it from there.

Ghost is not like other Norton products you might have used. It does not take over your computer. I wouldn't worry abouut instlling it.

IP Logged

richrf
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 1:59pm

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for the help. I tried doing this, but when I formatted a DOS diskette under Windows XP, it uses 555kb of space and Ghost requires a little over 1MB. Is there a way around this? Thanks again for your help.

Rich

IP Logged

DaddyO
Radmeister

Oh, brother.

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 2:04pm

IP Logged

richrf
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 2:34pm

Hi all,

Tried the other boot disk files. All of them required 555kb.

I tried running Ghost.exe from a second diskette after booting under DOS but it didn't recognize my external USB 2.0 hard disk. My guess is that Ghost is doing something more when it is creating a bootable diskette. Does anyone know if this is at all possible? Thanks.

Rich

IP Logged

Poncho

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 2:50pm

I have a separate OS that I use specifically for testing new software, before I install it to my main OS. If you install another copy of Windows, you could use it to create a Ghost boot floppy without installing it to your main OS. It takes about 30 minutes to install Windows.

IP Logged

richrf
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 3:06pm

Hi Poncho,

Thanks for the suggestion, and it is a good idea. Right now I have only one copy of Windows. I was able to sucessfully make an  image copy of my disk using a product called Image for DOS from Terabyte Unlimited. It was very simple to use since all I had to do was copy the product to a DOS diskette with an additional driver. I want to make a copy under Ghost if possible. Sort of a "backup" image copy in case I ever have to re-install.

I have had so many problems with Norton in the past, I am very hesitant so I am trying to create a simple bootable disk without having to install the whole program including the "extras" that Norton wishes to install. My first install aborted. I think I can get it to run, but if possible I would like to avoid the anxiety - especially since I already have an image copy. But if it is not possible, I will go to Pan B - maybe.

Thanks for help

Rich

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 3:17pm

richrf

DOS support for external USB drives is not a 'built-in' function of Ghost.exe.  You have to load additional drivers.  Norton's driver is called guest.exe created by Iomega.

I looked on the Norton SystemWorks installation CD and I do not find the 'guest.exe' as a stand alone program, so it must be buried in a '.cab' file somewhere.

You may have to create a custom boot disk if you do not wish to install Ghost and use its 'Boot Disk Wizard'.  Here's a non-Norton Ghost USB DOS driver:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954...

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

richrf
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 3:22pm

Hi NightOwl,

Yes, what you says makes sense. I probably will have to install Norton Ghost and see what happens. I am not looking forward to this.  Undecided But hopefully, I will be able to figure it out. Thanks.

Rich

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 3:31pm

richrf

Here is a website that talks about how to install just Ghost, and not all the other stuff that come with Norton Systemworks:

http://www.tweakhound.com/reviews/nswp2003/howtoinstall.htm

I think you would accomplish the same thing with the Norton Systemworks install program by selecting just the Ghost Component and unchecking all the other items from the 'Complete' install option.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

richrf
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 4:21pm

Hi again,

I went ahead and installed Ghost, created a boot disk, successfully created an image copy and ... uninstalled Ghost as fast as I could.  Smiley

It performed similarly to Image For DOS  thought IFD was much easier to use. But I did want two image copies in case on fails. Now the only thing that can go wrong is if both my hard disk needs to be restored and my external HD fails. That would be bad luck indeed.

Ghost left over 130 registry entries that Regseeker found and I was able to delete. This is one filthy little program ... as are all of the Symantec software, unfortunately. But it looks like I god what I needed and I am back to a clean system. Thanks for all of the help.

Rich

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 4:26pm

richrf

If you did it in the order you state--your image will have Ghost on it with all those registry entries you didn't want  Wink .

IP Logged

richrf
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 4:33pm

Hi Owl,

Yep, I realized it after I began the image copy, but I didn't want to remove Norton before I took the image copy because I wasn't sure whether I would be able to clean up the registry into a stable/clean state after removing Norton - so I said, what the heck, there is still some Norton in my life and I will have to live with it, albeit on an image copy safely tucked away.

Thanks!  Smiley

Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print