Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost Explorer to recover file (Read 60488 times)
Pleonasm

Re: Ghost Explorer to recover file
Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 5:59pm

Bobnjake, although I have not done it personally, the Norton Ghost 10.0 User's Manual says "Norton Ghost 10 can restore backup images created using Norton Ghost 9 and Norton Ghost 2003" (page 25).

Use the "Explore Recovery Points (Advanced)" option in Ghost 10, and select the File -> Open menu to navigate to the .GHO image.  Hopefully, you will be able to open it and retrieve the desired files.

IP Logged

bobnjake
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 10:00pm

I think we're getting closer, BUT. I was able to go in Advanced Recovery, I go see all the 18 .GHO files that I copied in, I select the 1st one, it comes back and says "Select the file for the last segment in this image file, I select file 18, it comes back and says " NTFS partition is spaced over 18 segments, unless all are available at once, this may lead to excessive disk swapping, do you want to load this parttition, Yes or No", which ever answer you pick, it then comes back "Corruption in image file or media not present, not all files are shown", I don't want to reload everything from my backup, I just want to go in, see what files I may be able to recover & try to recover only those files, I don't want to restore everything. Should I just give up, I don't want to "tax everyone's brain, on this"

Thanks for the support though

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 10:18pm

Here is one Ghost 2003 Symantec article entitled How to handle a corrupted image file.

The solution involves running the Ghost 2003 DOS program.

Hopefully some of the Ghost 2003 experts here can suggest what to do or help more than I can.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

bobnjake
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:04am

John, You've gone above the call of duty to help me, Thanks.

I read your 2003 link, I found some place where I can buy Ghost 2003, for not much money, so I may try it. Like you said, if maybe some of the 2003 experts can help, I'll continure trying. If, let's just put everything to bed. We'll live longer:)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #19 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:32am

bobnjake

Quote:
Should I just give up, I don't want to "tax everyone's brain, on this"

Hey--that's why we spend our time here--it's the challenge to help--and discover new ways to use Ghost, etc.

You don't need to get Ghost 2003--you have already opened the Ghost Explorer program that's part of your Ghost 10--you just have to start Ghost Explorer with one of the two switches that's reference in that article, *How to handle a corrupted image file.*

Where did you install Ghost 10 on your system--the *ghostexp.exe* is probably in that sub-directory.  Use Windows Explorer and do a search for *ghostexp.exe*.  Once you know where the program is, you can open Ghost Explorer in one of two ways:

1.  Use the *Run...* from the *Start* menu--put in the path to the *ghostexp.exe* program (mine is *D:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\Ghostexp.exe) and add a space and the switch name after a *-* or */* character.  So on my system (note--you need the quote marks, but not the (*'s) for the command line on the run line ):

*"D:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\Ghostexp.exe" -ignoreindex*

or

*"D:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\Ghostexp.exe" -corrupt*

That command line starts *Ghost Explorer* to work differently than normal per the article--and may allow your image to be mounted in Ghost Explorer if one of those switches allows the corrupt image to be mounted.

2.  If you have the *Open Command Window Here* set up on your system, you can use Windows Explorer to highlite the sub-directory that *Ghostexp.exe* is located in, right click the sub-directory, and select *Open Command Window Here* from the menu.  Your command window will be in the sub-directory and now you simply type the program name with the switch--so like this (without the (*'s), and no quote marks):

*Ghostexp.exe -ignoreindex*

or

*Ghostexp.exe -corrupt*

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #20 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:49am

bobnjake

I do not have Ghost 10, but I have Ghost 9 that I have never installed from a copy of Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier.

That comes with a *Recovery Disk*--I believe you should have a *Recovery Disk* as well with Ghost 10.

I'm not booting from the *Recover Disk*--I'm just putting it in the optical drive from within Windows.

Here's my path to *Ghostexp.exe* on the *Recovery Disk* in my optical drive (your CD drive letter may be different from mine):

X:\I386\START\ADVANCED\EN\GHOSTEXP.EXE

Using the above method #1 in my last post--putting the following in the *Run...* command line opens Ghost Explorer using the *-ignorindex* switch:

"X:\I386\START\ADVANCED\EN\GHOSTEXP.EXE" -ignorindex

You can then browse to your first *xxxx.gho* file and see if you can now open it.  Then try the other switch to start Ghost Explorer if the first does not work.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 1:00am

Quote:
You don't need to get Ghost 2003--you have already opened the Ghost Explorer program that's part of your Ghost 10--you just have to start Ghost Explorer with one of the two switches that's reference in that article

NightOwl,

Thanks for the great info on using Ghost Explorer with switches from Windows XP!!  I added a link to your page and explanations to the Ghost 10 section of the FAQ.

John

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

bobnjake
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 11:14am

Nightowl &ghost4me can't thank you enough for all the trying  you've been doing, still not working. This morning, I went in and tried running the ghostexp.exe with the switches, like nightowl said ( worked a lot better when I  did it the right way JUST LIKE NIGHTOWL told me to do Smiley but in both cases, it took me into Ghost Explorer, with no submenu;s though like I got when I went in thuru the Advacnced Menu, just into Explorer, with no option other then File - View , etc. I went into File, Open, selected the 1st GHO image & it started me back into the same loop, ie, open up the last image, NTFS partition note, corruption in image file, etc. Appreciate all your help, you won't disappoint me guys, if we give up.

Thanks again
Bob

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print