Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 disk marking (Read 2295 times)
Trey Clanton

Ghost 2003 disk marking
Aug 2nd, 2005 at 2:45pm

I have 4 identical IBM ThinkCentre PC's. I customized one of them and used sysprep to prepare it for imaging. When I used Ghost 2003 to clone from 1 drive to another I got a message saying that Ghost needs to mark this drive for use with Ghost. I said yes and I assume ghost "marked" the drive. I noticed that the size of the old partition is 7 MB larger that the size of the new partition and on the target drive there is 7 MB "Free". The clone doesn't boot in the new PC. It loads the BIOS then goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. On subsequent attempts ghost doesn't ask to "mark" this drive. What has Ghost done to "mark" the drive and how do I un "mark" it. Does anyone have any experience with this oddity? I have already used fdisk to delete the partitions on the target drive but Ghost still know it no longer needs "marking". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost 2003 disk marking
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 4:48pm

Trey Clanton

A rather lengthy discussion can be found here:

Re: Ghost 2003 build 793 Broken options (NOPtions)

The marking of the HDD is in Track 0, Sector 62--a part of the master boot record that is, as far as I can tell, rarely if ever in use by other programs--unaffected by deleting partitions, re-formating, etc.  Will only be erased if you over-write the master boot record that includes that sector, or use a disk editor to *zero* it out.

It has nothing to do with a boot problem--must be some other issue.

How did you do the cloning from one HDD to another?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print