Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Docs & Settings folder. (Read 4704 times)
Ted.
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Docs & Settings folder.
Apr 8th, 2005 at 5:44pm

Hi, All.

I have five folders in my "My Documents" folder. They are namely: All Users, Default User, Guest, Ted and User. Are these all necessary?

Is it possible to combine the "Ted" and "User" folders into one folder and leave the name as "Ted"?

IP Logged

Bubba

Re: Docs & Settings folder.
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 7:00pm

I wouldn't mess with them.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 11:07pm

Ted.

Are you sure those folders are in 'My Documents'?

My comparable folders are in 'C:\Documents and Settings', which is completely different from 'My Documents'.

As Bubba said--probably good to leave alone.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Ted.
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 1:41am

Bubba and Nightowl

My mistake.... Should be Documents and Settings folder.

Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 7:41pm

Ted. wrote on Apr 8th, 2005 at 5:44pm:
They are namely: All Users, Default User, Guest, Ted and User. Are these all necessary?

Is it possible to combine the "Ted" and "User" folders into one folder and leave the name as "Ted"?

Apparantly, you have or at one time had at least two users.  Do you get two names on your login screen?  If so, those would be the Ted and User accounts.  Note the name on the login screen doesn't necessarily have to correspond with the name of the folder.  If the computer was originally setup with username "User", it would create the User folder.  The name could later be changed under Control Panel/Users but it will still be called "User" in Docs & Settings.  FTR, Windows refers to these as "name" and "full name".  "Full name" can be changed and shows on the Start Menu and Users snap-in, but "name" can't be changed and is what you'll see in the Doc&Settings folder.  (BTW, if you're using 2000 Pro or XP Pro, you can easily see which full name is associated with which account name by running "control userpasswords2".  Doesn't work in XP Home, though.)

Leave All Users alone.  That's how things like Desktop and Start Menu items are shared between users.  When Ted logs in, the profile is drawn from Ted + All Users.  When User logs in, the profile is drawn from User + All Users. 

Leave Default User alone.  That's a template the system uses when creating a new user account.

If you have two usernames in Control Panel's Users snap-in, delete one and the folder in Docs & Settings should go away.

If you have only one username in Control Panel/Users, one of the folders in Docs & Settings may be an orphan.  Before deleting it, I'd check two things first:

I don't see an Administrator folder on your system yet, so first login as Administrator (gotta do that in Safe Mode), which should establish a Docs&Settings/Administrator folder.  (The profile folder is not setup until an account is logged into for the first time.)  This lets you check that User isn't somehow tangled up with your Administrator account.

Second, carefully examine the contents of both the Ted and User folders to make sure which is the one you're really using.  Remember, it's possible for the full name "Ted" to belong to the account name "User", so we're just being careful here.  If you're satisfied that "Ted" is both the full name and account name, and User is an orphan, you can delete the User folder.

IP Logged

Ted.
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 10:44pm

Dan.

Thanks for all that information. I should be able to work it out now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print