Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ghosst 2003 (Read 15792 times)
Jerry Cothran

ghosst 2003
Aug 27th, 2005 at 12:45pm

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion computer. I tried to clone the hard drive with ghost 2003 but in the process the computer locked up and I got an error message "Internal Stack overllow system halted.. I talked to HP support but they told me that ghost 2003 was not compitable with this computer and I had to use a recovery disk to get the computer back in operation. I can't believe that this system is not compatible with ghost 2003 (I have used it on an older computer with xp pro and it worked ok), but since I don't know just what the error message ment, I am afraid to try it again. Can someone advise me as to what this error message ment and how to get around it?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: ghosst 2003
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 1:15pm

Jerry Cothran

Quote:
I tried to clone the hard drive with ghost 2003

That phrase can mean a number of different things--what exactly were you doing (i.e. what procedure were you doing), using DOS or the Windows interface of Ghost2003, source and destination of the cloning, how many partitions, etc.?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Jerry Cothran

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 2:39pm

I was using the ghost program I had installed on the C drive. I was going to clone the C drive to an external hard drive so I was going disk to disk. When doing this it automatically goes to DOS or that is how it appears to me.  I could probably  work from the ghost program disk but I am worried about this internal stack overflow stuff. I don't want to reinstall a bunch of programs if I can help it.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 3:01pm

Quote:
"... I was going to clone the C drive to an external hard drive so I was going disk to disk..."

Two questions: (1) a "purpose-built" external HDD or an external enclosure kit with an internal HDD mounted aftermarket; and (2) how connected - USB 2.0, FireWire, SATA, et cetera?

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 3:06pm

Jerry Cothran

Quote:
I was going to clone the C drive to an external hard drive

Enclosure kit so HDD is removeable?

USB or Firewire?

Did WinXP see the external HDD before you started the operation?  (Shouldn't be a problem if you do a disk-to-disk clone as far as drive letter assignments--but make sure you do not re-boot to WinXP at the end of cloning until after you have shut down and disconnected the cloned external HDD--see *Pesky's Trick*.

Using the Windows Ghost interface forces the use of a *virtual partition*--and not all systems function properly with that.  Using the DOS Ghost version often solves that issue.

Not all enclosure/external USB setups are supported by Ghost's built in USB drivers--may have to try the Panasonic DOS USB drivers:

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Jerry Cothran

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 3:41pm

I am using an external Iomega usb 2.0 hard drive as the to disk. I have cloned my c drive on my old computer to this hard drive on a couple of occassions so I know it works. I guess I will just try again-booting from the ghost program disk and see how that works (or not). The problem has only been with this new computer and that just the one time.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 4:27pm

NightOwl wrote on Aug 27th, 2005 at 3:06pm:
"... Shouldn't be a problem if you do a disk-to-disk clone as far as drive letter assignments--but make sure you do not re-boot to WinXP at the end of cloning until after you have shut down and disconnected the cloned external HDD--see *Pesky's Trick*...

CLICK HERE to view
*Pesky's Trick*
- and while you are over there be sure to vote in the poll right above it ... LOL !!!

BTW, this afternoon I intend to clone the MASTER 160 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ HDD on my Dell Dimension 8300 to a 160 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 IDE HDD mounted in a Metal Gear Box combo USB 2.0/SATA external enclosure kit via USB 2.0 - and you can bet I will be using my eponymous "trick".  Before I remove the non-bootable removable media to reboot in XP Pro, I will turn off the power to the Metal Gear Box.

Then, after I reboot I will restore power so that I can go into Partition Magic 8.0 to delete the 31MB Dell Utility partition on the cloned external HDD.  Next, I will reformat the bootable primary active partition formerly assigned the drive letter C: and then convert it to a logical drive to wind up with a 160GB extended partition with two NTFS logical drives plus a single FAT32 logical drive.  Ghost 2003 is friendly with the Metal Gear Box in USB mode but is very tricky with SATA because the IDE-to-SATA bridge causes CRC32 errors during Restores and Integrity Checks.  

