Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 - 'Invalid Partition Offset-40207' (Read 21619 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost 2003 - 'Invalid Partition Offset-40207'
Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 2:04am

Stephen Diebel

Quote:
Why does the C: drive not show up as C: on the FDISK partition information screen?  The C: drive does not show up when I am working in DOS and try to do a directory list on it.

In your first post to the thread you said:

Quote:
The 60GB disk contains the primary C: drive which is the only partition on that disk and it is formatted as a NFTS partition.

NTFS partitions are not given a drive letter in DOS because DOS is not compatible with NTFS partitions--that's why you can not do a *directory listing*.

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions on preparing and partitioning the new 120GB Maxtor drive before I attempt to restore the last Ghost 2003 image to it?

You do not have to *format* your partitions if you are restoring an image file--Ghost will create the format that the image file was taken from.

Because you are going from a smaller to larger HDD, you should try *Image-to-Disk*--Ghost will indicate that it will fill the whole HDD, but you should be given an option to resize the partition before the final restore operation.  Shrink the size to whatever size you wanted the first partition to be.  The remaining space should be *unallocated* free space.  Once you have your system up and running, use WinXP's Disk Management to create the second partition.

Do not reboot your system with both the new HDD with the restored OS, and the old OS HDD still hooked up.  Remove the old HDD and put the new HDD in its place before restoring the image to the new HDD--if both are present after the image restore and you boot to WinXP--there could be conflicts with the drive letter assignments--often leads to boot issues.

Once you have booted to the new HDD successfully, you should be able to put the old HDD in a *slave* position and change it to whatever use you intended.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #16 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 4:00am

NightOwl has given you good information, so I only have minor points to add.

"Why does the C: drive not show up as C: on the FDISK partition information screen?  The C: drive does not show up when I am working in DOS and try to do a directory list on it."

Implicit in NightOwl's explanation is the point that partitions do not have drive letters permanently affixed to them.  It is the operating system that assigns at boot time whatever drive letters it will be using during that session.

This nuance is often misunderstood by users.  There is no "C:" stamped anywhere on a disk partition as some kind of universal identifer.  When XP boots it assigns the letter C: to some particular partition; when DOS boots it assigns C: to some partition . . . and these may or may not be the same partition.  (Fortunately, a given OS usually assigns things the same way on subsequent reboots, or things would get really confusing.)

This distinction is important to understand.  Referring to your partitions by drive letters (as you've done earlier in this thread when calling your Disk-2 partitions D: and G:) is bound to confuse you or us eventually.  Letters are valid only when a given operating system is booted.  XP may call them D: and G:, but when DOS is booted those partitions will probably be designated C: and D:.

When DOS boots it won't give a drive letter to any partition that doesn't have a file system it understands.  Since NTFS file systems are foreign to DOS, the XP partition on Disk-1 won't get a drive letter.

"I was not aware that you can copy Ghost images & extensions to other storage devices as you can with other files but from your message it sounds like that is the case."

Yes.  Images are files, just like any other files (though bigger).  You can put them anywhere you can put files.

IP Logged

Stephen Diebel

Reply #17 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 7:59pm

Dan & Nightowl,

It appears that the 'Invalid Partition Offset' problem has finally been fixed through the process of installing a new 120GB Maxtor hard drive and making it the boot drive.  The hard drive partitioning and data copying tool (Maxblast 4) that came with the new drive works quite well.  Using the Maxblast 4 tool I partitioned and formatted the new drive into a 40GB and a 70GB partition leaving 10GB of free space.  I was then able to copy the operating system, applications and data from the old C: drive, the 'invalid partition offset' drive, into the 40GB partition on the new drive whereupon the new drive become the boot drive.  I then ran FINDPART against the new boot drive C: partition and the partition no longer appears to have any problems.  Now I get to try Ghost 2003 again and trust that my problems are over.  We'll see.

Thanks for all the help from both of you.

Steve

IP Logged

Stephen Diebel

Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 6:08pm

Nightowl & Dan Goodell,

It has been awhile and I just wanted to tell both of you that my image creation problems with Ghost 2003 have been resolved.  I can now very rapidly create backup images from a the primary partition (C:) on a  new Maxtor 120GB drive to a 2nd WD 60GB drive (previously the primary boot drive).  No more 'Invalid Partition Offset' errors.  Additionally, I finally determined the Samsung CD-RW (24 x 10 x 40) drive either had a hardware problem or it just could not handle 'data overrun', I guess that is what it is called.  I installed a Lite-On 52246s CD-RW (52 x 24 x 52) drive I had in another computer and now everything works great. 

Thanks again for your help!

Stephen Diebel

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #19 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 3:37am

Stephen Diebel

Thanks for the follow-up--glad to hear things have worked out  Wink !

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print