Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is the air flow 'optimum' in your computer case? (Read 10004 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Is the air flow 'optimum' in your computer case?
Nov 16th, 2005 at 8:44am

Hello all!

When a 160 GB Seagate 7200.7+ PATA was given to me as a gift, I started testing it in the mobile rack. The temperature according to Everest Home Edition was considerably hotter than a 120 GB Hitachi 7K250 PATA. This triggered a discussion over at StorageReview.

To make a long story short, my computer case (SuperPower Zephyr KS-201) is 4½ years old and by no means state of the art. It had the standard single case fan, front-intake, which was located at the bottom, blowing at nothing. An additional rear-exhaust fan was optional but there was only the standard fan in my KS-201. The temperatures below refer to two identical 120 GB Hitachi 7K250 PATA, #1 fixed and #2 in the mobile rack. The computer was started cold and measurements taken after 2-3 hours (temperatures stabilized) of very light load:

Quote:
Room temperature = 21-22°C
On top of computer case = 22-23°C
MB = 32°C
CPU = 44°C
HDD1 = 41-42°C
HDD2 = 42-43°C

When the Seagate substituted the Hitachi in the mobile rack, it was running at 48-49°C.

The discussion prompted me to move the fan from the front-intake position to the rear-exhaust position and the reduction in temperatures was amazing:

Quote:
Room temperature = 22-23°C
On top of computer case = 23-24°C
MB = 30°C
CPU = 42°C
HDD1 = 35-36°C
HDD2 = 33-34°C

When the Seagate substituted the Hitachi in the mobile rack, it was running at 37-38°C.

NDT (Net Drive Temperature = measured temperature - ambient temperature) has been lowered by 12°C for the Seagate compared to a 10°C reduction for the Hitachi. The fixed drive shows the least reduction in NDT, 7°C.

It seems like having a look inside your computer case is a good idea. If there only is a front-intake fan at the bottom, then it is probably only drawing dust into the case. Well, hopefully it is increasing general air circulation but not much more.

Moving the fan to the rear-exhaust position will draw fresh air through the front, cooling the drives. The CPU fan will also exhaust into this air flow and CPU/MB temperatures will also benefit, albeit to a lesser extent.

More modern computer cases have a standard rear-exhaust fan and an additional front-intake fan is optional. Some have both fans as standard. (The front-intake fan is located in front of the 3.5" drive bays to direct the air flow over the drives.) This makes it less of an issue in more recent computer cases.

I wonder ...... ??? ...... what the designer of the KS-201 was thinking. Why not ship it with a standard rear-exhaust fan and an additional front-intake fan as an option. (I actually believe that fans in both positions would make the situation worse for the drives, compared to a single rear-exhaust fan.)

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Is the air flow 'optimum' in your computer cas
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 11:09am

Christer

Interesting discussion--I have to admit I haven't spent a lot of mental effort thinking about HDD temperatures.

How exactly are you making the temperature measurements?  I have on occasion used a *motherboard monitor* program to look at the temperature of the the CPU, the *case* temperature, and the *motherboard* temperature--I don't have a clue as to where the temperature detecting devices are located for those last two--but did see the probe for the CPU when I mounted it.

Are there temperature measuring probes inside HDD's and software to *monitor* it?

I thought the power supply's fan(s) were acting as the *exhaust* of the warm air in the case.  It's usually located on top (where hot air rises to) and it blows outward in the rear.

I actually made a mod to my case--I cut a hole with a jig saw's metal blade in the cover, mounted a fan, and it blows ambient air directly onto the motherboard.  That dropped the temperature of the motherboard and CPU by several degrees--and dust does not build up on the motherboard any more  Cheesy !

But, I suspect I have *reduced* the air flow being drawn in from the front side--now that I've read your post--and I suspect the HDD's are not too happy with me  Sad !

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 4:18pm

Hi NightOwl!

I use Everest Home Edition which is a 'slimmed' freeware version. To the best of my knowledge, it is accurate and gets the data from the S.M.A.R.T.

The probe that supplies the data from the HDD is located internally, close to the actuator arms (or whatever they are called).

The probe for the MB and CPU is probably on-chip but some utilize a probe between the CPU and the heat sink.

The ideal situation is to have a line of air flow from the front (inlet) to the rear (exhaust). The fan in the power supply is what cheaper cases rely on for exhaust but for higher performance computers, it is not enough.

If a fan is fitted to the side panel, directed onto the CPU, it should be ducted. Otherwise the two air flows will interact and produce more turbulence than cooling. In my case, the improved air flow reduced the Net Temperature of the MB and CPU by 3°C and the HDDs by 8°C (average).

I just moved the fan but even if you have to buy a new fan it is a purchase with a high cost/benefit ratio.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 11:18pm

I have always been interested in cooling, and particularly hard drive cooling, cuz, after physical shock, heat is the next big killer.

