Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9.0 or Ghost 2003, sorta confused (Read 8325 times)
viper69
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Out of My Mind

Ghost 9.0 or Ghost 2003, sorta confused
May 15th, 2005 at 1:15am

I have read a lot of info. on the website and forums here w/regard to both of these programs that I own. A huge amt of help, but now I am "confused" as to which software is really better.

I read the radified guides and the issues w/2003 that people complain about, as well as the problems that people have had with Norton Ghost 9.0

I own both pieces of software. I have a Maxtor SATA 160Gig drive with NTFS file format. I recently acquired a Seagate 160Gig IDE drive for use as an external drive for backing up my images and other things too...

I want to be able to restore my system using the images stored on my external drive, which would be connected via USB2.0 cable, Second, people keep mentioning bootable disks w/reference to each of these softwares. Does one let you make a bootable disk and the other doesn't??

With that said...is Ghost 9.0 really that bad??

Second, what's people's impression of Acronis's True Image 8.0, 

Thank you for your time.

AMD 2800+ @ 2.08 GHz&&Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe rev 1.04&&Corsair XMS PC2700 1Gig Cas 2&&ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128Meg&&Maxtor 160Gig SATA&&Antec True 430W&&SB LIVE 5.1&&Windows XP Professional SP1

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 9.0 or Ghost 2003, sorta confused
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2005 at 3:18am

There is a similar thread here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11153...

that you might wanna look at.

I document my own personal feelings here:

http://ghost.radified.com/norton_ghost_90.htm

Regarding ATI, see here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

I have friends who use it. Some love it, others hate it. It is another Windows-based imaging prgm, and I am suspicious of Windows-based imagers, for reason already documented.

Ghost had already released v6.0 before Acronis released v1.0 (on april 4th, 2002):

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr/2002/pr04-04.html

.. so that gives Ghost a several-year head-start over TI.

Another thread you may wanna read:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11129...

If that doesn't do it for you, try both programs and see which you prefer.

IP Logged

viper69
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Out of My Mind

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2005 at 3:41am

Thanks I read all of those....and it left me more concerned in general than before..so much I haven't installed either haha...And I need to do it.

I will probably try 9.0 because of the incremental backup feature, however if I have a lot of problems..I'll go right to 2003

AMD 2800+ @ 2.08 GHz&&Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe rev 1.04&&Corsair XMS PC2700 1Gig Cas 2&&ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128Meg&&Maxtor 160Gig SATA&&Antec True 430W&&SB LIVE 5.1&&Windows XP Professional SP1

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2005 at 11:43am

*any* hard drive imaging prgm is better than none. techies like to argue the merits of each option, but the main point is that you should use *some* type of imaging software .. to protect yourself against (catastrophic) system or hard drive failure.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2005 at 2:12pm

Quote:
"... I recently acquired a Seagate 160Gig IDE drive for use as an external drive for backing up my images and other things too..."

viper69

Purpose-built Seagate external drive or external enclosure kit containing an internal Seagate IDE drive ? Also, are your USB 2.0 ports routed directly off the systemboard or routed through a PCI-to-USB host adapter card ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

viper69
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Out of My Mind

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2005 at 3:12pm

EL Pescador,

It's I am building it myself..the drive was on sale $50 for 160Gigs can't beat that price, and I purchased an enclosure kit. The AMS Venus DS3d, model number DS-2316B2BK (USB2.0), doesn't have firewire website to company> www.AMSelectronics.com

You can also find it on NewEgg as well.

And I have 4 onboard USB2.0 ports, and two on the front. The two on the front are generated from a small USB2.0 card/Firwire  combo "board"  that wire into the Mobo. It just slots into my case on the front..not a  card that drops into a PCI slot for example.

Does that answer your question I hope??

All that info I digested was really enlightening..I had bought these drives long before I found this forum, And no one at the OC forum I visit mentioned anything either. So I went forward to build my own to save money.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2005 at 4:42pm

Quote:
"... And I have 4 onboard USB2.0 ports, and two on the front. The two on the front are generated from a small USB2.0 card/Firwire  combo 'board'  that wire into the Mobo. It just slots into my case on the front..not a  card that drops into a PCI slot for example..."

viper69

I have a 'warm fuzzy feeling' - but no hard facts - about your DMS external enclosure kit.  CLICK HERE to see why it will prove manageable even if the device controller/bridge chipset is incompatible with Norton Ghost 2003.

However, the onboard USB 2.0 host controller may prove to be an aggravation - we will see.  CLICK HERE for information on the topic.  If you are interested, I can post a detailed procedure on readily determining the specs on your USB 2.0 host controller.

CLICK HERE to view a relevant post dealing with USB 2.0 difficulties while employing Norton Ghost 2003.

El Pescador

IP Logged

viper69
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Out of My Mind

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2005 at 5:18pm

Thanks I will look into these in a bit...I appreciate your help.

What do you guys recommend for a good partition manager?

Ranish is very powerful, but a bit daunting, not because it's DOS based, but because I often don't have any idea how to use it fluently.

Any other suggestions?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2005 at 10:56am

FDISK is free.

http://fdisk.radified.com/

Partition Magic if you prefer to work with a pretty GUI.

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

IP Logged

viper69
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Out of My Mind

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2005 at 11:23pm

Hey thanks....

I didnt even know that FDISK is free...as you can tell I have never partitioned before..I used Ranish for other purposes actually.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2005 at 12:36am

Quote:
"... I read the radified guides and the issues w/2003 that people complain about, as well as the problems that people have had with Norton Ghost 9.0 ... I own both pieces of software..."

viper69

For "schitz und giggles", why don't you install Norton Ghost 2003, make one set of Norton Ghost Boot Wizard Disaster Recovery Disks in PC-DOS plus another in MS-DOS, and then uninstall Ghost 2003.  That way, you can exercise your external HDD enclosure kit at leisure if it turns out NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine is called for after all.  All the makins' are close at hand, so to speak.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print