Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9.0 Success Story (Read 2865 times)
texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 9.0 Success Story
Jan 2nd, 2005 at 10:02am

I purchased NSW 2005 Premier about two months ago.  After a couple weeks of wavering I intalled Ghost 9.0.  This process removed Ghost 2003 from my Win XP system.  (As a precaution, I have a dual boot system where is have Ghost 2003 installed in my Win 98 SE system.)  (I'm creating backups to my external USB 2.0 drive  using both versions.)

We'll, for some reason, Win XP refused to boot the evening of the 31st on my PC.  Since Win 98 was still working I didn't begin to panic too much as I still had a fully functional OS. 

So, I put Ghost 9.0 to the test.  This morning, I booted my PC with the Recovery Disk that comes with NSW 2005 Premier and restored the partition that contains my Win XP system.  The whole process took about 20 minutes for a 10GB partition.  Well, it all worked as I'm typing this message from Win XP.

As for me I've had no problems with Ghost 9.0 as it successfully worked for me this morning.

But since one can never be too careful I still have Ghost 2003 installed in Win 98.  I have a floppy boot disk and a CD boot disk for Ghost 2003.  I also have my Win 98 partition backed up to CDs which I store away from my PC area.

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 9.0 Success Story
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 11:07pm

I have a quick question for you.  How did you put Ghost images on the CDs useing Ghost 2003.  I have tried this before which always took 5-6 CDRWs.  I must tried it 5 or 6 times and never got a full set of CDs to pass the integrity test.  I even tried splitting the files during the imaging process.

When I got my DVD burner, then ghosting was no issue as the image will fit on ONE DVD.

Grin

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 9.0 Success Story
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 8:42am

The following applies to Ghost 2003...

I created a floppy boot disk and then booted with it.  In DOS, Ghost asked for my source drive and my destination drive when I  did my backup.  I told it to write to my CD writer.  I was then asked if I wanted to make the CD bootable.  I replied Yes and Ghost proceeded to copy the floppy to the first CD to make it bootable.  It then went on to create 3 CDs total.  My Win98 partition is small as it only contains the O/S and a half dozen or so applications.  After creating the 3 CD's I booted off the first one and did the integrity test with no problems.

I have successfully restored my Win98 partition from the CD's.  When I was first testing out creating successful CD backups I first created a copy of my Win98 partition onto my USB hard drive just in case my CD restore test didn't work.

The Symantec documentation and Radified's excellent Ghost tutorial covers all these steps for Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print