Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Cloning partitions with Ghost 9 (Read 249730 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Cloning partitions with Ghost 9
Reply #30 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 12:18am

darnayer,

OK, should be easy. Make sure your 250 GB HD is blank, unallocated space. Make sure it's recognized in the BIOS and then boot into Windows.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

Copy Drive your partitions in order. After the C: drive you don't need to tick "copy MBR" a second time. Don't reboot between copies. On the last copy, your F: drive, tick “resize drive to fill unallocated space”. (Or you could not tick this option and have 50 GB of unallocated space, to be used later.)

Then shut down your computer and remove the 200 GB HD, etc.

Make sense?

IP Logged

darnayer
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:35am

Thanks Brian, now both hdds are working along nicely. Used the 200GB as a USB external drive to store backups imgs of the 250GB, teehee~

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #32 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 3:14am

Good work Darnayer and thanks for the feedback.

Copying one HD to another requires more steps than any other imaging software process. Naturally it's the one most likely to cause trouble if not done correctly. Symantec don't help with pages 93 and 94 of the Ghost 9 Userguide. I wouldn't regard their instructions as saying "you
must
" remove the old HD before booting for the first time. Quoted below.

"Restart the computer after copying drives
After you have copied the old hard drive to the new hard
drive, do the following:
1 You can remove the old hard drive or keep it as a
slave drive.
2 Change jumper settings to make the new hard drive
the master drive before restarting the computer."

IP Logged

Andrew Campbell

Reply #33 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 4:50pm

I've just bought Ghost 9 following yet another reformat and XP reinstallation due to crashes and hassles.

On my HD I have created two partitions and reinstalled XP and SP2 updates etc on partition one. I have copied this to the new 2nd partition, and kept a backup.

I like to install various demos and stuff to evaluate, and sooner or later crashes start through some unknown conflict and I have to start again.

I had hoped I could keep partition 1 clean for ordinary stuff, and boot into the second partition for experimenting, then if/when problems started on partition 2, I could easily reinstall the backup and start again more easily.

My question is, how can I make the second partition bootable i.e. so I can choose which partition to boot into?

Sorry if I am missing something obvious

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #34 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 5:34pm

Andrew,

Just a few questions so I understand your situation.

Is the second partition "hidden"?
Did you use the Ghost 9 "Copy Drives"?
Do you have Partition Magic?
Do you have BartPE to enable editing the boot.ini?
Any other partitions on the HD?
What do you mean by "kept a backup"?

IP Logged

Andrew Campbell

Reply #35 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 5:54pm

Hi Brian

The 2nd partition is not hidden if I understand this correctly. Both show in 'My Computer'

Yes I used Ghost 9 "Copy One Drive to Another" to copy my new XP installation on partition 1 (having also updated it to SP2, plus AV updates & firewall etc) to save future downloads & installations, I thought, to the 2nd partition.

No I haven't got Partition Magic, I had hoped I could sort my problem without the further expense of buying this also

I haven't got BartPE, have just done a cursory  Google search on this & it looks interesting

Just a 19.5Gb partition 1 and 92.2Gb on partition 2. I set these up on reinstalling XP. Something I haven't tried before

By backup, I mean I used the "Back Up Drives" option in Ghost 9  "Basic View",  to hopefully backup the new XP installation just done in partition 1 to save going through it all again in the future

Hope I am not expecting too much of Ghost and thanks for any advice

Cheers, Andrew

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 8:20pm

Andrew,

I haven’t copied an OS partition to the same HD so I’m not speaking from personal experience. This is what I’d try but I understand you don’t have the software so someone may be able to resolve your problem in a different fashion.

Install Partition Magic, make the floppies and use them for partitioning. Shrink your second partition to 10 GB and make a logical drive of the remaining unallocated space. This drive will be visible from both OS. Hide the second OS partition with PM.

Copy the file Pqboot32.exe from your PM installation and put it in your logical drive. You will be able to select the OS to boot by running this file.

Using PM, make the OS on the second partition “active”. Reboot. It won’t boot. Boot to BartPE and with the A43 prog, edit boot.ini so it points to partition 2. It will probably say partition 1 as it's a copy of your original OS. Reboot and hopefully the second OS will load and OS 1 will be hidden. Use Pqboot32.exe to get back to OS 1.

Where are you storing the image of partition 1? It should not be stored on the same HD in case something happens while doing the above.

Sorry, it’s the only way I know.

I have two WinXP partitions on my computer but I installed them separately.

IP Logged

Andrew

Reply #37 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 6:28pm

Brian

Thanks for the info, I will refer to this if I get Partition Magic. Sounds like I shall have to buy it. I have a little knowledge of PM and had read that it included Boot Manager and so wondered if this might do the trick i.e. boot into different partitions? Is this not the case then? What does Boot Manager actually do?

