Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 9 over a network (Read 141749 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Using Ghost 9 over a network
Jul 8th, 2005 at 1:55am

Here are some brief instructions on creating and restoring Ghost 9 images over a home network. It’s really not much different from using Ghost 9 on a single computer. The computer being imaged or restored has to be cabled to the router but other computers on the network can be wireless.

(
amended
28 Sept: Imaging can be done from a wireless computer. Non system partitions can be restored to a wireless computer. It's only Recovery Environment procedures that need to be cabled.)

Ghost 9 can only create images from Windows (not from the Recovery Environment) and can only restore system partitions from the  RE. Non system partitions can be restored from Windows or the RE.

It’s worth trying the Map Network Drive feature in the RE just to confirm that the Ghost 9 CD has drivers for your network card. If you can map a drive it’s OK. If you can’t map a drive then you need to use the BartPE/ Ghost 9 CD as you can add your own drivers.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

Creating an image

Before starting Ghost 9, make sure your Mapped network drive(s) is connected and visible in Windows.

Start Ghost 9 and choose “Back Up Drive”
Choose the drive to backup (ie the drive to be imaged)
In Backup Location, select Network file
Don’t click Browse
In the “Network Folder to store backup images” field, type the drive letter of your Mapped drive eg S:
If you get a "Connect As" window, enter your Workgroup in the Domain field and also username and password.
Click Next
Continue the wizard

Restoring an image from Windows

Before starting Ghost 9, make sure your Mapped network drive(s) is connected and visible in Windows.

Start Ghost 9 and choose “Restore a Drive”
In the “Backup Image to Restore” window choose Network file and click Browse
Click the drop down arrow in “Look in”
Choose your Mapped Drive and navigate to your image
Click Next
Continue the wizard

Restoring an image from the Recovery Environment

Boot to the RE
Click Yes for Networking
Click and adjust Time Zone
Click Advanced Recovery Tasks
Click Utilities
Click Map Network Drive (this maps a drive on the other computer)
Don’t click Browse
In the Folder field, add your network share as \\computername\share  (The other computer)
Instead of the computername you can type the NIC IP address of the other computer (if it has a static IP address) eg \\192.168.1.6\share
Enter Username and password when requested
Click “System Restore”
Choose Restore Drives
Choose Single drive (or other choice)
Click Browse
Click the drop down arrow in “Look in”
Don’t click My Network Places
Choose your Mapped Drive and navigate to your image
Choose Restore Destination
Continue the wizard

PS If you aren't using a router to connect your computers for the RE operation, then a few changes are needed. First, have a static IP address for the NIC in your other computer.
After clicking Utilities
Click Configure IP Address (this is for the computer containing the Ghost 9 CD)
Click Modify (for IP#1) and assign an appropriate IP address and subnet mask address (not the same address as the other computer)
If it won't let you modify #1, then modify #2 with an IP address. If your present computer has a static IP address, use that number, but it doesn't have to be the exact same number, just in the same range.
Click Map Network Drive
In the Folder field type the NIC IP address of the other computer eg \\192.168.1.6\share
( \\computername\share doesn't work without a router)
Continue as above

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Using Ghost 9 over a network
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 5:14am

Thanks Brian.

I will update the guide to include a link here.

R.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 5:49am

I realize it will be a rarely used technique but a few may benefit. I rarely use it myself although it's nice to know that it is possible.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 11:01pm

Ah, thx for the email reminder. Done. See here:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_network.htm (~half-way down)

Updating the PDFs now.

Rad

Thx for contributing.

Where do you live? Down under?

Update - In the PDFs, I simply *link* to the network addendum page .. to save PDF space. Forgot I had changed that earlier this year. Made the job a little easier.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 11:10pm

Thanks Rad. Yes, glorious Lennox Head, Australia. I'm just watching the humpbacks swimming north to spend summer and breed in southern Queensland.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 2:48am

For our visitors:

http://www.lennox-head.net/

Always interesting to learn where people are from. One of the things that makes the Net so grand.

IP Logged

VIncent

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 4:34pm

Can any one tell me if I able to download this Recovery Environment CD in any website? thanks for any instruction.

IP Logged

robinmh1
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 6:42pm

It seems that in most cases of "Ghost over a network", the Ghost image is of a local drive and the image is stored in a remote location.  Is it possible to use Ghost 9 the other way around?  That is, make an image of a  drive on a remote machine and store it locally (i.e. on the machine running Ghost)?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 6:47pm

Not with Ghost 9. Symantec has several LiveState Recovery Server versions that probably do what you desire.

IP Logged

Ptg24
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 1:52pm

If my router has 4 ports and I connect the "image server" computer connects wirelessly, can I restore the same image to 4 computers at once?  Or do I have to have 4 copies of the image on the server.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 6:00pm

I haven't used the Server version. Ghost 9 won't do this.

IP Logged

Bob Pasky

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 7:32am

Brian wrote on Jul 8th, 2005 at 1:55am:
Start Ghost 9 and choose “Back Up Drive”
Choose the drive to backup (ie the drive to be imaged)
In Backup Location, select Network file
Don’t click Browse
In the “Network Folder to store backup images” field, type the drive letter of your Mapped drive eg S:\
Click Next
Continue the wizard

This is fine, so far, but I can't find any information on what to do next. When you click Next from this point, you get a pop-up that asks for your Domain, Username and Password.
No matter what I type in these fields all I get is the same pop-up (blanked out) over again.

I have a typical home network with 3 machines connected via a router and a single user account on each machine. None of them have a password.

I read somewhere on a Symantec help file that blank passwords are not supported, so I added a new user on the target system and gave it a password. It didn't accept that, either.

Can anybody tell me how to get past this step?

TIA
-- Bob

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 9:17am

Bob,

Glad to see someone is trying this.

I have the same username on each computer and the same password on each computer. You know I don't mean that the username is the same as the password. I tried following my instructions tonight and the same window popped up that you described. I haven't see it before. In "Domain" I typed my Workgroup, also typed my username and password and it accepted the info and moved on. I closed Ghost, restarted Ghost and my instructions again but this time there was no popup. It worked as per my instructions. A mystery.

So with your normal username on each computer I'd add the same password to each computer. Reboot each computer. Let us know if that works.

IP Logged

Bob Pasky

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 2:12pm

Brian wrote on Aug 31st, 2005 at 9:17am:
Bob,

Glad to see someone is trying this.

So with your normal username on each computer I'd add the same password to each computer. Reboot each computer. Let us know if that works.

Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

I added the same password to both systems for the same username, rebooted and tried again. (The user name on both systems has Admin. privileges.)

Same result. It just keeps coming back with the same prompt and I can't continue to the next step.

I'll keep looking (for a while) to find some answers.

-- Bob

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 6:08pm

Bob,

I tried it again today and I get the "Connect As" window on the first Ghost attempt after a reboot. I didn't get that window when I wrote the instructions. I'll edit.

I'm using WinXP Pro. I can see the contents of the mapped drive before I open Ghost. Ghost 9 won't image to a shared folder. It has to be a mapped drive. It sounds like you are doing the same as me except that it won't accept your user info.

If you can't sort it out then a work-around is to image across the network with a Reatogo BartPE/Ghost 9 CD. It should only take you 15 to 30 minutes to make the CD. 10 minutes when you are experienced.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

The disadvantage is that you have to boot to the CD instead of imaging from Windows, but it does work.

PS Now Ghost 9 will image to a shared folder. Confusing. It's variable.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print