Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FeedBack to "RADIFIED Guide to eBay" (Read 4809 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

FeedBack to "RADIFIED Guide to eBay"
Sep 13th, 2005 at 9:16am

I read the guide as a novice eBay user. I bought a few out-of-production PDAs and haven't bought anything since then.

You mentioned that bids escalate towards the end of the bidding but I saw no mention of the "incremental bidding procedure". I lost my first auction and when the "final high" was lower than my limit, I thought to myself, "you dumbass".

If I remember correctly, incremental bidding is when a bid is increased in increments of e.g. $1. If the current high is $20 and You bid $40, the high will be increased to $21. If someone else bids $22, Your bid will automatically be raised to $23 and so on up to Your limit of $40.

The next auction, during the last minute, I increased my bid to my limit. I don't remember exactly but I think the current high was ~$50 and I my bid was $150.

I watched the bid-race and was satisfied to have won at ~$125.

Other auctions were taken above my limit long before the last minute and I didn't even bother.

My personal recommendation, based on participation in five auctions but watching a few more is to;

- decide on Your limit and stick to Your decision,
- follow the auction and if it still is below Your limit, make a last minute bid (as late as possible) up to Your limit,
- if the two above are adhered to, You should not get drawn in to a bid-race, risking to pay more than You really want to.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: FeedBack to "RADIFIED Guide to eBay"
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 4:03pm

I will fwd link to his email.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 5:41pm

I also found the eBay Guide interesting reading, and look forward to the additional pages still to come.  (I'm also a relative neophyte on eBay--I've made a couple dozen purchases over the last 5 years.)

Christer, the "incremental bidding procedure" you describe is what eBay calls "proxy bidding".  It's an important concept and I hope "Wizard" will cover it in his still-unfinished "Odds & Sods" section.

Proxy bidding works basically like you describe.  I'd further point out that if you and another bidder set identical limits ($40, in your example), the one who placed a bid earliest wins.  Not the one who placed a $40 bid first, but the one who placed a bid *of any amount*.  I think that's why you see so many items with 1-cent bids as soon as they hit the auction--some bidder is just reserving his place as first bidder, in case he wants to use it later.

The way around this "earliest bid" issue is to set your limit at an off number--say, $40.01.  When the proxy bidding jumps both of you to your limits, your $40.01 trumps his $40.00, even though the difference is less than the increments specified for the auction!  That's why you see a lot of items with odd high-bids, that you wouldn't think possible with $1 or $5 minimum increments.  (Of course, the other bidder may be thinking the same thing, and set his limit at $40.10 or $40.07, so there's a bit of poker-playing there.)

Anyway, I look forward to upcoming pages of his Guide.  Since Wizard is also a seller, I am especially interested in what he has to say about sniping, a buyer's technique I have used successfully.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 5:53pm

As a "five auctions veteran" ...... Shocked ...... I too look forward to more chapters.

However, winning an auction at U.S. eBay is only the final step for me as a swede. Most sellers only ship within the U.S. and occasionally the Canadians get lucky. I had to bribe an american friend to accept delivery of the PDAs and when all of them had been purchased, she shipped them to me in Sweden.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Wizard Prang
N00b

A Brit in Louisville, KY

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 6:47pm

Gentlemen... I am gratified and moved that you liked the guide, such as it is.

Dan, your suspicions are confirmed... I had put in some information about proxy bidding as part of the "Sniping" section (yes, there is one!). However, having seen the comments I will probably break that part out and drop it in near the bottom of the bidding page, since it really belongs there.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your comments. Keep 'em coming...

PRANG

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?
IP Logged

Wizard Prang
N00b

A Brit in Louisville, KY

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 12:36pm

Ladies, Gentlemen and Small Furry Creatures from Alpha Centauri,

Just to let you know that I have updated the eBay guide...

Minor changes to all pages.
Buying Guide - Added section on Proxy Bidding
New page "The Black Art of Sniping"
I have also resequenced (moving "MegaSellers" to the end) and renumbered the pages.

More to come...

PRANG!

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print