Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disk image or Partition image? (Read 3151 times)
Revenant
N00b

Disk image or Partition image?
Jul 25th, 2005 at 1:05pm

I'm new to Ghost, so before I click "OK" --

What's the difference between making an image of a disk and making an image of a partition -- if you only have one partition on the disk? 

To be specific, I have XPPsp2 and my system drive is currently configured with one big partition.  Based on advice here, I'm using Ghost 2003, not Ghost 9.0.  I also thought it would be a good idea to back up before I started experimenting with partitioning schemes.  I suppose to be safe, I could just image the C:\ partition, but I was wondering what the difference is between these two operations.

Does Disk-->image create images of all the partitions on the disk?  Does it create one image per partition or one disk image that contains all the partitions?  When, if ever, would you use disk-->image?

IP Logged

DaddyO
Radmeister

Oh, brother.

Re: Disk image or Partition image?
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 1:29pm

if you only have one partition on the disk, i would use disk to image, because the size of the image would be the same. disk to image includes the whole disk, including the boot sector.

yeah, disk -> image images all the partitions on the disk and more. it would allow you to replace the disk, should be become defective, and restore the new one to lookm like the old one.

the downside is that disk-> image makes a larger image than partion -> image, especially if you have more tha one partition on the disk.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 1:37pm

some ideas for partitioning:

http://partition.radified.com/

i recommend partitioning a system drive so you have one partition containing only o/s & apps. no video, audio, gfx, or other large files, so your system drive stays small as possible, so you images stay small as possible.

IP Logged

Revenant
N00b

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 1:37pm

DaddyO wrote on Jul 25th, 2005 at 1:29pm:
if you only have one partition on the disk, i would use disk to image, because the size of the image would be the same. disk to image includes the whole disk, including the boot sector.

Thanks.  I kind of figured it was something like that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print