Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost/XP/DVD-R (Read 3060 times)
slangtruth
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost/XP/DVD-R
Jan 1st, 2005 at 2:15pm

Hi, I've had Ghost 2003 on my machine for a long time and finally got motivated to try it out after reading your excellent guide, and getting a new DVD/R drive for xmas.  I made Ghost Boot disks, but they don't recognize the DVD drive at all (numerous MSCDEX generated errors).  XP (SP1) recognized the DVD drive as soon as I plugged it in. Apparently the drivers on the boot disk are not adequate. Any ideas?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost/XP/DVD-R
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 4:08am

slangtruth

Ghost will not use 'MSCDEX' to write an image to the optical drive--only to read an image that was not created and saved directly by Ghost to a CD or DVD (i.e. images burned to the CD or DVD from a image first saved to the HDD).

I suspect the 'numerous MSCDEX generated errors' occurred because you were using the Ghost boot disks with CD/DVD drive support.  That boot disk set tries to load several different flavor optical drivers for the most common types of optical drives--most of which you probably do not have--and thus the 'errors'.

You should use the 'standard boot disk', boot using the disk, and after Ghost loads, start to set up a 'local-disk-to image' backup, select the source disk, and then see if your optical drive is listed in the 'destination' list.  Should be something like '@CDx(your optical drive discription)', where 'x' will be a number 1, 2, 3... depending on how many optical drives you have.

Post back with your results.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

slangtruth
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 6:53pm

Thanks, you're right, that did work.  Unfortunately, Ghost writes so slowly to the diak that I'm finding it unusable - I tried a small partition (about 11 Megs) data and it reported that it was going to take about 8 hours to complete and was writing at about 40 MB/second. I'll pick up a spare hard disk someday and try it that way. I do thank you for your help, though.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 1:18am

Quote:
"... I'll pick up a spare hard disk someday..."

slangtruth

Quote:
"... My preference is to buy a name-brand internal HDD (in the 60-120GB range) on sale with a huge mail-in rebate, then mount it in an external enclosure kit..."

El Pescador

"HEADS UP !!!"

Starting last Sunday, Best Buy stores are featuring the Seagate 80GB Barracuda 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/100 HDD at $89.99 less a $30.00 Mail-In Rebate and a $20.00 Mail-In Rebate for a net total of $49.99 (plus sales tax on $89.99).

I have the exact 80GB model in a Macally PHR-100A USB 2.0 External Enclosure Kit and I am very satisfied with the combination.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print