So I always use a BayCooler:

http://www.calpc.com/catalog/baycoolers.html

There are various different kinds from different manufacturers, but I like the one by PC Power & Cooling.

I view the cost as a small insurance policy to protect my valuable data..

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 3:29am

Yes, there are different types of coolers but getting an 8°C reduction in NDT for free is a good starting point.

It is possible that my computer case is the 'worst scenario' and I am still wondering what the designer was thinking. Were any tests carried out with different fan positions? I don't think so!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Is the air flow 'optimum' in your computer cuz
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 11:16am

I have noticed that even the least bit of air flow across a hard drive makes a big difference .. using the finger-touch test method.

I mean, I once installed these dinky little single-fan units onto a hard drive, which were peel-n-stick installed .. hardly seemed worth the trouble, but took the drive from "warm" down to nearly room temp.

I like the Bay Coolers, cuz they have *two* fans .. for redundancy, in case one dies (which they do, occasionally) .. and they come in black.

But I agree, free is nice. More case-building companies these days are paying attention to "optimum" air flow .. as is the case with the new BTX form factor.

Oh,
as is "the case"
.. think I made a pun there.  Smiley

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 11:29am

Quote:
Oh, as is "the case" .. think I made a pun there.

It's been difficult to avoid that when writing posts to the discussions.

Anyway, in my case the air flow is better inside the case ...... Grin ...... but it may be different in other cases!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2006 at 4:35pm

Christer

Quote:
I use Everest Home Edition which is a 'slimmed' freeware version. To the best of my knowledge, it is accurate and gets the data from the S.M.A.R.T.

How did you get the Everest Home Edition to pick up the S.M.A.R.T. data--I get an empty page when I click on the S.M.A.R.T. listing under the hard drive section.

I did a search on how to enable the S.M.A.R.T. reporting by the HDD's, but it sounded like you have to have a motherboard BIOS that supports turning that feature on--does your motherboard offer that support--or is there some other way to enable that feature of a HDD?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2006 at 7:03pm

Christer wrote on Nov 17th, 2005 at 3:29am:
It is possible that my computer case is the 'worst scenario' and I am still wondering what the designer was thinking. Were any tests carried out with different fan positions? I don't think so!

I like my computers to be silent, so I have spent lots of time trying to get the most cooling out of the fewest noisemakers.

Air flow inside a computer case vaires based on the case, the fan, and what you have inside the case.  In my cases, having the fan at the bottom creates a positive presure in the case, which helps keep dust from entering your computer through cracks around your CD and floppy drives.  Dust in those drives can be a killer, as my friend learned through experience.

Usually, the power supply is at the top of the case, and it will exhaust air out the back-top of the case, creating a natural flow.  The front fan brings cool air in, the hot air rises, the powersupply sends it out.

Every fan has different charastics.  Some move more air at a lower RPM but can't produce as much presure.  If a fan can't produce enough static presure to continue moving air into the case, that is when it becomes benificial to move it to the exhaust position.  The fan can easily pull hot air out of the case, and cooler air moves in to take its place.

As far as hard drives go, I learned the hard way that heat kills a drive faster than anything.  Most cases come with no consideration for hard drive cooling.  

I try to put my drives in the lower-front of the case, where the incoming cool air flows over it, and that seems sufficent.  I agree with Rad that any airflow at all makes a big difference.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2006 at 11:22pm

NightOwl wrote on May 6th, 2006 at 4:35pm:
How did you get the Everest Home Edition to pick up the S.M.A.R.T. data--I get an empty page when I click on the S.M.A.R.T. listing under the hard drive section.

I get an empty page too with Everest. I also get an empty page with HD Tune but this app provides SMART information on my other computers.

http://www.hdtune.com/

It provides HD temperatures on all except the ancient computers.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2006 at 9:52am

Readers of this thread who are interested in monitoring the temperature of hard disk drives (and optionally controlling the fan speed) will be interested in the SpeedFan tool discussed in the thread Monitor Hard Disk Temperature.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2006 at 3:54pm

NightOwl,

Quote:

I didn't do anything but I have noticed that some hard disk / motherboard combinations produce an empty page. Some motherboards have S.M.A.R.T. disabled in BIOS but enabling does not always produce a reading in Everest. Other hard disks have a reading which is hotter than the sun.

See the image below for the readings for my HDD1. HDD2 will be there too if running (in the mobile rack).

I interpret 36 as the temperature (degrees centigrade) but what the 20 is about, I don't know. I left a different hard disk in the car over night and the corresponding figure (to 20) was much lower, something like the temperature I expected during that night.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2006 at 4:14pm

SIW is another application with the corresponding functions compared to Everest but for my Hitachi, it produces gibberish for temperature:

It seems to be "hit or miss" but I don't know why.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2006 at 4:48pm

For a description of the S.M.A.R.T. attributes as well as a listing of tools that display the attribute values, see Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print