Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 9.0 cannot restore (Read 6330 times)
Frodo

Norton Ghost 9.0 cannot restore
May 16th, 2005 at 2:23pm

Hi,

I have a dual boot system [both Win XP] and Norton Ghost 9.0 installed on both the drives. I created an image of my D: Drive [which is a 20GB partition and had 4GB of data] which was completely successful. I had this made in 'high compression' and split into three parts so that I could transfer it to three CD's.

The problem came when I decided to restore this image [from the hard disk itself] to C:/ drive [which is a 15 GB partition]. I used the option 'Restore Drive' for this drive and all goes well till the last step when the restoration actually begins but in a few seconds it stops with the following message -

"Restore of D_Drive.v2i did not complete successfully. Cannot read data from image file.
Error E0BB0004 Function Copy Volume argument. Destination Volume is invalid. [0*E0BB0004]"

I checked with Ghost Explorer and it says that this is a perfectly valid image.

I just do not understand where am I going wrong ? Is it possible that I am using the wrong options or is it that the partition size of the drive to be restored is smaller than that of the drive of which the image was made ?

Thanks in anticipation !!

IP Logged

Coolio
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Norton Ghost 9.0 cannot restore
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2005 at 2:34pm

I have Ghost 2003, so I'm just guessing. But it seems to be from that error message that you're trying to restore D drive rather than the C. And Ghost obviously can't restore the same drive that the partition is on. Hopefully somebody who knows better can concur, but that's my guess.
-cooliomon

IP Logged

Frodo

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2005 at 3:10pm

No cooliomon, I am booting into the Win XP System on the D:/ drive and from there trying to restore image to C:/ drive. Under usual circumstances this should have been a piece of cake but its not working and I wonder why.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

IP Logged

Rj

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2005 at 3:25pm

Try copying the files back to their original locatio and see what happens.

IP Logged

Frodo

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2005 at 10:30pm

Yes Rj I did that already and it worked fine but I need to restore the whole drive.
???

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2005 at 11:11pm

Quote:
I used the option 'Restore Drive' for this drive and all goes well till the last step when the restoration actually begins but in a few seconds it stops with the following message -

Are you trying to restore the image while you are still in Windows? For an OS drive you need to boot to the CD and restore from the Recovery Environment.

Back in the DI 7 days I recall PQ saying you shouldn't have it installed more than once on your computer but I can't find the reference.

IP Logged

Frodo

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2005 at 12:10am

Thanks, I now see from your reply and other threads in the forum that to restore a partition with OS, one has to boot to Recovery CD anyway [though as I understand now, a partition without an operating system can be restored without using the Recovery CD]. I was of the impression that Norton Ghost 9.0 would do all the work in the Windows mode itself and I will never have to reboot my system again and again. So the only improvement [which of course cannot be underrated] is the fact that Ghost 9.0 allows us to make OS images without booting to DOS... although restoring the images needs restart of the computer. I hope my conclusion is correct.

About installing it twice. Actually I had first installed it on C: and made an image of D: but then, since I was trying to restore the image onto C: from within the Windows environment, I decided to install it on D: drive as well. I see now that it was not needed anyway. But I wonder if the subsequent versions of Ghost allowed one to restore OS partitions from within Windows but still not allow restoration of the active OS partition that is being used... then one may in fact have to install Ghost to more than one partition [that is if one does not want to use the recovery environment] and that's exactly the assumption that I had made.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2005 at 12:18am

Quote:
But I wonder if the subsequent versions of Ghost allowed one to restore OS partitions from within Windows but still not allow restoration of the active OS partition that is being used... then one may in fact have to install Ghost to more than one partition [that is if one does not want to use the recovery environment] and that's exactly the assumption that I had made.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2005 at 12:23am

I hit the wrong button.

If your second OS partition is hidden it can be restored from within Windows.

Your reasoning about installing Ghost twice is logical but I wish I could remember where I read the article saying it shouldn't be done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print