Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
Cloning partitions with Ghost 9 (Read 249691 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Cloning partitions with Ghost 9
Reply #75 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 2:20am

Andrew James Chang

I would give this a try:

Instead of *partition(
)*....try *partition(
)*

My reasoning--even though you created the new *40 GB* partition *to the left* of the data partition--so physically it occupies the *1st partition*
position
--
I'm betting that in the partition table--because that 40 GB partition has been created after the first partition (i.e. second) on the HDD--it may be identified in the ARC path as the second partition as far as booting.

I may be wrong, of course--this stuff gets all muddled--but it's a simple trial--worth the time to try?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #76 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 3:27am

I agree. I used to have a partition 1 that only booted with partition(2) in the boot.ini.

Andrew, I don't think you made any mistakes.

IP Logged

AndrewChang
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #77 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 12:31am

Hey guys, you were right. I edited my boot.ini to access partition(2) and all was good. I just wanted to thank Brian, Ghost4me.John, and NightOwl for helping me through this. You guys were rad!

ciao,
AJ

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #78 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 3:42am

Andrew, I'm pleased it worked out.

Good call NightOwl.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #79 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 10:46am

Yes, NightOwl and Brian, that was a good one.

So does that mean that the 160gb primary partition is not viewable because it is not active?  Or is it just that the bios or boot can only handle one active partition per physical drive?

Can a drive letter be assigned to the 160gb partiton in XP even though not an active partition?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #80 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 12:59pm

Ghost4me.John

I have no personal experience *unhidding* additional primary partitions, but quoting from PowerQuests PartitionMagic v8.x User Guide, page 64:

Quote:
3 To confirm that you want to hide the partition, click OK.

Under Windows 9x and Windows Me, hiding and unhiding partitions can cause the drive letters of other partitions to change. When this happens, your computer may not boot and applications may not run. PowerQuest recommends that you allow DriveMapper to run automatically to update drive letter references that change as a result of hiding or unhiding partitions.

If your hard disk has more than one primary partition, only one is visible by default.  When you use the Set Active operation, PartitionMagic unhides the selected primary partition and hides other primary partitions.
While you can unhide more than one primary partition, we recommend that you do not.

(NightOwl edit:  I think the above is in reference to Win98 or ME OS's.)

If you are running Windows NT/2000/XP, partitions are not hidden automatically; therefore, you can have multiple visible primary partitions.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #81 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 3:51pm

Partition Magic:
"While you can unhide more than one primary partition, we recommend that you do not. "

NightOwl: 
"I think the above is in reference to Win98 or ME OS's."

That's correct.  Multiple primaries is a Microsoft-supported configuration with NT/2000/XP/2003.  If was not an officially supported configuration with DOS/Win9x (although it would actually work in many cases).

(In case it needs to be clarified, note we're only talking about multiple primary volumes on the same hard disk.  If you had multiple hard disks, DOS/Win9x supported more than one primary in the system, but no more than one per hard disk.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #82 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 4:23pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Dec 29th, 2005 at 3:51pm:
Multiple primaries is a Microsoft-supported configuration with NT/2000/XP/2003.  If was not an officially supported configuration with DOS/Win9x (although it would actually work in many cases).

Dan, thanks for that clarification for XP, etc.  I'm still curious as to why the boot.ini had to point to partition(2)?  I'm wondering (guessing) that at some time prior to the cloning, that Andrew had the second drive visible to XP and XP assigned the existing 200GB (later resized to 160GB) partition as partition(1).

If Andrew had started with a completely blank unformatted 200GB drive, cloned from his 40gb to the 200gb, made it active and bootable, then I'm betting boot.ini would have said partition(1).  What does everyone think?

(Just trying to understand this process.  Thanks for all opinions!)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #83 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 3:36pm

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partbkgd.htm#pt_order

See line beginning
Quote:
Typically, you'll find the MPT order follows the chronological order in which the corresponding partitions were created.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #84 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 4:07pm

Thanks Brian and Dan for the explanation.  Everything makes sense now.   Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #85 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 4:14pm

Dan, I added a link in the FAQ with your great partition explanations.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #86 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 10:30am

Ghost4me.John

I had a problem similar to AndrewChang (actually a bit more complicated--I'll share if someone really wants the mind numbing details--anyone may read into that--*home movies* being shown friends and relatives  Cheesy !).

