Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Symantec Norton Ghost 10 (Read 195800 times)
Pleonasm

Re: Symantec Norton Ghost 10
Reply #60 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 2:31pm

Rrickhd, also see the thread “Ghost 10 Rescue Disc causes reboot” (http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11282...) on this forum.  Note that the problem was solved by changing BIOS settings.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #61 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 4:52am

Brief instructions on setting up a Scheduled backup.

Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
select the drive to backup, Next
choose Recovery point set (recommended), Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Choose your Limit..., ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Scheduled, click Define Custom Schedule
Scheduling tab,Top part is for the days and the time that Incremental recovery points will be created
Untick "Create more than one recovery point per day" if you only need one , otherwise choose the number of incremental recovery points
Choose frequency of Base recovery points at the bottom, eg weekly, monthly, etc
Click "Event trigger" tab, Choose any of the four, OK, Next
Tick "Create recovery point now" if you want it done before the scheduled time, Finish
Performance slider to Fast if you desire

IP Logged

eddieduce
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 6:07pm

I have an image I made on Ghost 2003 with a password I no longer remember!  Can anybody help?

IP Logged

Spanky

Reply #63 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 6:22pm

Post your question in a new thread of its own.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #64 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 2:12pm

...And the first review of Ghost 10.0 has appeared:  see PC World's article "True Image 9 Edges Past Norton Ghost 10" at http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,123202,00.asp.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #65 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 5:14pm

Pleo,

How do you find these comparisons so quickly?

We have had a few complaints about Ghost 10 here but there are pages of complaints about Acronis TI 9 on the TI forum. From a stability aspect it's the worst version Acronis has released. There is a software update every week or so which fixes some problems and introduces others. On the other hand, people without a problem generally don't write to the forums.

The TI forum reminds me of the Walt Disney lemming movie. But I'm assured lemmings don't jump off cliffs.

I haven't seen TI 9 in action but I liked previous versions.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #66 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:25pm

Hey, Brian, I didn’t say that I agreed with the review – only documented its existence.  Although I have never personally used True Image 9, I am amazed by the breadth and depth of customer complaints about this application, as you note.

The PC Magazine review, in my opinion, is shallow in so far as it only demonstrates that that the two products differ in the set of features provided.  This will, of course, be an accurate assessment for the comparison of any two products in the same domain.  The more important questions – not addressed in the review – are about delivering reliability (backup/restore), achieving stability (operating consistency) and minimizing resource consumption (performance/speed).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #67 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:31pm

I know you didn't agree with the review Pleo. And I'd agree that these superficial reviews don't mean much anyway.

IP Logged

Fred892
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 11:26pm

Does anyone know if Ghost 10 supports Dual Layer DVD. Possibly with use of something called a UDF packet? A support person at Acronis said that True Image 9 supports Dual layer DVD, but it requires pre-formatting the DVD with the UDF packet. How does this work?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #69 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 12:51am

Fred892,

I can't find an answer about dual layer DVD support.

Acronis TI requires you to buy extra software to write images direct to CD/DVD. Ghost 9 and 10 contain Gear software which writes variable length UDF packets to CD/DVD. Discs don't have to be pre-formatted.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004030176699562

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #70 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 3:18pm

Fred892, see the thread "Norton Ghost 10.0 & Dual-layer DVD Support" on this forum at http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11284....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #71 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 4:56pm

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=104711

An amusing followup on the TI 9/Ghost 10 review. It seems the author didn't even use TI 9.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #72 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 5:35pm

Good grief!  A review that compares True Image 9 with Ghost 10 by an author who has never used the former and yet expresses his preference for it!

Could it be that the quality of the review of a product in PC World is related to the number of advertising dollars spent by the software manufacturer in the magazine?

IP Logged

Harold V Cole

Reply #73 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 8:31pm

Brian wrote on Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:35pm:
For those who have just bought Ghost 10 and want to do their first backup, this is what I suggest.

Start Ghost 10
click Back Up Now
click Define New Backup
In the Easy Setup Window put a dot in Define a new custom backup. OK
click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the drive to backup. Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
choose the location for the backup image. Next
Compression Standard (recommended). Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ... Ignore Advanced if you don't need to split the image. Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish
Performance slider to Fast

Now you can start learning to do Scheduled backups at your leisure.

Brian.......
You are a real gem for this info. I had spent about 6-7 hours trying to find out the error codes I was getting and then I happened on this web site and bingo your suggestion worked perfect. Backed up everything(not getting into image or clone or that stuff) in 3hours 15min to DVD-RW.  Don't have an external hard drive yet but was reading another post and I am going to get an enclosure and stick one of my spare drives into it if that is all it takes.

Thanks and my wife thanks you many times over.
harold

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #74 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 9:25pm

Harold V Cole,

I'm pleased that it helped. I have a few more mini guides.

Quote:
SCHEDULE RECOVERY POINTS

Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
In the Easy Setup put a dot in Define a new custom backup, OK
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Choose your Limit...(I leave unticked), ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Scheduled, click Define Custom Schedule
Scheduling tab,Top part is for the days and the time that recovery points (Base and Incremental) will be created. I tick all days.
Untick "Create more than one recovery point per day" if you only need one , otherwise choose the number of incremental recovery points
Choose frequency of Base recovery points at the bottom, eg weekly, monthly, etc    I choose weekly
Click "Event trigger" tab, Choose any of the four or leave unticked, (I leave unticked) OK, Next
Tick "Create recovery point now" if you want it done before the scheduled time, Finish

Quote:

MANUAL RECOVERY POINTS

Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
In the Easy Setup put a dot in Define a new custom backup, OK
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Untick Limit the number..., ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Manually (no schedule), Next
Tick in Create recovery point now, Finish

Later, start Ghost 10, click Back Up Now, then click the Back Up Now button at the bottom of the window and it should start an incremental point.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print