Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rad--Re: Testing sleeping bag and tent (Read 10431 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Rad--Re: Testing sleeping bag and tent
Dec 14th, 2005 at 1:23pm

Rad

Reading your blog of 12.dec.2005 on your
homepage
brought back some memories long dormant:

Quote:
12.dec.2005 - Camped out last night, at a local campground. Wanted to test my new tent & sleeping bag. Slept like a baby. Something about sleeping outdoors knocks me out.

The bag is rated for 20-degrees F (-7 C). It was toasty inside, tho not very cold out - nowhere near the bag's 20-degree rating.

In Hawaii, the Dog always ran at the hottest hour. When I asked why, he responded,
"If you can run in the heat of the day, you can run any time." Likewise .. if you can camp in the middle of winter, you can camp anytime.

These pictures come from a three day hike and camp out in northern Wisconsin in January:

The reading says
-16 degrees F
, and that's after it had
warmed
up from
-20 degrees F
!

The campsite with two campers huddled next to the campfire.

Snowshoeing along a frozen creek.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Rad--Testing sleeping bag and tent
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 4:36pm

Great shots NightOwl. I can FEEL the cold. We don't get conditions like that anywhere near my home and I really enjoy visiting places that have a climate which contrasts with ours.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 1:46am

Oh yeah. Brian said it. You can *feel* the cold. Brrr. I'm turning up the heat. Excellent quality in that you feel like you're there. That's the ultimate from a photograph, IMHO.

The pic with the tent ON the snow. That got to me. Sleeping on snow. How do you stay warm?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 2:04am

Rad

Two backpacking foam pads underneath the sleeping bags--actually worked well--the snow being ice is really nearer 32 degree F rather than the temp of the air!  That's why building a snow cave shelter can be a life saver in an emergency.

In the morning there was a layer of frost from the loss of our body moisture covering the inside ceiling of the tent.

I have to admit--my bag was probably rated only to zero degree F, and I had wool long underwear on, top and bottoms, and a sweater, and two pairs of wool socks, and my down jacket over the top--I distinctly remember that it was an uncomfortably *cold* night--the first night had only dropped to about zero as there was a cloud cover--but the second night was crystal clear and the temperature dropped more!

It was a *mummy* bag--the only thing exposed was my nose and mouth--and sometimes not my nose  Cheesy !

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 10:36pm

you wore long wool underwear to sleep, with 2 pair wool socks, with a sweater, and a down jacket over the top of the sleeping bag (rated for zero) and were *still* cold?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 11:01pm

Rad

At
-20 degrees F
(that's 20
below
zero!)--yes sir--I was still *cold*!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 11:50pm

That's minus 29° Celsius on our scale. The lowest temperature reached in my freezer is minus 22° Celsius so you know how the turkeys feel.

We drove to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska (October last year) and I was hoping for cold weather. Alas, the coldest was minus 10° Celsius and I felt warm.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 12:41am

Brian

The coldest I've ever been in was -30 degrees F--also in northern Wisconsin--my relatives are from there.  The wind was also a factor--so the the wind chill factor put the effective temperature at about -50 degrees below zero.

The car battery just had no usable juice at those temperatures.  I had to bundle up and go out in an open parking lot and remove the battery and bring it in to allow it to warm up.  That wind was *bitter* cold!

Probably took me ten minutes to disconnect the battery (wearing clunky sky cloves in a small work space) and pull it out--when I got back into the house--I had icicles hanging from my eyebrows, mustache, and nose, and all around my parka hood from the freezing of my moist breath!

Let the battery warm overnight and put it back the next morning.  I wasn't too sure it would start even then--the engine turned over so slowly because of the cold, thickened oil--but, just as the juice was dieing--it started.  

Driving home in that cold--the heater just barely could warm the inside to a comfortable level--I think the radiator's rheostat never had to open--the heater was sucking so much heat out of the radiator fluid that the regular radiator wasn't needed.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:17am

I'd like to try that. Maybe once.

IP Logged

Ivanov1

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 9:52pm

Firstly I apologize for posting as a guest despite being a member. As earlier said in one of the posts I get logged in successfully but the moment I try to reply to a thread I become a GUEST………funny strange??

Night Owl great pics & must have been an adventure worth experiencing.

I wanted to share a decade old experience of mine, where I camped at 20,000 feet plus, at temperatures going down till -45 Celsius easily. It was the Himalayas, where I & my party stayed for 6 months before coming down gradually first to 16,000 & than 13,000 & lastly 6,000 feet above sea level.
A couple of us suffered Cerebral & Pulmonary edema, but we all survived.

Regards!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 10:41pm

Ivanov1

Quote:
where I camped at 20,000 feet plus, at temperatures going down till -45 Celsius easily. It was the Himalayas, where I & my party stayed for 6 months before coming down gradually first to 16,000 & than 13,000 & lastly 6,000 feet above sea level.

Were you at 20,000 feet briefly with those low temperatures--or were you at that elevation for 6 months?!

Quote:
A couple of us suffered Cerebral & Pulmonary edema, but we all survived.

I've heard of *altitude sickness*--is it common--even when you come down slowly as you mentioned?

IP Logged

Ivanov1

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 12:33am

For 6 straight months.

Regards!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 10:15am

Ivanov1

What was the occassion for such an extended stay at those elevations?

IP Logged

Ivanov1

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 3:03am

Hello Night Owl,

Firstly a Happy New Year to you, Mr Christer & all the moderators & members.

It was no special occasion for such an extended experience, just a mountaineering expedition plus a med research project.

To see for the effects of high altitude, on human cardiovascular system.

We were living in artificial fibre glass igloos, wearing a Canadian manufactured high altitude kit, for protection against extremes of temperature, UV radiations etc.

Regards!

Ivanov Yezinki

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 5:54pm

What did you find / determine about the effects of high-altitude?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print