Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noob Questions about Ghost (Read 2837 times)
Matt

Noob Questions about Ghost
Jan 27th, 2006 at 3:29pm

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to look at my post.   
I have never used ghost to backup a pc or anything like it.  I have recently started fixing peoples computers for them.  This software was recomended for me to use to backup peoples systems.  I have read tons of posts but still confused on some stuff.  If I buy GHOST can I install it on a external HD?  My plan is to install it on a external so i can take to peoples houses and backup there files incase I need to format and reinstall stuff.. Will this work for me? Thanks for the time, like I said Ghost is new to me.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Noob Questions about Ghost
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 7:12pm

Matt

Quote:
If I buy GHOST can I install it on a external HD?

Depends on the version of Ghost--Ghost 2003 DOS version can be put on a FAT 32 partition on an external HDD, you need to be able to boot to DOS from a floppy or bootable optical media that includes DOS drivers to *see* the external HDD in DOS--then you can load and run Ghost from the external HDD.

The system you are working with will have to have USB or Firewire ports to connect to your external HDD.

It's not uncommon for there to be compatibility issues with DOS Ghost, USB HDD's, and USB controllers on various systems--often these problems can be worked out--but, it may take some troubleshooting--and possibly using an alternate DOS USB driver than the one supplied by Symantec for Ghost 2003 (created by Iomega):

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 7:33pm

Matt, I caution you that the license for all retail versions of Ghost specifies that the software is to be used on one PC.  Using a single copy of Ghost on multiple PCs is unacceptable.

For the terms and conditions of the Ghost 10 license, for example, see:
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/media/eula/08.23.05_cpd.glbl.eula.ghost1...

IP Logged

Matt

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 9:56pm

Hhmm thanks for the responces guys.
I would not be installing it on multiple machines really, just using to do backups every now and again.  But I see your point, thanks again

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print