It was Dan's webpage reference above that started my down the path to figuring out the issue--and I finally resolved the problem--but here's a tool that finally helped:

Editing the Boot.ini file using BTini

If you expand *Editing Boot.ini*, it explains how to use *PartInfo.exe* to generate a *Diagnostic Report*--after the shown example of the diagnositic report, it outlines how to determine what the actual boot number is needed for the *partitition(X)* in the boot.ini file.

If you expand *If Boot.ini is on an NTFS partition*--there's a link to download the program to edit boot.ini called *BTini*, or click here:

BTini.zip

There appears to be better tools for editing *boot.ini* now:

The Ghost 9.x and 10.x *Recovery Disk*, I think under *Advanced Utilities* has a *Edit Boot.ini* utility.

And there is a freeware program that can be run from DOS from TeraByte called *EditBINI* found here:

TeraByte Unlimited Freeware--look for EditBINI

You can get *PartInfo for DOS* here:

PartInfo.zip for DOS

and how to use it here:

Generating diagnostic reports using Partinfo.exe

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #87 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 12:15pm

Thanks NightOwl. I learned something here; previously I thought the boot.ini only needed modifying when the physical partition order on a disc got changed.  I didn't realize that the entries could/would not always match the order of partitions on the disc.

Another addition to the FAQ.

IP Logged

DoctorDan

Reply #88 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:57pm

I installed Windows XP on a new drive (clean install)
I tried to clone the new XP C: drive onto my backup disk Windows 2000 Pro C: drive.  Both Op sys are formatted in the NTFS. 
Strangely enough, the op sys is NTFS and the other partitions are FAT32 formats. I don’t know why, but everything works perfectly fine this way. 
I used  Symantec Ghost 9.0 (failed) and Ghost 2003 which failed.
I can boot with the clone and watch it freeze just prior the welcome screen. 
I make all of my clones using Ghost 2003 by booting from a diskette so, “ I know the routine”  because of my many successes.

My backup “receiving disk” had Windows 2000 Professional in the C: primary partition. 
All I wanted to do was clone the new XP bootable partition over into the “Windows 2000 partition and leave the other data partitions alone. 

I went back to Ghost 2003 where I shut down the op sys and booted with a diskette. 

I used Partition Magic to diagnose the error.  Failure 1516, “Partition improperly dismounted.”  I ran chkdsk /f as their suggested fix.  No success. 
Chkdsk found no errors. 
I followed all of the recovery procedures, including using Norton Systemworks  2005 Disk Doctor didn’t find any errors.   
A subsequent trial said that chkdsk found several undefined errors, with no descriptions or suggestions how to fix any of them. 

At first blush I thought that maybe the hang up might have been caused by the fact that I did not register XP yet (still going to change my motherboard as part of upgrading my computer) and perhaps MS thought I was doing a mass install (deployment) and locked me out.  The software is legitimate so I registered and tried to clone again with no success.  It takes me 2 hours and 11 minutes to clone just one partition, so a lot of my time is being wasted by FUBAR software.

I haven’t tried cloning the entire disk because 300 gigs (couldn’t pass up a brand new Seagate 300 gig for $79 bucks) will not go into 120 gigs. I have manageable partitions, and Ghost will only let me do one partition at a time anyway. 

I have a love hate relationship with Symantec. When it works (any program, it is wonderful)  When anything goes bad, whether I caused it or not, it is horrible. I have had many “go-arounds” with “Mark Anthony” somewhere in India.  All I got was bad advice and the run-around. Their web-site diagnostic section is miserable with a usual final solution of editing the registry. Been there, done that and don’t want to fool with it.

I am at a loss how to get a good backup. I STRONGLY DISAGREE  with those who advocate simply re-installing the operating system as a recovery method.  Backing up the data is a snap.  Re-constructing the op sys is a nightmare in wasted time.  Several times I just cloned my fully operational, spare hard drive over the recently messed up one, plugged it in and was back in business in a matter of minutes instead of hours and days. 

My ultimate goal is to put the 120 gig in an external USB enclosure and do my cloning without having to remove covers or having to swap cables and jumpers.  I am still a long way from that and I will not buy any more of Symantec’s bloatware to try to achieve that goal, so any words of advice are more than welcome. 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #89 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 10:11pm

Quote:
I can boot with the clone and watch it freeze just prior the welcome screen. 

DoctorDan,

See http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

I don't think you have been cloning into Unallocated Space. It's worth trying especially if there are problems.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print