Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Image Integrity failure (Read 7301 times)
voclizr
Ex Member

Ghost Image Integrity failure
Apr 12th, 2005 at 1:45pm

I hope yas can help me.
I 've recently became a fan of Norton Ghost.  I've had it for a few years (v2003 with Systemworks pro) but was not able to use it until earlier this year after I replaced my Acer CD/RW with a Sony.  I tried a few back ups with the CD/RW and they were very successfull.  In the past few days I replaced my dial up modem with a new dial up modem and also installed a new injet printer and I wanted to create a new image to include the new drivers and configs for these new components.  I made the set and ran an Integrity check.  First disk OK. On the second disk it failed with a "Decompression Failure" message.  So I made another set with no compression.  Upon running the integ check the  first and second disks checked out but when I inserted the third disk I got a black DOS screen saying that the Image failed but no explanation why.  I should mention that on the first set I used default compression (I didn't yet know how to change compression settings).  I would like to try again but I'm running out of blank CD's and want to make sure this won't happen again.  After the first failure I ran Virus scan (clean), I defragged and after the last failure I ran full Scandisk and it reported no disk problems.  My OS is Windows Me.  I know this is not the most stable OS, but I must have made at least 3 images prior to this one with no problem.  I'm really hoping somebody can help me with this as I've really become attached to this program and would like to be able to use and trust it..  I'm wondering if the new printer and modem drivers may be causing this.  Thanks.  I might add, I enjoy your site.
                  John B

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost Image Integrity failure
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 2:46pm

voclizr

Are you using RW optical disks? 

Are you erasing them on the fly as you are Ghosting? 

Any chance the 'bad' disk is the same one, just in a different order as you create the image?

First thing to try is different optical media--and good quality.

Doesn't seem likely that a new modem or printer would cause problems, but could remove them long enough to see if it changes the behavior of the backup procedure.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John Bowen

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 3:02pm

NightOwl;
Thank you for reply.  I hope you're watching to follow up.
I've been using CD-R's.  I know there can be bad ones in every lot, but this would be too much of a coincidence since this happened 3 times in a row, and mostly at the same point in the disk set.  The blanks are Sony's, which have a pretty good reputation.
              JB

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 3:29pm

voclizr

Well, you ruled out my best first guesses--you might want to try removing the modem and printer to see what happens, being as that seems to be the major difference that you are aware of since the last successful Ghosting.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

voclizr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 11:24pm

Hey!
Thought I'd let yous know I solved the problem!  I found a troubleshooting page on Symantec's website which said that if you run a disk utility and it encounters no errors try making another image because disk utilities sometimes fix small errors without reporting them.  I also broke open my new pack of TDK blanks.  The Sonys have weird looking notch marks on the outside edges of the disks.  I don't know if this had anything to do with the problem I had, but the TDKs have smoother looking edges.  So, all in all, I'm glad I can use the ghost again.  I would've been heartbroken if I wouldn't  have been able to use that program anymore.  Like Rad said,  it grows on you.  Thanks to all, especially NightOwl.  I'm glad I found this site.  It's one of the best computer forums on the web.  Keep up the good work!
                 John B. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2005 at 10:40pm

Thx for the follow-up, John.

Rad

IP Logged

Tsunamii
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 3:34pm

Quote:
Hey!
Thought I'd let yous know I solved the problem!  I found a troubleshooting page on Symantec's website which said that if you run a disk utility and it encounters no errors try making another image because disk utilities sometimes fix small errors without reporting them.  I also broke open my new pack of TDK blanks.  The Sonys have weird looking notch marks on the outside edges of the disks.  I don't know if this had anything to do with the problem I had, but the TDKs have smoother looking edges.  So, all in all, I'm glad I can use the ghost again.  I would've been heartbroken if I wouldn't  have been able to use that program anymore.  Like Rad said,  it grows on you.  Thanks to all, especially NightOwl.  I'm glad I found this site.  It's one of the best computer forums on the web.  Keep up the good work!
                 John B. Roll Eyes

Not to be a buzz kill but I have been having the same issue on over 50 machines. Dell D600 and Dell D610 burning direct to a DVD there does not seem to be a rhyme or reason and the chkdsk isnt helping us here. We used this app for sales people in the field to help with backup but it is turning into its own nightmare. We have corp gold support from Symantec and after going over the this is a personal product not corp hurdle they are at a loss whey it is consistantly failing on brand new out of the box machines. They have offred a refund even. I have been trying to make heads or tails of it for over a month. On my home machine it works fine but I ghost to a sep partition not a dvd. I would make sure that when you use ghost explorere you can get data, I have seen the images passing integ check but failing to get the data or reimaging.

IP Logged

scorpious
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Auckland   New Zealand

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 6:53am

Tsunamii wrote on Jul 12th, 2005 at 3:34pm:
Not to be a buzz kill but I have been having the same issue on over 50 machines. Dell D600 and Dell D610 burning direct to a DVD there does not seem to be a rhyme or reason and the chkdsk isnt helping us here. We used this app for sales people in the field to help with backup but it is turning into its own nightmare. We have corp gold support from Symantec and after going over the this is a personal product not corp hurdle they are at a loss whey it is consistantly failing on brand new out of the box machines. They have offred a refund even. I have been trying to make heads or tails of it for over a month. On my home machine it works fine but I ghost to a sep partition not a dvd. I would make sure that when you use ghost explorere you can get data, I have seen the images passing integ check but failing to get the data or reimaging.

Sounds familiar to me,i own a hp presario,not that the make matters me thinks,anyway not only did the ghost image fail on one of the cd-disks that was loading (some sort of error cannot continue),the same happened months before when i first bought  the comp and needed to do a restore so instead of using the f10 i had a go with the recovery discs,hp only allow 1 set of cd or dvd  backup recovery discs(puts machine back to factory settings etc) again they failed due to error,basicly the verification process is a waste of time and is no gaurantee anything will work for ghost and anything else as far as i'm concerned,hence i bought two xtra HDD's ,one for backup the other to make sure i can ghost and boot,needless to say that system works flawlessly ,tho now i'm gunna  have a go and see if i can get it to work thru usb,i can feel my head getting sore just think'n about it ...lol...

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 2:18pm

scorpious wrote on Jul 15th, 2005 at 6:53am:
"... hence i bought two xtra HDD's ,one for backup the other to make sure i can ghost and boot,needless to say that system works flawlessly, tho now i'm gunna  have a go and see if i can get it to work thru
usb
..."

The secret to using USB 2.0 external HDDs - whether "purpose-built" or internal HDDs mounted in external enclosure kits - is to make sure all the controller software up and down the line is NEC-compliant in advance.  If "the die has already been cast", then NightOwl and I are here to help square things away.

El Pescador Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print