Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GoBack and Ghost (Read 6009 times)
ray2
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

GoBack and Ghost
Apr 16th, 2005 at 3:19am

Having learnt about GoBack from reading some of these threads, I noticed that GoBack needs to be disabled before partitioning. But do I need to disable GoBack when creating a Ghost image of my HD?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: GoBack and Ghost
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2005 at 3:44pm

Quote:
"... Having learnt about GoBack from reading some of these threads, I noticed that GoBack needs to be disabled before partitioning. But do I need to disable GoBack when creating a Ghost image of my HD?"

ray2

To the very best of my knowledge, I would definitely think so while operating from the Windows mode. As to performing a Ghost 2003 operation from the Ghost Disaster Recovery floppies (or bootable CD),
maybe not
- I am just not sure.  From my perspective, I would not want GoBack baggage included aboard a Ghost "disk-to-image" file even if it were possible to do so. Tongue

El Pescador

IP Logged

ray2
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2005 at 12:30am

Thanks for the reply. I will disable GoBack the next time I backup with a Ghost image.

IP Logged

ray2
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2005 at 7:22am

Back again. Just found that Norton Ghost 2003 software checks and informs that GoBack has to be disabled before a backup can be made.

IP Logged

Peter2150
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Washington DC

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2005 at 9:19am

Hi Ray2

You might want to look at Raxco's First Defense.   I do disable it in that you remove it from the MBR before imaging. But you don't necessarily have to remove it's snapshot.  Hence you don't lose the "history" like you do with Ghost 2003.   Of course the price you pay is a bigger image, but at least you have a choice.

Pete

IP Logged

ray2
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 7:18am

Hi Pete,

I actually read about Raxco from one of your reports in one of the threads.
I like the idea of not losing a snapshot, especially when updating the OS.

GoBack has to be disabled before an update can take place. The HELP notes stated that GoBAck should be uninstalled but I had no problem just by disabling it.  There have been two instances where an update caused problems with my OS and I would have liked to have been able to revert back without going through the process of repairing the OS.

The trouble with Raxco is that it is relatively expensive compared to a bundled copy of GoBack with Ghost 2003, which I was able to purchase off eBay at a very reasonable bid. There are no listing of Raxco First Defence on eBay at the present moment so I'll stick with GoBAck for the time being.

IP Logged

ray2
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 7:32am

Learnt something new about GoBack that is not included in the HELP files.
After defragmenting the disk, on the next boot up, GoBack screen displays "please wait". This, I presume, is for GoBack to take note of the new arrangement of the files on the disk.

IP Logged

Python

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 12:29pm

When using Acronis True Image you have to disable GoBack. From the Manaccom FAQ

"Is Acronis True Image 8.0 compatible with Norton GoBack?

Acronis True Image 8.0 is compatible with Norton GoBack, but for specific Acronis functions, you will need to disable Norton GoBack:

* If you start Acronis True Image 8.0 from the bootable rescue media.

* If you want to restore an image archive.

* If you want to create, resize or delete the Acronis Secure Zone.

* Please note that after restoring an image archive, the history of Norton GoBack stored on the target hard drive is automatically lost."

http://www.manac.com.au/forum/index.php?forum=45&topic=1&page=last

IP Logged

ray2
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2005 at 2:23am

Just a further update on GoBack. Contrary to what I had said earlier, I have had no problems installing critical updates from MS while GoBack was active. This is great as now I can revert to the previous version without uninstalling the update, should a problem surface after the update.

IP Logged

ray2
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2005 at 7:57am

I spoke too soon! I should have checked before posting. In the process of downloading new patches for the OS, GoBack's history is wiped out negating what I had said in my previous post. Sorry for posting wrong information.

IP Logged

Peter2150
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Washington DC

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2005 at 9:44am

ray2 wrote on May 18th, 2005 at 7:57am:
I spoke too soon! I should have checked before posting. In the process of downloading new patches for the OS, GoBack's history is wiped out negating what I had said in my previous post. Sorry for posting wrong information.

Hi Ray2

Thats why Raxco's First Defense isn't expensive compared to the "free" Goback.   With Goback you can wipe out history if you work with large amounts of data at one time.  Guarantee this will only happen when it's critical.   This isn't an issue with First Defense.  The snapshot stays as is until you change it.    

Pete

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print