Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Symantec Norton Ghost 10 (Read 195821 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Symantec Norton Ghost 10
Reply #45 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 4:07am

I like ATI but many people don't, particularly ver 9. Have a look at the ATI Forum.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

IP Logged

Belayman
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AL

Reply #46 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 9:48am

ATI 9.0 is my first experience with True Image.  I'd heard great things about ATI 7 and 8.

So far... I'll create images, verify them with the software, and everything seems fine... When I try to restore from that image, the software says that the image is corrupted.  This happens every time... I've read every single thread in that forum and done everything that the Tech Support says to do... but, still - corrupted.

Apparently, the images are not corrupted, it's just a bug in the software - that is sitll not fixed.

I don't have the time to spend hours and hours (even days and days) trying to get a program to work as it should.

Furthermore, they advertise "DVD Support"... but, there isn't really DVD support - the Support says that it will be added later.

So, yeah, I'm very disappointed.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #47 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 10:45am

Belayman

1.  Rad built a system for friends and used Ghost 2003 with a dual layer DVD writer to create a Ghost image--apparently without problems.  But compatibility with newer optical drives is an issue being as Ghost 2003 is no longer supported with updates.

Rad usually uses Plextor optical drives--the more main-stream the drive maker, the better chance of compatibility.

2.  Ghost 2003 will not support *incremental* backups--or backing up only *certain parts* of a drive.  The smallest unit to back up is a partition.

3.  Very reliable--assuming all components are compatible.

Quote:
Questions... Is Ghost 2003 a completely seperate CD, or "part" of Ghost 10?  can I just install Ghost 2003 if I buy Ghost 10? Is "authentication" required for Ghost 2003?

Ghost stand-alone product--probably separate CD--it was that way with Ghost 9.x--but things *change*  Wink !

If a separate CD, you should be able to install just Ghost 2003.  If it's been integrated onto a single CD with Ghost 10, there may be some *trick* as to how to go about installing one or the other.  Should be *documentation* somewhere--but we're talking *Symantec Support* here  Wink !

No *authentication* is used with Ghost 2003.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Belayman
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AL

Reply #48 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:19am

Thanks for the reply NightOwl...

That's good about Plextor - I always use Plextor in my systems... to me, Plextor is King, and worth the slight increase in price.

Incremental images would be nice, but reliability is most important to me, so I'll give it a try.

I guess I'll head out today and get Ghost 10 - with the rebates (even though they take a few months to get back), Ghost 10 is not really that expensive right now... and I can afford it, even for just experimentation.

Thanks a bunch for the help... And again, I really appreciate this board, and all the Rad-Guides and such... they've been a huge help.

IP Logged

tumbler
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #49 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 1:38pm

just purchased the download.

It's okay.. made for backups. No way of creating "bootable floppies" as I do not see under options the ghost boot disk wizard anywhere.

but they did include an .ISO file which i assume can be a bootable CD-R ?

going to try it tonight

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #50 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:48pm

Here's the info on Ghost 2003 supporting dual-layer DVDs:

http://radified.com/blog/archives/000185.html

I admit I was surprised, since dual-layer is (was) so new.

IP Logged

Belayman
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AL

Reply #51 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 9:36pm

The retail boxed version of Ghost 10 does come with Ghost 2003 on a totally seperate CD... on its own CD.

I don't know if I'll have time to play with Ghost before next week though.    Sad

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #52 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:35pm

For those who have just bought Ghost 10 and want to do their first backup, this is what I suggest.

Start Ghost 10
click Back Up Now
click Define New Backup
In the Easy Setup Window put a dot in Define a new custom backup. OK
click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the drive to backup. Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
choose the location for the backup image. Next
Compression Standard (recommended). Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ... Ignore Advanced if you don't need to split the image. Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish
Performance slider to Fast

Now you can start learning to do Scheduled backups at your leisure.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #53 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:57pm

Rickhd, I am clueless as to why you are unable to activate your copy of Ghost 10.0 and why booting from your Recovery CD results in the ‘blue-screen-of-death.’  Obviously, this is a problem unique to your PC and/or its configuration (otherwise, the reports of such difficulty with these elementary tasks would be posted widely).

May I ask:  from where did you purchase your copy of Ghost 10.0?  Counterfeit copies of Symantec software have been known to be circulating (http://www.symantec.com/press/2005/n050928.html), and if your copy is not legitimate, that might cause an activation problem.

IP Logged

rickhd
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 8:28pm

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:57pm:
Rickhd, I am clueless as to why you are unable to activate your copy of Ghost 10.0 and why booting from your Recovery CD results in the ‘blue-screen-of-death.’  Obviously, this is a problem unique to your PC and/or its configuration (otherwise, the reports of such difficulty with these elementary tasks would be posted widely).

May I ask:  from where did you purchase your copy of Ghost 10.0?  Counterfeit copies of Symantec software have been known to be circulating (http://www.symantec.com/press/2005/n050928.html), and if your copy is not legitimate, that might cause an activation problem.

I purchased and downloaded directly from Symantec.

The Keyboard issue is very strange I have never see anything like it before, may be a issue with the activation and my USB Keyboard.  When I go to enter some of the activation code it does not enter  I just get a beep.   I have to try a standard PS/2 Keyboard to see if that is the issue.   

As for the BSOD issue on the Recovery disk, I thought it may have been a bad burn.   Burned another disk and the same issue.  I think it said Machine Exception Error. 

IP Logged

Ray1979

Reply #55 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 10:36am

Hi,

Does anyone know if the new version supports hardware Raid 1 for cloning??

Thanks

Ray

IP Logged

jluv
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:59pm

I am trying to setup ghost 10 to backup to a home network drive.  The drive is mapped, all sharing capabilities functioning....  Ghost 10 setup, however, wants "network credentials" to access this drive.  I do password protect my computers for each admin user but those "usernames and passwords" dont satisfy Ghost 10.  How do I bypass the programs need for "network credentials"?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #57 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 1:53pm

Ray1979, I recommend that you start a new thread (“Ghost 10:  RAID”) on this forum about the supported RAID levels for Ghost 10.0, so that your question receives attention.

Have you contacted Symantec Live Technical Support (http://live-symantec.custhelp.com)?

For Ghost 9.0, the supported RAID levels are 0 and 5 (see Symantec Knowledge Base Document ID 2004024963607262).

Please post what you learn.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #58 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 1:59pm

Jluv, you may wish to review the thread “Using Ghost 9 over a network” on this forum at http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11207...; I recommend that you add your question to that thread, so that it receives attention from the forum community.

Please post what you discover.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #59 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 2:08pm

Rrickhd, as a troubleshooting test, you may wish to try creating and booting with a BartPE CD (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/). ; If the BSOD problem persists, then the issue would appear to be unrelated to Ghost 10.0 per se (since both use the Windows Preinstallation Environment).

I also recommend that you start a new thread ("Ghost 10:  Boot CD") to ensure that your issue receives attention from the forum community.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print