Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost Explorer to recover file (Read 60485 times)
bobnjake
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost Explorer to recover file
Jan 26th, 2006 at 9:09pm

I backed up my hard drive using Ghost, while in the process of restoring from my 17 backup disc, Ghost ran into a problem & apparently found a bad sector on the 13th disc & shut down. To make a long story short, I lost the drive completely. I now have a new computer, just installed Norton System Works 2006 Premier & would likek to be able to go in & selectly recover some of the files that are on the 17 backup discs. I've heard that Ghost explorer may be ablel to do this. Can someone help guide me thur this process, if it can be done
Thanks, Bob

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost Explorer to recover file
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 1:27am

bobnjake

Unless your 17 disc backup can pass an integrity test, I suspect Ghost Explorer will not be able to mount the image set either.

Here's the instructions for mounting an image set from CD's into Ghost Explorer:

How to use Ghost Explorer to open an image file that is stored on multiple CD discs

If your image is of a NTFS partition, you will probably have to swap CD's often.  If your system has two optical drives--I found that if you put the last CD in the second optical drive and *browse* to the last file--Ghost Explorer will automatically switch back and forth between the discs until it needs one of the other discs and asks for it.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 1:44am

Which version of Ghost?  You didn't say, but would this work:

Create a folder on your current hard drive, and then copy all 17 CD's (the ghost image file names) into that folder.  Then you can use Ghost explorer to browse that folder and open the first file, which then avoids all the swapping of cd's.

I know this works ok with Ghost 9 and Ghost 10.  If you're trying to restore just a few folders, this can be easier and faster than all the cd swapping.

You can then also run the image verify on the image in your hard drive folder.

(I think there are also some cd analyze/fix utilities that "might" recover the one cd depending on what is wrong with it.)

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

bobnjake
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 7:02am

thanks Guys, how can I tell which version of Ghost that I have. It's the 2006 Premier version of Norton's System works, I would think it's a later version. By copying all the disc to my hard drive, would I be in danegr of copying something "bad", that is on the discs to my NEW hard drive.

Thanks again
Bob

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 10:47am

bobnjake wrote on Jan 27th, 2006 at 7:02am:
thanks Guys, how can I tell which version of Ghost that I have. It's the 2006 Premier version of Norton's System works, I would think it's a later version. By copying all the disc to my hard drive, would I be in danegr of copying something "bad", that is on the discs to my NEW hard drive.
Thanks again
Bob

Bob, you have Ghost 10 which comes in Systemworks 2006.  You are trying to determine if there is something physical or logical wrong with the 13th cd.  By copying all 17 of them to a folder, you can then more easily run the Ghost 10 Recovery Explorer program to recover (hopefully) a few of the files that you want to restore from your backup.

After you copy all 17 files:
open Ghost Recovery Explorer,
point to the folder,
run the Ghost verify,
and if you get an error message during your verify process, please write it down and let us know.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 3:03pm

Bobnjake, from your post, I infer that the CDs were created on your old PC, and you have having problems with one of the CDs on your new PC.

If you still have your old PC, try copying the problematic CD to another device (e.g., an external USB hard disk drive) using your old PC, and then transfer the device to the new PC.  If you don’t have your old PC, try the same procedure using a friend’s PC.  Sometimes difficulties are encountered when reading a CD on a PC which is different from that on which it was created.

Your objective is as Ghost4me stated:  to move all the .V2I image files into one folder on the new PC.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 3:50pm

Bobnjake, if all else fails, consider the use of the data recovery services provided by OnTrack (http://www.ontrack.com/). ; They not only recover data from hard disk drives, but from all other media types as well.

I have had one experience with this company, and they are outstanding (but not inexpensive).

IP Logged

bobnjake
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 10:07am

Sorry guys , it just ain't working. Copied all the backup discs to my harddrive, went into System Works 2006, in Ghost, selected recovery, Advanced, but no matter what I did, I could never get the "explore" button to allow me to see any of what was in the backup disc, just kept sending me around in circles. No options to verify any data. Never really saw anything in the folder except the backup discs numbered. I'm just about ready to give up. Appreciate all your help

Thanks, Bob

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 11:11am

bobnjake wrote on Jan 28th, 2006 at 10:07am:
Sorry guys , it just ain't working. Copied all the backup discs to my harddrive, went into System Works 2006, in Ghost, selected recovery, Advanced, but no matter what I did, I could never get the "explore" button to allow me to see any of what was in the backup disc, just kept sending me around in circles. No options to verify any data. Never really saw anything in the folder except the backup discs numbered. I'm just about ready to give up. Appreciate all your help
Thanks, Bob

Bob, your initial Ghost 10 screen should look like this:

Select Recovery

Select Recover My Files
Select Tasks/Explore
browse to the folder you created that contains all 17 files (all must be in same folder)
Select the first one c_drive.v2i and double-click or open it
That should open the Ghost "Recovery Point Browser"

You can highlight the name in the left panel and verify it.  You should also be able to see the file structure listed underneath. You can also right-click on a folder and select Restore.

Does this help?

IP Logged

bobnjake
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 2:45pm

After I select "recover file", I don't get any "recovery points", I try to direct it to the folder where I have all my backup discs copied to , but all I see is the 17 files for each disc, labeled Gho1, GO2, etc. I can never get to where I can browse or verify a file. Do I have to somehow "unzip" the files GHO1, etc. I never ran any backup's on this machine, it's new.'m just trying to recover filess from my old "dead computer". I really appreciate your help, any thing else I could try?

Thanks again
Bob

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 3:01pm

Bob, I think we are getting somewhere now.  *.GHO extension is for Ghost 2003 I believe.  When you created the backup from your old computer did you use Ghost 2003?

Look in the FAQ section here.  I'm not a Ghost 2003 expert myself but there are plenty others here who are.

So, now you want to know -- How do I restore/recover some files from a Ghost 2003 backup that is stored in a folder in Windows XP?

In my opinion you've made the job a lot easier by having the Ghost 2003 backup files in a folder, so you can restore without having to feed multiple cd's each time.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 3:04pm

I *think* you want to start the Ghost 2003 applicaton, and use the Ghost 2003 Explorer.

Here's the Ghost 2003 manual:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/manuals/ghost2003...

IP Logged

bobnjake
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 3:26pm

John, We may be on to something here, I did the backup from an earleir version of Ghost, I now have Systemworks 2006, which has Ghost 10, my only problem now is trying to find my earlier version of System works, which has Ghost 3 on it. Fat chance me finding that, but I'll try.

Thanks again. If it's OK, I'll let you know when & IF i find it

Bob

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 5:51pm

Ghost4me.John

I don't have Ghost 10 to look at, but when you install Ghost 10, does it install *Ghost Explorer*--or something similar?

Should be able to open older Ghost version image file (.gho and .ghs--(spanned image files associated with the initial .gho file)) using that without *bobnjake* looking for the old Ghost program disc.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 5:57pm

bobnjake

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the sub-directory where you have copied those old Ghost image files.  Double-click on the first file that should be something like *cd0001.gho*--does that open in *Ghost Explorer*--or do you get a dialog box asking for what program to use to open that file type?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print