Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Cloning partitions with Ghost 9 (Read 249693 times)
MikeT
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Cloning partitions with Ghost 9
Reply #105 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 12:04pm

Sorry if this has been covered before (it kind of has but the answer didn't work for me). My system has an original 80GB hard drive partitioned into C: and D:. I just installed a new 160GB HD alongside the original. I was hoping to clone the entire contents (both partitions) onto the new drive, then make the new drive the boot drive, using Ghost 9.0.

I read the threads about having to copy partitions one at a time. The Help documentation says: "If the hard drive you are copying contains more than one partition (for example, a C:\ drive, a D:\drive, an E:\ drive, and so forth), you must copy each partition, one at a time, to the new hard drive." but it's not working for me.

I can copy C: (using "Copy Drive") no problem. However, when I copy D:, the destination drive letter selections are greyed out - I just wind up with a copy of D:

I guess I could achieve what I want with images, but the discussions here imply that Copy Drive should work and there's something I'm not quite getting.

Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #106 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 4:24pm

MikeT,

I don't think that you have a problem.

When the OS copy is complete the new partition isn't visible in Windows Explorer because it doesn't have a drive letter. It is visible in Disk Management however. Then copy D: drive as you have done.

On first boot (with the old HD removed) your data partition will be D: drive. When you reinstall your old HD as a slave, the old data partition will be assigned a lower drive letter.

IP Logged

MikeT
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #107 - Aug 12th, 2006 at 8:00am

Beautiful! Thanks for the quick reply - this really wasn't obvious from the documentation!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #108 - Aug 12th, 2006 at 9:56pm

Was the old OS partition hidden when you installed the old HD as a slave? That is, no drive letter.

IP Logged

MikeT
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #109 - Aug 13th, 2006 at 10:02am

The point that I was really missing was the one about copying to UNALLOCATED SPACE. When I first installed the new HD I ran the manufacturer's (Seagate's) installer, which put a partition on the disk. I guess that's why the drive letter choice was grayed-out when I tried to do the Ghost  Copy Drive - there wasn't any unallocated space.

Since the whole process worked out very nicely in the end, I feel I should summarize it here - might be useful to someone else:

My original configuration was a Maxtor 80GB partitioned (when I bought the system) as C: (primary) 16GB + D: (logical) 61GB.

That Maxtor drive was ~ 4 years old & making me increasingly nervous. The plan was to buy a new drive, move everything to the new drive, then use the old drive as backup (on the assumption that the old drive would fail first & in this new configuration I could simply replace it it without any rebuilding agony).

The new drive was a Seagate 160GB partitioned (by the Seagate installer) as H: (primary).

I used the Windows Disk Manager (Start -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management) to delete the H: partition - now I had  “Disk 0” with partitions C: and D:, and “Disk 1” with 149GB of Unallocated Space.

This is the situation I should have been in when I first tried working with Ghost. From here on everything went by the book:

(1) Did Ghost Copy Drive  - C: to Disk 1 Unallocated Space.
     (no drive letter, copy MBR)

(2) Did Ghost Copy Drive  - D: to Disk 1 Unallocated Space.
     (no drive letter, no MBR, Resize Drive to Fill Unallocated
      Space)

(3) Shut down computer, set the jumpers on the new Seagate drve to Master, disconnected the old Maxtor data & power connectors, re-booted.

(4) System came up wanting to do a CHKDSK on C: - ok.

(5) Everything looked good  -  at this point C: looked the same as before (16GB with ~ 1GB free), while D: was 133GB with 130GB free. Contents of both looked good.

(6) Shut down computer, set jumpers on old Maxtor to Slave, reconnected data & power cables, re-booted.

(7) System came up nicely - the configuration looked like this:

C:  16GB  with 1 GB free          (on the new Seagate)
    D:  133GB with 130GB free       (on the new Seagate)
    H:  16GB  with 1 GB free          (on the old Maxtor)
    I:   60GB  with 57GB free         (on the old Maxtor)

I'll probably run it like this for a while (until I stop shaking!) then delete H: and I:, possibly combine them into 1 large partition, and use it for Ghost image backups.

Thanks for the timely help - I could have struggled with this for quite a while.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #110 - Aug 13th, 2006 at 3:52pm

MikeT,

Thanks for that excellent summary. That's how it should be done.

You can also do Copy Drive into partitions with the exception of the OS. The OS must be copied into Unallocated Space otherwise you will have trouble getting the new OS to boot. Data partitions can be copied (cloned) to partitions if you like.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

IP Logged

slickspeed
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #111 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 4:49pm

Correct me if i am wrong but the days of using ghost to "clone" like pre-ghost 9 are gone. Ghost is only good now to make a back up of the HD to a spare HD, in case of a crash. what happened to "cloning"? As in one would boot up with a dos disk run ghost.exe and create a .gho file. the only reason we when to 9 is trying to use bartsPE to "clone" a system with a usb nic driver being can't seem to get a usb nic to work in dos.

IP Logged

Chamb
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #112 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 6:10pm

Hello !