On my last corrupted xp pro installation, before I gave up and reformatted & reinstalled, I tried the XP repair installation option on the xp disk. It all crashed when half way through it asked for the original XP CD, as it needed a load of files. It couldn't find them on the disk, & I sort of assumed that as I had previously downloaded SP2, the files it wanted were not on the original xp disk. Unfortunately it clearly wasn't seeing them on the system either. Stuck. It was probably about this point that I thought I needed to get Ghost for the future!

Anyway, I reinstalled the original xp over the top, but into a new directory,"Window" not the default "Windows" directory. When I rebooted I got the dual boot menu offering two XP Pro OS's. One was the corrupted one which if selected just tried to initiate Setup for the repair again, and the other, the new one, booted into a clean XP installation, allowing me to get my files off, although it didn't see any of the programs of course.

I note that you have installed two XP partitions on your drive. Do you have a backup image of both, and could you restore the 2nd one to a working OS from the image if you had to? This seems to be what I am trying to achieve. I had assumed that a restored clone of a drive image would be bootable.

I have now installed a copy of XP in the 2nd partition, so have two XP partitions as you do, and have the dual boot menu again appear on startup. Could I now restore my image of partition 1 into partition 2 to save downloading all the updates again, AND have it boot? Sorry that I seem I am missing something somewhere.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #38 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 8:11pm

Andrew, I should have referred you to Dan's web-site on MultiBooting. Along with Rad's Guide to Norton Ghost, it's among the best computer articles available.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm#partsigs

I'm not familiar with what you are doing. The "Microsoft way" as Dan calls it. I do it the PM way. I have images of each OS and I restore the second OS to its original state every few weeks to get rid of software that I have been examining. I think that is your aim too.

Partition Magic includes Boot Magic. I used it in the past but as I only boot to my second OS once a week or so, I find using Pqboot32.exe is simpler.

Here are some instructions from PowerQuest. For Win 2000 you could read Win XP.

Quote:
Solution: How to Partition Your Hard Disk to Install Windows 2000/XP on an Existing Windows 2000/XP System (PartitionMagic 8.0)

1. In the Partition list, right-click the current Windows 2000/XP partition.

2. Click "Resize / Move."

3. In the "Free Space After" field, enter the total size (in megabytes) for the new Windows 2000/XP partition.

Or, to place the new partition before the existing Windows partition, enter the size in the "Free Space Before" field.

IMPORTANT! In most cases, Windows 2000 and Windows XP partitions should start below the 8 GB boundary of the hard drive to be bootable. If your system supports INT13 extensions, then Windows 2000 and Windows XP can boot from a partition that begins beyond the 8 GB boundary. Consult your system documentation to determine if your system supports INT13 extensions.

4. Click "OK."

5. In the Partition list, right-click the new unallocated space.

6. Click "Create."

7. From the "Create As" drop-down list select "Primary Partition."

8. From the "Partition Type" drop-down list, select "FAT32."

NOTE: Windows 2000/XP also supports FAT and NTFS partition types. FAT partitions are limited in size to 2 GB.

9. (Optional) In the "Label" field, enter a descriptive name for the partition.

10. Verify that the size displayed in the "Size" field is sufficient to install Windows 2000/XP.

11. Click "OK."

12. Right-click the new partition, and then select Advanced > Set Active from the quick menu.

13. Click "OK" to confirm that you want to set the new partition active.

Set the partition active if you plan on installing Windows now. If you want to install Windows later, wait until that time to set the partition active. The active partition is the partition that the computer attempts to boot to when the machine is started up. Windows always assigns the active partition the drive letter C:.

14. Click "Apply."

15. Click "Yes" to apply the changes.

NOTE: If the partition you are resizing has open files on it, PartitionMagic will prompt you that it must reboot the machine to apply the changes. Click "OK" to allow the machine to reboot. Make sure there are no floppy diskettes or CDs inserted in the machine.

16. Once the changes have been applied, use the Windows 2000/XP installation floppy diskettes or CD to reboot the machine and start the Windows installation.

Make sure that the boot sequence in your system's BIOS is set to boot from either floppy diskettes or CD first, and the hard drive second. Some machines may not be able to boot from CD, or the CD may not be bootable. Check your documentation to verify this.

17. Once Windows 2000/XP is installed, you may install BootMagic so you can choose which operating system to boot when the computer starts up.

And for Boot Magic

Quote:
Solution: How to Install BootMagic on an NTFS System (PartitionMagic 7.0)

NOTE: BootMagic cannot be installed on an NTFS partition. It can only be installed on a FAT or FAT32 primary partition on the first disk, and the FAT or FAT32 partition must begin before the disk's 8 GB boundary. 

This document shows you how to:

- Create a FAT primary partition on a disk that has only an NTFS partition (or partitions) on it.
- Install BootMagic to the FAT partition.
- Configure BootMagic so that it does not hide the FAT partition.

To install BootMagic on a system that has only NTFS partitions, perform the following:

1. Start PartitionMagic.

2. From the "Disk" drop-down list, select Disk 1 (if you have more than one disk).

3. In the tree view, right-click the first primary NTFS partition (if there are multiple NTFS partitions on your hard disk) and select "Resize/Move" from the quick menu.

