Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 9 over a network (Read 141750 times)
innie808
N00b

AS Ya do!

Adelaide Australia

Re: Using Ghost 9 over a network
Reply #30 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 8:59am

Brian,

Glad I was able to point  you in the right direction.

IP Logged

Rockdrala

Reply #31 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 2:20am

Okay I have a lot images.

Basically these are my needs. I need to boot a a freshly built computer with a NEW hard Drive off a cdrom.

This cdrom needs to allow to me to clone a image to the new hard drive.

The bootable cdrom also needs to be able to load support for accessing this library of images over the network wether its hard lined or wifi.

What do you recommended?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #32 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 4:30am

Which version of Ghost are you using? Could you be more specific regarding your computer plans?

IP Logged

jacpot

Reply #33 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 11:58am

I tried everything Brian suggested, got the familiar "Domain, User, & password" box and everytime I followed the instructions to the "T", I got an error telling me that c:\windows\system32\<drive>\<folder>\etc, etc, was not found.
In desperation I created the same exact users and passwords on both machines, still didn't work, then I stumbled across the "Options" in Ghost and selected "Default Location" and "network" with appropriate path and viola! it works.

Thanks for the postings, it helped get the brain in the right wave to figure this booger out.

IP Logged

Adam

Reply #34 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 8:27pm

Hello. I don't know if anyone will see this, the post looks a little old but it's worth a try. I'm having a strange problem with using Ghost 9.0 over my network. I tried to backup an image of my hard drive to the 'Shared Documents' folder on a networked computer, but I didn't realize there wasn't enough space on the networked hard drive to hol d the image. I got an error on Ghost saying the backup failed due to insufficient disk space. I hit close on the window assuming the image was not created and won't take up any hard drive space on my networked computer. Well apparently the remaining hard drive space on my networked computer that was previously free is now being used up but there's no image file or any other file for that matter in the shared documents folder or anywhere else on the hard drive. I have view hidden files and folders activated and there's nothing there. It's like the free space on my networked computer has been set aside to be used for a partial image that doesn't exist. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've never ran into anything like this before with my other computer/networking usage. If anyone could help me figure out how to free up that hard drive space again without reformating that'd be great.
Thanks.
Adam

IP Logged

Andy Hamilton

Reply #35 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 11:34am

Hi, do you have Norton installed? if so try looking in the NPROTECT hidden folder which is a sub dir of the RECYCLER folder on the root of your target drive. I had this same problem and only found where it was by checking the properties of each directory to check its size. Hope this helps for you. Cheers Andy

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 2:18pm

IP Logged

Steve Rainbird

Reply #37 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 4:13am

I have a similar problem to this thread and I wonder if anybody has any solutions.

When I get to the backup location I put in the network address and the pc goes away and thinks for at least 5 minutes and eventually comes up with the user/password box.  After that all goes well and I can do a backup.  The nest time I try and do a backup the job sits at 1% fro about 5 minutes and then gives up saying it cannot find the network location.

Any ideas?

IP Logged

notfrompompey
N00b

Portsmouth, England

Reply #38 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 5:52am

I have just started working for a chap who builds pcs, networks etc and then maintains them. 

He has asked me to find out how to create images of all the differant builds we do and store them on the server.  The idea being after building a new machine I can then connect the new machine to the network and copy the appropriate image to the new hdd on that machine whether that be IDE or SATA hdd.

It sounds preatty much like the guy 'Rockdrala' requirements to be honest.

"Basically these are my needs. I need to boot a a freshly built computer with a NEW hard Drive off a cdrom. 

This cdrom needs to allow to me to clone a image to the new hard drive. 

The bootable cdrom also needs to be able to load support for accessing this library of images over the network wether its hard lined or wifi. 

What do you recommended"

There is a copy of Ghost 9 in the workshop, so I guess it would be this I would use.

notfrompompey  
IP Logged

ncjohn
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 8:27pm

I have been reading this thread and thought maybe one of you smart folks might be able to answere my question. I am using Ghost 9 over a network and for the most part it works fine. However, It appears that when ever I reboot my computer the backup jobs I loose the Domain name, user name and PW. I have to get into Ghost 9 anad reenter them before it runs it's next schedule otherwise I get an Access Denied error. Any thought on how to keep from having to do this? Thanks for any help

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #40 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 11:38pm

Is your pc and the others part of a peer to peer workgroup or is there a domain controller?

Is your pc Windows XP home, and the "server" pc (the one with the shared folder) XP home or XP pro?

Do you logon to your pc when you boot it?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

ncjohn
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 4:55am

Both machines are in a workgroup and they both use XP pro. Login is not used for eather machine. The backups are made to a secondary hard drive on one of the computers which is "Shared" and otherwise accessable on the network.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #42 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:18am

Quote:
Both machines are in a workgroup and they both use XP pro. Login is not used for either machine. The backups are made to a secondary hard drive on one of the computers which is "Shared" and otherwise accessible on the network.

In Xp Pro, ALL pc's that are to have access must have a valid userid/password unless you have the guest account turned on.

The easiest/best way to solve this is:

1. On pc-server (the one with the secondary hard drive) look in the User Accounts in the control panel.  Assign a password to the pc-server account.  Add another account, pc-user (whatever is the one that already exists in the other pc) with a password.

2. On the other pc, go to User Accounts, assign same password as the was defined for this user in the other pc-server.

Since you aren't used to logons and password, you can use the free tweakui program from Microsoft to log each pc on when you turn it on:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

XP Pro is built for security and no-one is going to get access to the pc by design unless authorized.  That's why you lose it at shut down, because you have to re-authenticate.

After fixing the logons and userids, then in Ghost 9 change the definition slightly of one of the backups.  It will ask for the domain name (use workgroup name) id (use your account-name) and password.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

ncjohn
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:53am

Thanks Ghost4Me, I will give that a go

IP Logged

wadegiles
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 9:12pm

I found a solution that seems to work.   Locate Norton Ghost under in the Administrative Tools\Services list.  Change the logon to reflect the username and password you've set up identically on both computers.  Restart the service.  When you create a backup job, you won't even be prompted for credentials.  You can use shares or mapped drives as the destination for the backup as well.  What a relief!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print