I am new here, and I need some help.
I have a HDD with two partitions
C and D (Both of them are FAT 32)

This is a multiboot system, so first I installed Win98 onto drive C, and after that I installed XP onto drive D
I can choose between the OS's at booting, as usual.

Now, I would like to copy the drive (both of the partitions) to a new and bigger HDD

I read this forum, so I found this:
Of course, I will boot in XP, Ghost is installed under XP.

(1) Ghost Copy Drive  - C: to Disk 1 Unallocated Space.
     (no drive letter, copy MBR)

(2) Ghost Copy Drive  - D: to Disk 1 Unallocated Space.
     (no drive letter, no MBR, Resize Drive to Fill Unallocated 
  Space)

(3) Shut down computer, set the jumpers on the new HDD to Master, disconnect the old HDD reboot.

I hope it will work, and please tell me - I must copy MBR of C drive with WIN98, and I don't need set anything on D drive with the XP?

XP give its boot records to C too, doesn't it ?
XP copies only the its files and folders on partition D, doesn't it ?

And I hope, Ghost can copy the partition with WIN98
without any problems.

Please answer me, because the HDD has strange voices...
I would like to do the copy as soon as possible

Thank you very much.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #113 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 6:24pm

Chamb,

Your approach should work. Just follow the instructions in my initial post and “set drive active (for booting OS)” only for the C: drive copy. You only need to tick “Copy MBR” once. It doesn't matter which clone you choose as the MBR is not contained in either partition.

Let us know the outcome.

PS See "What's Wrong with the Microsoft Way?"

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/principles.htm

IP Logged

Chamb
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #114 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 12:59am

Thank You !
I will try it !

Two more questions :

1., I made a backup image from the C and D partitions
What's the order if I would like to copy my driver from these images

2., "Resize Drive to Fill Unallocated"
Can i begin with copying D, and after this copying C to the same drive of course, and setting  OS active,
and now resize drive to fill - I would like to have more space on the C partition on the new drive, instead of D

Is it possible ? Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #115 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 4:07am

Restore the C: drive first. You need to have the partitions in the same order as the original HD. The link I posted indicates that if you resize the partitions then the dual boot may fail. So keep the same C: drive size but you "may" be able to resize the D: drive.

IP Logged

Chamb
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #116 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 4:59am

If I would like to use my backup images instead of copy drive function, is the method the same ?

Hm, I checked your link
I found this:

"Subsequent resizing of your partitions may break the dualboot. Tools like PartitionMagic can non-destructively resize partitions and adjust the PBR correspondingly, but remember, the 98 "boot sector" was captured and tucked away in the bootsect.dos file. It doesn't get fixed as its partition is resized, so when you later try to boot 98, the resurrected boot sector no longer matches the partition. "

It doesn't sound so good....
I hope XP will work at least...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #117 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 1:52pm

Chamb,

It doesn't matter if you use Copy Drive from Windows or Image Restore from the Ghost CD Recovery Environment. Just personal preference. But in your case I'd use a blank HD (Unallocated Space) either way. To help avoid the Dual Boot problem.

My preference for your computer, I'd use Copy Drive. Copy C: drive and then copy D: drive and tick resize the  D: drive to fill unallocated space in Ghost. If the dual boot is broken I'd reinstall the new HD as a slave, delete both partitions from Disk Management, reboot and do the Copy Drive again but not resize the D: drive this time. The latter process should definitely work.

Keep us informed.

IP Logged

Chamb
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #118 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 2:53pm

Hello Brian

It was a kind of adventure to me, but now,it seems to work.
So, I installed my new HDD (80 GB Seagate) the old Maxtor is a 20 GB one, with the two partitions.

I did as we told, copy partition C, OS activate, copy MBR, no resize. It was an easy one.
Now, next was partition D, with the resize function.
And the problems began.
At about 90 %, Ghost wrote an error - device unreachable, or something similar.
Well, I tried it (why not ? ) Old HDD is out from the computer, new one installed, set to master - boot.
Win98 on C works perfectly.
Let's try booting XP - XP cannot find hal.dll.
I said OK, I put this new HDD to an USB Rack, and I watched it in my other computer, under XP.
In manage, I have seen both of the new partition, but the second was damaged, of course. I deleted this second partition, and made a new one - a new logical one.
I took the old HDD, and put it my USB Rack, and I simply copied all of the datas of partition D to one of my partition on my computer. It was an hour, now, new HDD went to the USB Rack, and I copied all of the D to its second logical partition.
So, I went to my wife's computer, put the new HDD and what happened ? It worked ? No, it didn't Smiley
It hanged at the welcome screen....
I read about this situation, so I contacted a floppy drive to this computer, and I found a WIN98 bootdisc
Booting computer with the floppy, and fdisk /mbr.
Restart - and it works.
I have a working, multibooting and resized HDD.
It is simply, isn't it ?
Smiley)

Thanks for your help.
We did it
Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #119 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 4:42pm

Chamb wrote on Dec 12th, 2006 at 2:53pm:
I have a working, multibooting and resized HDD.

That's what we wanted to hear. Great work.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print