Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 and bootable restored SATA HDD (Read 3131 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Ghost 9 and bootable restored SATA HDD
Jan 10th, 2006 at 12:38am

Ghost 9'rs

Here's a thread at *Experts Exchange*--has anyone seen this problem--and the solution mentioned:

Norton Ghost 2005 with SATA

You have to scroll down a ways to see the additional comments.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 9 and bootable restored SATA HDD
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 1:30am

where on symantec's site does it mention a problem with ghost 2003 and sata drives? he doesn'tprovide a link.

i have imaged plenty of sata drives using ghost 2003, so i'm not sure what he's referring to.

looks like his post was written 04jan2006.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 10:45am

Rad

I don't find any reference at Symantec about SATA HDD's--but elsewhere there is mention that certain SATA controllers and their drivers need to be set to some sort of *compatibility mode*, or one has to use a *-fni* or *-noide* switch to change the default access method that Ghost uses for HDD access.  See this previous thread here:

SATA HDD's and Ghost!

But, I was more interested in the two-step backup and restore process that solved the problem of restoring a HDD so it was bootable for the poster who's using Ghost 9.x.  He needed to do a full image + a *restore point* backup and then a restore of the image + a restore of the *restore point*.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 4:06pm

NightOwl,

Quote:
This time, the ghost process actually runs and completes.  But when I try to boot from that hard drive, it will get to a login prompt (Windows XP Pro).  it will then immediately logoff after I enter the login credentials.

I think he has done a Copy Drive (Clone), poorly, and now has MBR problems.

Quote:
Just to give you guys some info as to the resolution, we needed to create a Backup Image of the original hard drive onto another SATA hdd.  Also create a restore point on the hdd with the image.  After doing those 2 steps, pop in another HDD that you want the ghost image on and restore the backup image and the restore point (after the backup image is restored).

that will resolve everthing.  The restore point will restore all the drivers to the point when it was created. 

Now he is mixing Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 terminology. Do you understand what he is trying to do? I assume a Copy Drive again. I have no idea what he has actually done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print