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 4:39pm

Jerry Cothran

If the external HDD is not a *enclosure* kit that allows removal of the HDD and then placement in the computer system as an *internal* HDD, then *cloning* is not the best backup option--using a backup to *image* file would be the better way to do things.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 5:08pm

Quote:
"... I am using an external Iomega usb 2.0 hard drive as the to disk..."

I am not real keen in the least with the notion of performing a Ghost 2003 "disk-to-disk" Clone on a sealed "purpose-built" USB external drive, and most particularly an Iomega product.  To my detriment, I learned in due time that my Iomega External 80GB HDD was preformatted as a single active primary FAT32 partition of a non-standard character.  Too late to do any good, I read the PDF users manual to see the advice against any partitioning of my device.  Later on, I learned that Windows XP systems will not generate FAT32 file system format volumes much over 32-to-35GB (CLICK HERE to view a thread on my Iomega travails).

One offhand possibility that does occur to me with this issue is a hidden utitlity partition being included during a Clone that could cause the Iomega HDD to go awry.  If that or any other weirdness were the case - and the Clone process achieved a certain degree of completion - the Iomega's ability to function with the stock USB 2.0 Norton/Iomega drivers could be irretrievably altered with some Intel USB 2.0 host controllers.  Nothing short of a "low-level format" and reinitialization will rectify the situation - or an adaptation of NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine, come to think of it.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Jerry Cothran

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 11:45am

I noticed that Iomega now has a download of a program for back up AND system recovery for their desktop external hard drives.  Do you know anything about it. Will this do much the same as ghost clone? I thought I would try it and see what comes out.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 12:26pm

Quote:
"... I noticed that Iomega now has a download of a program for back up AND system recovery for their desktop external hard drives.  Do you know anything about it. Will this do much the same as ghost clone? I thought I would try it and see what comes out..."

My confidence in Norton Ghost 2003 - based on real-life experience and not just testing - is so high that I would not be vaguely interested in the Iomega backup software that did come with my 80GB HDD.

Got to go, Katrina has me in her crosshairs.  She looks to be either the Perfect Storm or the Storm of the Century - nay, Storm of the Millenium - for those poor folks living down in the 'bowl-below-sealevel called the  Big Easy'.  They will be at DefCon 1 by nightfall.

EP

IP Logged

Jerry Cothran

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 2:53pm

I tried to do  a clone with ghost 2003 from the program disk. After getting to pc dos it gave me a choice of the following:
proceed without loading any drivers
load cd-rom drivers
load usb 1.1 drivers
load usb 2.0 driivers

I tried them all with out good results. The first just gave me the A prompt. since I didn't know how to proceed from there, I reloaded and tried the "load cd-rom drivers"
This also failed but gave me the following two entries: 1. "Unable to find any AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX ASPI8dos. sys instalation failed.
2. "adaptec ASPI Device Driver not available  CD-ROM driver not loaded: no valid adaptec host adapter

I then tried the "Load usb 2.0 drivers. This took me to the initial page of the ghost program but would not proceed from there.

When i did clones on my old compaq with usb 1.1, i simply selected the "load usb 1.1 drivers" and everything went fine from there.  I am beginning to think that there is something with this new HP pavillion computer that is not quite right.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 5:58pm

Jerry Cothran

Probably Ghost's built-in USB drivers are not compatible with the HP's USB controller.

Might try this option mentioned before:

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

IP Logged

GeraldW. Cothran

Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 3:13pm

What can you tell me about Acronis True Image?  And El_PRESCADOR did you survive Katrina?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 4:41pm

I mention TI here:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1a.htm

.. about halfway down the page .. along with other alternatives to Ghost.

I've never used it personally, but I have friends who use it and like it.

Any imaging prgm is better than no imaging prgm.

El Pecador has survived. He can be found here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Extra_Rad_Forum;action=display;n...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print