Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GHOST A 4xRAID 0 DRIVE? (Read 8259 times)
MagicMan
Ex Member

GHOST A 4xRAID 0 DRIVE?
Jun 30th, 2005 at 4:48pm

Simple question, about a complicated situation.

I have 6 hard drives in my computer, 4 36 gig WD Sata Raptors running RAID 0, and 2 back up old 30 gig drives running individually. The raptors are the C: drive, and the other 2 are the D: and E: drives.

I know some of you have thoughts in your mind such as "what in the world are u thinking with that hard drive setup" all i can say is... dont ask. 

I just need an answer as to: 'is it possible to ghost this raid drive' and then restore it with no headaches. 

Maybe there is a topic somewhere about this, and im just blind. if there is, could someone link me? if not could someone help me? ive been trying to find an answer to this question for about 3 years now, since the raptors came out, ive had 4 in my computer. and i cant count the times ive had to re-install windows cause of some screw up.

im keeping my computer with just the bare essentials installed like drivers and what not. just so i can create a small image to test the possibility of restoring properly.

once again, if you have answers please let me know! thank you for your time. (if you have any questions about my hardware, let me know what you need to know and i'll gladly answer) my AIM is VisionsIllusions, as you can see, i need answers asap, who knows when the next time i log into these forums is gonna be.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: GHOST A 4xRAID 0 DRIVE?
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 4:53pm

read the section on raid here:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1a.htm

bottom line = it depends ..

.. on your controller, etc.

i think you have a good chance, but you'll never know for sure until you try.

my advice: use partition magic to create a small partition at the end of your stripe. put some data there .. non-important stuff. create an image and then delete the (non-important) data.

restore the image.

then you'll know.

IP Logged

MagicMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 5:01pm

which version of ghost should i have to attempt this crazyness?

and another question. i want to totaly format my RAID (C:) before restoring. is this ok? what steps should i take?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 5:12pm

i prefer ghost 2003 for these reasons:

http://ghost.radified.com/norton_ghost_90.htm

others prefer v9.0

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 1:04am

MagicMan

I think Ghost can make a backup image of most 'stripped' arrays, but it will be a simple backup--it will not contain the necessary data to put the information back on the four different HDD in the same arrangement that the files occupied when the image was created.

So a restore will have to be to a single HDD volume with the needed size capacity to hold the amount of data being restored.  So, if you recreate the stripped array before restoring the the image, and Ghost sees that array as a single volume, it may be able to restore the data successfully--but, you could not just replace a single member of the array and restore its data independently.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

MagicMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 8:47pm

I read everything you guys wrote, and later tonight, im going to try the following:

whip out my 03 ghost boot floppy. ghost my C: to the E: in a back up folder. Format my C: from the floppy. deconstruct my raid, format all 4 drives individually, reconstruct the raid, Fdisk to create partition, format, and reboot with the ghost floppy, then restore from the E:.

If that doesnt work, (fdisking and all) i'll boot with the XP cd, and after it does its own formatting to NTFS and partitioning, i'll reboot with the ghost disk and try restoring from there. i'll let you know what works

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print