4. In the "Free Space Before" field, type 50.

Or, to place the new partition after the NTFS partition, enter the size in the "Free Space After" field.   

IMPORTANT!  The BootMagic partition must start below the 8 GB boundary of the hard drive and must be at least 32 MB large.

5. Click "OK."

6. Right-click the new unallocated space and select "Create" from the quick menu.

7. From the "Create As" drop-down list, select "Primary Partition." 

NOTE: You can have only four primary partitions per hard disk. If your hard disk already contains four primary partitions, you must delete one of your existing primary partitions or convert it to a logical partition before you can create the primary FAT partition for BootMagic.

8. From the "Partition Type" drop-down list, select "FAT."

9. (Optional) In the "Label" field, enter a descriptive name for the partition (such as "BootMagic").

10. Click "OK."

11. Verify that the status of the new FAT partition is "None."

If the status of the FAT partition is "Hidden," do the following to set the status to "None":

a. Right-click the FAT partition and select Advanced > Unhide Partition from the quick menu.
     b. Click "OK" when asked if you are sure you want to unhide the partition.
     c. Click "Yes" when the warning message appears.

12. Click the "Apply Changes" icon.

13. Click "Yes" to confirm that you want to apply the changes.

NOTE: If the partition you are resizing has open files on it, PartitionMagic will prompt you that it must reboot the machine to apply the changes. Click "OK" to allow the machine to reboot. Make sure there are no floppy diskettes or CDs inserted in the machine. Once the changes have been applied and Windows has loaded, verify that the new partition has a drive letter.

14. Install BootMagic.

The new FAT partition will be automatically selected as the destination location for BootMagic. Create the BootMagic diskette when prompted during the installation process. When the BootMagic installation is complete, the BootMagic Configuration program automatically loads.

IMPORTANT!!!  Do not allow the machine to reboot until you have completed steps 15-22!

15. From the BootMagic Configuration menu bar, click Options > Advanced Partition Hiding.

A checkmark appears to the left of the "Advanced Partition Hiding" menu item.

16. In the "BootMagic Runtime Menu" group box, verify that your current Windows operating system is highlighted in the list of available operating systems.

17. Click "Properties."

18. Click the "Visible Partitions" tab.

19. Place a mark in the "Override Default Selections" checkbox.

20. Place a mark in the checkbox next to the FAT partition where BootMagic is installed.

21. Click "OK."

22. Click "Save/Exit."

23. Reboot the machine to apply the changes.

You can now use BootMagic with your NTFS system.

Note, this is for BM 7. The Boot Magic 8 partition can be  anywhere on the HD and can even be on the second HD.

IP Logged

Mario

Reply #39 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 6:18pm

Hi,

I need help cloning my harddrive of my notebook!
I got a 20G Harddrive installed in my Laptop, after space got rare I purchased a 80G Harddrive!
Now I used Ghost 9 to clone the Harddrive IDE to USB! Everything went fine so far, shut down the Computer, exchanged the Harddrives, switched it back on.
Windows logo appears, it boots up to the blue screen before the User login appears. At that point nothing is happening anymore, not even in save mode. I did clone a harddrive on a desktop with win2000 which worked out fine.
Really don't know what the Problem is.

I read something about, that XP is saving something like the Product Number of each harddrive, so it won't let you use a different harddrive which hasn't got allowed to be used by windows. Could that be the Reason.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Any suggestions?

thanks,
Mario

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #40 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 6:25pm

Mario,

It sounds like you did everything correctly but there is a MBR problem. Try fdisk /mbr. Let us know the progress.

See Method #3

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

Out of interest, did you Drive Copy into a partition on your 80 GB drive or into unallocated space?

IP Logged

Mario

Reply #41 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 6:45pm

Hi Brian,

thanks for your suggestion.
I don't have the Laptop in front of me right now, but I will try in the next couple of hours.
And for your interest, I copied the harddrive into an unallocated space.
Also, are you sure there is a MBR problem as the harddrive is booting! It is only before the final Desktop appears, actually before the user login appears, it stops working! I do have a regular boot time of about 15 Seconds, until the system stops.
Or does the mbr has something to do with the drive letters -> like the link you gave me!

Anyway, I'll try your mbr tweak and let you know what happens.

thanks,
mario

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #42 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 6:52pm

Quote:
The boot process may hang (usually at the login or blue "Welcome" screen) while XP-2 searches in vain for "drive C:".

From the link.

IP Logged

Mario

Reply #43 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 7:09pm

Working!

Thanks for help Brian, I did use the fixmbr of the winxp recovery cd first, until nothing has changed I started to read the article.
Looked around for a win98 cd, gladly found one, and now it's working.

Thanks again for this fast and great support,
Mario

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 12:52am

Isn't it great when things work.

In retrospect, what do you think went wrong? Did you tick "Copy MBR"?

PS  Did you choose a drive letter of "None"?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print