Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Orig Ghost 9.0 CD no boot & '.msp' not found (Read 5495 times)
hcsknight
N00b

Orig Ghost 9.0 CD no boot & '.msp' not found
Mar 27th, 2005 at 12:39pm

Good luck w/ this one gang.

Specs:
Asus P4B
1.25GB RAM
13 HDDs - 3 on MB controller, others across 3 ATA/133 Controllers [one Promise Ultra100 TX2, one Silicon Image Sil 0680 ATA/133 and one Silicon Image Sil 060 Ultra-133 Medley ATA Raid Controller [RAID disabled on board via jumper]]
CD is Sony DVD RW DRU-530A w/flash up to date

Background chronology:
1.  installed XP SP2 and all updates
2.  installed Ghost 9.0 & updated via LiveUpdate
3.  created images of OS drive [OS drive is only and OS, no image files, no page swap, no data, simply OS]
4.  installed ATI Radion 9600XT All in Wonder [all drivers and software added]
5.  created image again
6.  addes some misc apps, stuff I have used for years, e.g. WinZip 8.1 type stuff
7.  decided to install Norton System Works 2005 Premier [NSW2005]....
8.  NSW2005 said I needed to un-install Ghost 9.0 to install the copy from the CD [I know Ghost 9.0 is the Ghost on NSW2005]
9.  Ran un-install from Windows Control Panel... however the "update patch" did not have the un-install option so I un-installed the original
10.  Went to install NSW2005 and received the error that the

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network
     resource that is unavailible.

Click OK to try again, or enter and alernate path to a
     folder containing the installation package  
     'NortonGhost902Allen.msp' in the box below.

11. the 'NortonGhost902Allen.msp' is nowhere to be found on my system, nowhere

12. tried running Ghost 9.0 CD to un-install, same response during setup....

FYI - installed Ghost 9.0 on another machine, and when running the updated saw the 'NortonGhost902Allen.msp' file in the Windows\Installer\ sub-dir.... but it was ERASED during the install [note: hidden files features are all off]

13.  Tried running the Ghost 9.0 CD & NSW2005 CD & the Symantic Recovery Disk CD from the boot.... none of them gave me the option to boot from the CD

14.  Tried booting from a Ghost 2003 CD and Win XP install CD.... both gave me the option to boot from the CD....

Goal: to recover image from Ghost 9.0 file, dont want to rebuild system from scratch.

Any ideas?  

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Orig Ghost 9.0 CD no boot & '.msp' not fou
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 1:48pm

hcsknight

Quote:
13.  Tried running the Ghost 9.0 CD & NSW2005 CD & the Symantic Recovery Disk CD from the boot.... none of them gave me the option to boot from the CD

14.  Tried booting from a Ghost 2003 CD and Win XP install CD.... both gave me the option to boot from the CD....

Now, that's a problem--what's the difference between the bootable Ghost 2003 CD and the Symantic Recovery Disk CD?

I do not have Ghost 9.xx, but it's my understanding you have to use the bootable Recovery CD in order to restore a broken Windows OS and can not boot to Windows.

Booting the CD should be completely unrelated to any installation/uninstall issues that occurred inside Windows!

Will your Recovery CD or Ghost 9.xx CD boot on the other computer?

Quote:
Goal: to recover image from Ghost 9.0 file, dont want to rebuild system from scratch.

and

FYI - installed Ghost 9.0 on another machine, and when running the updated saw the 'NortonGhost902Allen.msp' file in the Windows\Installer\ sub-dir.... but it was ERASED during the install [note: hidden files features are all off]

Can you transfer the Ghost 9.xx backup file to the other computer that you installed Ghost 9.xx to, and then put the HDD from the system you want to restore on a spare HDD connector on that system--restore OS to the HDD and put it back on the original system?  (Might need to do all that from booting Recovery CD so the OS on the other computer is not 'seeing and marking' the HDD with assigned drive letters, etc.)  (Messy--but possible work-around.)

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

hcsknight
N00b

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 3:56pm

Thanks for taking a stab at this one NightOwl.   Sorry I should have noted on original post I know I can move the OS drive & image files to another computer.  Was hoping to avoid that mess.  Unfortunately I am one who wants to know the "why"... layover disorder from my undergrad Physics studies I guess... Does not serve one well if one hopes to avoid being pulled into the vortex of constant tinkering with computers.

RE: "Now, that's a problem--what's the difference between the bootable Ghost 2003 CD and the Symantic Recovery Disk CD?"

Ans: no difference I know of
-------------------------------------
RE: "I do not have Ghost 9.xx, but it's my understanding you have to use the bootable Recovery CD in order to restore a broken Windows OS and can not boot to Windows. "

Ans: correct, the Ghost 2003, 9.o and the Symantec Recovery Disk [it is a CD] are supposed to be bootable...  and I ran the Ghost 9.0 CD & Symantec Recovery Disk [CD] for a boot check on two other machines... they worked Smiley  Not the "problem child" though... also if you remember in my original post the "problem child" did like the Ghost 2003 & WinXP CDs and went to the "press any key to boot from CD" w/ those CD's in... but not the Ghost 9.0 or Symantic Recovery Disk.

To make it even more fun, the other night I pushed the BIOS on the "problem child" so it ONLY had the Sony DVD RW is on the boot list and I made it the #1 priority/first boot device... all other options were set to "disable"... LOL.
------------------------------------------------------

RE: "Booting the CD should be completely unrelated to any installation/uninstall issues that occurred inside Windows!"

Ans: ...exactly what I once thought...
-----------------------------------------------

One thing I am definitely going to write/call Symantec about is the fact that the install program, regardless of whether I try to install/un-install Ghost via the Ghost 9.0 CD or the NSW2005 Premier CD, comes back with the "cant find the 'NortonGhost902Allen.msp' file... this is especially troubling since I actually saw the file created and deleted duriing the install of Ghost 9.0 on one of my other machines [also a P4, Asus board, with WinXP SP2]

Still open to any and all ideas from anyone.....

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 5:43pm

hcsknight

Here's another long shot--any chance it's the optical drive that for some reason isn't reading those two bootable CD's, but reads the others okay? (The laser is misaligned by some fraction of a milli-micron?)

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

hcsknight
N00b

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 10:10am

RE: "Here's another long shot--any chance it's the optical drive that for some reason isn't reading those two bootable CD's, but reads the others okay? (The laser is misaligned by some fraction of a milli-micron?)"

Really, really think that is a long shot.  But I do understand what you are saying, the old floppy issue that would sometimes arise when we used a floppy formated in an old machine and it wouldnt work in a new one.  Regardless, I did run a test app from Sony on the DVD about a week ago, read-write type, and it passed....

Still think this is a OS issue.  The DVD light does flash once if a CD is in the tray.  I think that Symantec has something in the update patch which caused the problem....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print