Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Symantec Norton Ghost 10 (Read 195819 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Symantec Norton Ghost 10
Reply #30 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 6:32pm

Pleonasm

Just another thought--when it comes to restoring a whole drive, Ghost 9.x seems to lose its *ease of use* status.

You have to load the *Recovery Environment* from the *Recovery Disc* CD, and you have to have separate images for each partition, and have to restore each partition individually.  I'm not sure you can do *whole disk* recovery as a *single* operation or not--can you?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but a majority of issues with Ghost 9.x has not been the ease of creating back up images, but when it comes time to recover and restore those images to their HDD--that seems to be when most folks are reporting problems--now that's a reliability issue!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #31 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 6:34pm

Rad, I agree with you that the following two statements are true:
  • “…every additional process you have running concurrently while the image is created or restored adds another potential point of conflict”
  • “DOS eliminates all Windows-based processes”

But your conclusion?
  • “…which makes DOS-based Ghost 2003 necessarily more reliable”

Notice that you made the jump from “potential point of conflict” to “necessarily more reliable.”  There is a huge gap between potential and necessarily – right?

Here is a second version of the argument which reflects how it should read, in my opinion:
  • If “…every additional process you have running concurrently while the image is created or restored adds another potential point of conflict”, and
  • If “DOS eliminates all Windows-based processes,”
  • Then DOS-based Ghost 2003 is potentially more reliable than Windows-based Ghost 9.0/10.0.

I completely agree that Ghost 2003 is potentially more reliable than Windows-based Ghost 9.0/10.0, but I don’t agree that the former is necessarily more reliable than the latter.

If you concur with version #2 of the argument in this post, then the conversation returns to the issue of whether the potential better reliability of Ghost 2003 over Ghost 9.0/10.0 is in fact realized.  My suggestion is that no evidence exists that compels one to conclude that the potential is reality.  For example, "hot defragmentation" (i.e., defragmenting a Windows drive from within Windows) is potentially less reliable than doing so from DOS, but there is simply no evidence that such Windows tools as Diskeeper or Perfect Disk have reduced reliability over DOS counterparts.

As a consequence, I hold firm to the statement that Ghost 9.0/10.0 is no less reliable than Ghost 2003 – until such time as someone can document otherwise.

P.S.:  You are an excellent debating partner!   Wink

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #32 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 7:30pm

NightOwl, concerning your Reply #30 post, I agree that booting into a Recovery Environment for Ghost 9.0 is “inconvenient.”  The good news, however, is that this step ought to be a very rare event – necessary only when restoring the system drive.  Other than that one case, there is no need to invoke the Recovery Environment at all, and so the issue is minimal.

Multiple drives (“partitions”) can be restored in one step with Ghost 9.0 – see pages 76-77 in the User’s Guide.

With respect to Ghost 9.0 issues, I think on this forum we have seen them appear across the entire spectrum of the product including installation, image creation, and image restoration – similar to the experience with Ghost 2003.  I seriously doubt that Ghost 9.0 is completely “defect free,” but then again neither is Windows XP nor any other major DOS or Windows application with which I am familiar.  Ghost 2003, for example, has several “known problems” documented in the Symantec Knowledge Base.  The good news, however, is that Symantec releases new versions and updates to correct problems with Ghost 9.0/10.0, whereas such is no longer true for Ghost 2003, unfortunately.

IP Logged

Elec_Tech

Reply #33 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 8:35pm

Hello,

am I missing something ?

I have ghost 2003 and it works great.  So great I didn't even know there was a ghost 10 let alone Version 9.

My question is that I see no mention of ghosting remotely in ghost 10.  Can this be done ?

In 2003 I am able to add remote clients, take an image, and recover an image to 20 computers at the same time all at my desktop remotely.  Can this be done with these new "ghosts" ?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #34 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:13am

Elec_Tech, the answer to your question is "yes."  However, you will need the 'corporate' version of Ghost 10 which is called "LiveState Recovery."  See the Symantec website for additional information:
   http://sea.symantec.com/content/product.cfm?productid=32

IP Logged

Elec_Tech

Reply #35 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:28am

Thanks Pleonasm,

I do have Corporate 2003 as I work for a University.

Confusing how the name changes.

Now the question is whish "live state recovery" do I need as there are about 8 of them.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #36 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:06pm

Symantec says:
  • "If you would like to place an order over the phone, or if you need presales support, please call 888-810-9896 and press option number 3."

I suspect that doing so would help to resolve which configurations of products are the best fit for your needs.

Please post a reply as your journey continues . . . .

IP Logged

Dave Ascher

Reply #37 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 12:02pm

"If you would like to place an order over the phone, or if you need presales support, please call 888-810-9896 and press option number 3."
I suspect that doing so would help to resolve which configurations of products are the best fit for your needs.

I'm a totally frustrated purchaser of Ghost 9. I've been wasting my time with Norton/Symantec support via chat, email, and phone, for over 2 weeks since I got the product and have been unable to make a successful backup (the dreaded invalid PQI file error). Their suggestions have been generally ridiculous for a program that is running under XP and using .NET. There is the implication that the product doesn't actually USE any of the capabilities that XP provides for managing files!! Maybe they just wanted to use .NET for the cool GUI? 

