Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 8 Boot CD (Read 9905 times)
JunkyJu
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 8 Boot CD
Jul 20th, 2005 at 9:58am

Is it possible to create a valid Ghost Boot CD when you need to add more than 1.44 Mb of data?
The Ghost program is too big to fit on a disk with the other files needed.
I used Roxio v5 to create the 2 bootable BIN files, and then add the Ghost directory to the CD and burn the thing.
WinXP can see all files and directories, but when I reboot from the CD and look in DOS, it does not see the GHOST directory!?!?!?!?
Everything works until it looks for the Ghost program.
Made 30 coasters so far trying this with Roxio, Nero and WinImage.  Anyone else encountered this problem?

Why can't they just offer the option of creating a bootable CD from a directory on your HD?
Any assistance appreciated.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 8 Boot CD
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 1:38pm

Not sure where the problem is.

I don't use bootable CDs myself, preferring a floppy instead, but you might find these resources helpful:

http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

The second link is specifically designed to work with Ghost9, but I'm sure you could modify it to work with v8.

Is that the corporate version you have?

IP Logged

JunkyJu
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 2:04pm

Yes, it is the Corporate version.
I've tried to get it to work using WinImage, Roxio, and Nero.
Every burning program seems to limit you to 1.44 for creating a bootable CD.

IP Logged

DaddyO
Radmeister

Oh, brother.

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 2:27pm

NightOwl's guide doesn't require a floppy. That might be your answer.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 6:35pm

There is a Ghost 8 plugin for BartPE. Not what you asked for but at least Ghost 8 will run from the bootable CD.

The plugin is on this page

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Build BartPE from here

http://www.reatogo.de/

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

Just copy your completed plugin to the BartPE Plugin folder. Then you can use BartPE features, such as external USB HD support and networking, with Ghost 8.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 7:59pm

JunkyJu

You might find the needed info on how to use WinImage and Roxio here:

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

Your specific needs will be addressed in Project #3, but you need to use WinImage to inject the first boot floppy disk files into a WinImage file, then change the image size from 1.44 MB to 2.88 MB.  Then you inject the files and/or directories of the second boot disk into the WinImage file.  Then save it as an .IMA file.

Depending on the config.sys and autoexec.bat, you may have to adjust the info there to get everything to work correctly--but, when booting, if you are given the option of indicating that you are booting from a *floppy disk* or *bootable CD*--choose *floppy disk*(!), and if asked for the second floppy disk--just press *enter* and the system should pick up the additional files in the 2.88 MB image file.

Use that .IMA file in Roxio as the boot image file, but you have to change the emulation from 1.44 MB to 2.88 MB floppy in the appropriate place.

When you use a non-standard floppy boot image size other than 1.44 MB, you will loose the ability to make bootable CD or DVD's directly with Ghost, because Ghost only supports the 1.44 MB boot image size.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

JunkyJu
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 8:03am

I actually have tried those things, with the exception of Bart's, that guide seems to go through 6000 steps to get 5 things done.
WinImage 2.88 emulation works, but does nothing but hang upon startup.  Black screen with cursor blinking, never gets to the menu.

I can see everything on the CD in WinXP, but DOS doesn't like it for some reason.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:35am

JunkyJu

How are you creating the two floppy boot disk set to use in WinImage?

Post your *autoexec.bat*, *config.sys*, and the list of files in the 2.88 MB boot sector that you create for the WinImage file.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

EJM3

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:13pm

I used a combination of things to make a multi-nic boot CD...  I used WinImage to make 2.88MB floppy images, and then used  Bootable CD Wizard v1.50Z from http://bootcd.narod.ru ; to make a CD.  That program allows you to boot to a CD and then launch any bootable floppy image.  Works great.

Build a basic bootable CD on a CDRW using his instructions, then make a working two-disk Ghost boot disk set.  As said above, make an image of disk one with Winimage, reformat it to 2.88Mb, and inject the files from the second disk.  This leaves you  with something like Ghost.IMA, a 2.88MB floppy image.  Configure the BCDW menu to add that as an option, and you can then boot to it.

You will find there are lots of issues since you are running off CD though.. I rebuilt all my floppy images to use XMSDSK (a RAM disk tool), then extracted everything to RAM disk and ran from there (several parts of the process will want to write back, which cant be done on CD).  Thus each floppy image launches, creates a RAM disk, unzips all files needed, then kicks off the process.

I ended up having to fit a lot into my floppy image files.. used FileWrangler from Cursor Arts to pack as much as possible into cab files, which then get extracted to RAMDisk.

It took a long time, but the end result is a CD with a ton of bootable floppy images - including Ghost boot disks for six differnet NICs in our company, HD Diag tools from major vendors, Win98 DOS tools, etc.  Even with all that extraction and RAMdisk hoohah, it is MUCH faster off CD than a boot floppy.

IP Logged

Junker

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 8:43am

I got similar problems like JunkyJu.

I followed the tutorial from Nightowl. The one and only exception was that i set the image size in winimage to 2.88MB because of the larger ghost.exe from Ghost 8

When booting the pc it shows me this:
"Remove disks or other media.
Press any key to restart"

When pressing any key with cd inside windows boots normal. when removing cd first it shows me the windows-boot menue to choose the windows-configuration (normal, secured, secured with network, etc.)

my autoexec.bat is like described in the tutorial:
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16/v
ghost.exe

also config.sys:
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
lastdrive=z

are there any lines i had to add or edit because of the larger image?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 11:10am

Junker

Quote:
"Remove disks or other media.
Press any key to restart"

Whenever you get this message during bootup--it means your system does not recognize the CD as bootable.

You did not mention what you are using to create and burn the bootable CD--Roxio, Nero, other...?  The burning program must support the *non-standard* 2.88 MB boot sector burning.  Usually the default is 1.44 MB, and you have to select 2.88 MB when setting the burning up.

IP Logged

gs

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 11:27am

IP Logged

Junker

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 3:52am

I'm working with Nero (5.5 and 6 available) but haven't found out where to change the size to 2.88MB

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 11:30am

Junker

I do not have the *full* version of Nero--only NeroExpress6--a *lite* version, but...

I think you start with the *File* menu item, "Click the 'CD-ROM (Boot)' icon - the Boot tab is in front", ...(quoting from the v5.xx user manual):

Quote:
5. The lower part of the tab (expert settings) contains detailed settings for 'El Torito' standard compliant bootable CDs. These settings are normally grayed which indicates that Nero makes the right settings for you automatically. 
When an image file is entered as the source of the boot image, Nero cannot make the right settings automatically. If this is the case, or if you want to change the expert settings manually, you can enter all the parameters by hand.
Activate the 'Enable expert settings' checkbox if required. You are of course now responsible for the CD working correctly later on.

If Nero supports using the 2.88 MB format, I think you will find the option here.

Let us know if this works!

IP Logged

Junker

Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 2:44am

Well i finally found the option. But i still get the same message when booting. So now the only difference to the guide is that i use Ghost8 so that my file is not 1.44MB.

Maybe there is a way i could do it with two 1.44MB files? But how do i have to burn the cd with two files?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print