Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can't Backup to DVD in Ghost 10.0 (Read 29829 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Can't Backup to DVD in Ghost 10.0
Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 8:30pm

Brian,

If I recall correctly, I had to do FULL erases of CDRW's before using them with previous Ghost versions.  After prices of CDR's came down, I just started using CDR's.

I spent about 30 minutes with Symantec LiveChat.  This is where it ended up:
> Please note that we need to research the issue further.
John > ok
> Please provide me Belarc info and Msinfo. I shall e-mail. Please reply to the e-mail with the requested information.

I asked if there were any problems noted with Ghost.  No answer to that.  I doubt if Belarc with solve their issue.

I'll keep you posted.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 8:48pm

John, I tried Quick and Full erase.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 1:31am

For what it's worth, Ghost 10 does write to CD-RW on my computer. But not to DVD+RW (Imation brand).

IP Logged

Dirt
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh

Reply #18 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 1:56am

am having same problem backing up to dvd+r but i am using ghost 9.0 it never gets past the screen that sayd the "media is either write protected or need formatted"...i tried formatting and that did not work...my dvd burner is on the list (Philips DVD8631)..and gear.exe is running...if anyone ever figures this out i really want to burn to removable media...i do have 2 160gb hard drives but they are set up as Raid 0 ..should i just not use Raid and use the second hard drive to back up to????...thanks in advance for any help out there ..i will keep trying and will post any repairs if found...Dirt

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 2:19am

Dirt,

DVD burning does work from Ghost 9 in my computer but not from Ghost 10. But as discussed elsewhere in this forum, it's much faster to image to your HD in 4480 MB (or less) splits and then burn to DVD with Nero (using UDF mode) etc.

I'm not familiar with RAID but most people image to a HD partition other than the OS partition. If there is only a single partition you can even write the OS image to the same partition (C drive). Burn the image and then delete the image from the C drive.

Because of its slow and unreliable nature in some computers, I'd avoid restoring from DVD's as well. Before the restore, transfer the image to another HD, if possible.

Quote:
the "media is either write protected or need formatted".

That was my error message too. The Gear software formats your DVD as it writes the image. You just need to insert a blank disc. At least that's what is supposed to happen.

IP Logged

TDVD

Reply #20 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 10:04am

Brian wrote on Jan 6th, 2006 at 6:43pm:
TDVD,

Are you planning to ditch Ghost 10?
Not really, i paid for it, bought a lot of extra hardware to get it working and spent a lot of time.
If not, do you have a second HD or an external HD or a networked computer?
I bought external disk cases for my old disks. Backup and recovery on those USB disk works fine but for the same money i could have bought a mirror disk. And i have to upgrade my old disks soon (they are 6 six years old).
How long (in minutes) does it take for the Recovery CD to load?
To be honest not hours, but 8 minutes. To restore a 6 GB recovery point from external hard disk 12 minutes.

Regards, TDVD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:18pm

TDVD,

8 minutes is a long time but mine takes 4 to 5 minutes. All Preinstallation Environments are slow to load. I'm not sure, but some CD drives seem to work faster than others, although it's marginal. At least you have seen our alternatives which I think are better than writing to DVD directly.

Have you seen this thread to make sure it doesn't apply to you.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11318...

IP Logged

TDVD

Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:31pm

Brian wrote on Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:18pm:
8 minutes is a long time but mine takes 4 to 5 minutes. All Preinstallation Environments are slow to load. I'm not sure, but some CD drives seem to work faster than others, although it's marginal.
To be honest another time, 8 minutes isn't that long in comparison with installing XP, but for restoring i don't  need windows. The floppy / DOS way is faster.

And ofcourse recovery of a 6 GB disk isn't bad. That's why i stuck to Ghost. And the work-arounds are reliable to, but i bought Ghost with the presumption i could backup directly to DVD's (like they advertise) and that isn't reliable working.

IP Logged

TDVD
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:38pm

Quote:
And ofcourse recovery of a 6 GB disk isn't bad.

In 12 minutes i forgot to wrote.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:38pm

Quote:
but i bought Ghost with the presumption i could backup directly to DVD's (like they advertise) and that isn't reliable working.

I was surprised that it didn't work on my computer. Usually everything does work on my computer.

Your restore times are good. And "restore" is why we use it. Yes, stick with Ghost 10. Mostly it's working.

IP Logged

TDVD
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 5:44pm

I finally succeeded to backup and recover from spanned  DVD backup. I'll advice NOT to use it, the way it works it cannot be reliable.

1. I had to buy another DVD+RW  drive (my first, windows certified, drive was not on the list, but driver test said it was ok, not so);
2. I had to update GEAR drivers wich resulted in not working Ghost at all.
3. I had to reinstall Ghost and after solving a lot of problems with Live Update and protection (for what?).
4. Backup went quite well, 30 minutes for 10Gb on 2 DVd's.
5. Restoring it is a crime, you have to swap disks every 30 seconds about more than 20 times. They even warn you for that  Shocked BTW mounting for spanned drives is not supported (nice they document that).

I wonder what idiot approved selling the product with advertising the spanned DVD backup. I'm sure he or she didn't try it by him/her self.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 6:54pm

TDVD,

Thanks for the update. Which step do you think worked?

I've already stated that I don't want to use DVD's for the restore process. Say you have five discs, then the restore order is:
1 5 1 5 1 2 3 4 5 1

It's interesting that I can use Ghost 9 to write images to DVD but not Ghost 10.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #27 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 7:56pm

TDVD, glad to hear you got it working.  Once the price of external USB drives came down, DVD backup is not a practical as you noted, unless your backup only uses 1 (or 2) DVD's because of the swaping.  But in an emergency, something is better than nothing.

With double-layer media prices falling, DVD backup could be more usable.  This same logic used to apply to backup tapes--once you got past one tape, restore was not pretty!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 7:59pm

Brian wrote on Jan 11th, 2006 at 6:54pm:
It's interesting that I can use Ghost 9 to write images to DVD but not Ghost 10.

Brian, I bet it is the gear software on the Ghost 10 CD, but unfortunately you can't easily update that.

Of course if Symantec would post a Ghost 10.1 update on the ftp website, well, . . . well, that's another story . . . (I meant dream).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 8:37pm

I'm not impressed with Symantec not openly acknowledging the problems with Ghost 10. External HD, DVD.

I almost went back to using Ghost 9 when Ghost 10 didn't do an incremental backup. But it was probably my fault as I had restored an image the previous day and I should have started a new backup set.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print