Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Updates to Ghost 9.0 Restore CD? (Read 2366 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Updates to Ghost 9.0 Restore CD?
May 2nd, 2005 at 1:38pm

I was wondering about how Symantec is handling updates to the Ghost 9.0 Restore CD.

With v2003, you have the Live Update feature, which updates your Ghost executable. And when you create a new disk, Ghost grabs this updated executable.

But with Ghost 9.0, you can't update the Restore CD, which is a closed disc.

Does Ghost 9.0 allow you to create a bootable Ghost floppy diskette, like v2003 does?

Do they have an entirely new CD that you download & burn? How much data is contained on that Restore CD, anyway?

Do they simply claim "no updates are necessary"?

What if a bug is found on the Restore CD? How would Symantec handle that?

Sounds important, cuz being able to restore your image is what it's all about.

'Preciate any insight.

R.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Re: Updates to Ghost 9.0 Restore CD?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2005 at 3:28pm

All good questions, Radministrator.

I am not aware of any mechanism to update the Recovery Environment Disk CD, nor to create a bootable diskette for that purpose.  The latter would appear to be technically unfeasible, given that the restore function is operating in Windows PE and a diskette can only hold 1.44MB of content.

I have no ‘inside knowledge’ of Symantec’s thinking on this subject, but I suspect that:

• Symantec believes that the restore phase of the imaging process (contained on the Recovery Environment Disk CD) is very stable.  LiveUpdate does update the creation phase of the imaging process (i.e., the Ghost 9.0 executable), however – and, intuitively, it would seem that is where the complexity exists.

• Symantec would issue some form of a customer alert and action plan if it was discovered that a fatal defect existed in the Recovery Environment Disk CD.

Personally, I would prefer a Recovery Environment that is updated via LiveUpdate, but such is not the situation.  At least the Recovery Environment is updated annually with each new release of Ghost (and the core program is updated as needed via LiveUpdate).

In contrast, is it not the case that all updates for Ghost 2003 ceased long ago?  While theoretically Ghost 2003 could be updated, as a matter of practicality, is it not the case that no patches are being developed and deployed?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print