I finally decided to look into the recently released Ghost 10 to see if they might have addressed the issues I have been having.  So I called the number above and pressed option 3 to get some pre-sales support - except the phone menu says it is for "technical assistance with your installed product, virus removal, or assistance with your rebate"!!  after some effort I was told by somebody somewhere at Norton Support (800)745.6052 that the bad PQI file error is now gone in Ghost 10. Or at least that they have no reports of it with Ghost 10.

Yet. 

I am going to buy Ghost 10 and see what happens.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #38 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 12:12pm

Dave Ascher

If Symantec has *fixed* the problem in Ghost 10.x, that suggests they figured out what the problem is (was?), so why can't they resolve the issue in Ghost 9.x with appropriate *Live Updates* or a FAQ Knowlege based solution?

Just seems strange....

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

rickhd
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 10:32am

Just purchased Norton Ghost 10

Two Issues

Activation does not work, keyboard beeps when I attempt to enter some of the letters in the activation code, can not enter them.   Length of provided activation code does not match activation box.

Recovery CD when booted results in BSOD.

Gone back to 9.0, it works and is stable.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #40 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 11:17am

rickhd

Quote:
Activation does not work, keyboard beeps when I attempt to enter some of the letters in the activation code, can not enter them.   Length of provided activation code does not match activation box.

Yikes!

Quote:
Recovery CD when booted results in BSOD.

Ouch!

But Ghost 9.x works okay on the system!?  That's strange!

IP Logged

twodaend

Reply #41 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 12:03pm

I have been using ghost 2003 for a while and I think it's great.  However, trying to backup over the network is a pain and almost impossible.  I can't get it to work.

I was thinking of going over to ver 9 or ver 10, but was wondering why do they include ver. 2003 in the box also.  Ghost 2003 makes image files as *.gho or  *.ghs and ghost 9 & 10 makes image files as *.v2i or *.s##.  2003 cannot read ver 9 & 10 files and vise versa.  So it seems to me that either you work with 2003 or 9 & 10, but not both.

Is there some sort of workaround that if you have 2003 images and want to upgrade to ver 9 or 10 to still be able to use your images?  I have a base image (*.gho) with the basic install plus a few essential apps, that if all else fails and I want a clean install I can go back to it.  If I move over to ver 9 or 10, my *.gho file will be useless or I would have to use two apps, 2003 for my older *.gho files and and ver 9 or 10 for moving forward with my new image files.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #42 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 12:46pm

twodaend

Ghost 2003 is included with Ghost 9 and 10 because there are still a fair number of folks using pre-WinXP OS's (and WinNT versions), and Ghost 9 and above require WinXP or other WinNT versions to work.  The install program looks at the OS you are installing Ghost onto, if it's WinXP or other NT version, you get Ghost 9 or 10.  If it's WinME, 98, (95-?)--then you get Ghost 2003.

(Edit by NightOwl--most likely what I said above applies to Ghost 2003 or Ghost 9.x or 10.x if on Norton SystemWorks Premire--Ghost 9.x or 10.x stand-alone, I think, usually has two separate CD's--one is Ghost 2003, and the other is Ghost 9.x or 10.x as the case may be.)

The Ghost 9 and above comes with a *crippled* version of Ghost 8.x (the corporate cousin of Ghost 2003) on the Recovery Disk.  It will read *legacy* Ghost images such as from Ghost 2003 and restore them.  By *crippled*, I mean it will not allow you to create an image file--only do an integrity check and a restore.

IP Logged

Belayman
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AL

Reply #43 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:51pm

Hey guys... complete newb here...

I'm a new owner of ATI 9.0, and it really sucks...

I've been waiting for Ghost 10 to come out, but I'm not sure that it's exactly what I want either.  After reading a few things on this forum and on the Rad-pages, I'm thinking that Ghost 2003 is what I need (but, since 2003 comes with 10, I might just get 10 anyway).

What I want:

(1)  Native DVD support (DL would be great) for system restore (C drive).  I want to image my "fresh" install of XP (with programs) onto a DVD and then boot & restore from it when I need to.

(2) Regular, (incremental) backups of data drive (RAID 10 array).  I'd like to image the entire drive and/or certain parts to local Firewire drive and to networked drives. 

(3)  Most important - Reliability.

It sounds simple, but I've been amazed at how difficult it is to find a program that will accomplish the above tasks.

So, should I get Ghost 10?  After the person who posted about their experiences with Ghost 10, I'm beginning to wonder.

Questions... Is Ghost 2003 a completely seperate CD, or "part" of Ghost 10?  can I just install Ghost 2003 if I buy Ghost 10? Is "authentication" required for Ghost 2003?   (CompUSA has rebates right now, so Ghost 10's price isn't that bad.)

Thanks a ton for the help... and thank you very much for the articles and this forum - it's a huge help.

IP Logged

Rock

Reply #44 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 3:21am

Why do you say ATI sucks?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print