Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Connecting to and backing up old machine (Read 2045 times)
JP

Connecting to and backing up old machine
Jan 27th, 2006 at 4:23pm

I have an old 486 box with one internal HD with some DOS applications on it. I’d like to make a backup image to an external HD and/or clone to a possible replacement HD. I don’t really change anything on this machine as far as software configuration so it could just be a one time backup of the system.

I have a few questions:

I have a USB/Firewire external HD that has a FAT32 partition on it set aside for this. Is there a way to connect it via serial or parallel ports and have the new drive/partition recognized by the old machine?

Will Ghost 2003 work for this, and does it have to be installed on the old HD or will it run from a floppy? Or can Ghost be intalled/run from the external HD? (as Matt asked in another post)

I work with other pc’s that I would like to make regular backup images of as these do get modified often. Would I really need to have separate ghost software for each machine?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Connecting to and backing up old machine
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 7:03pm

JP

Quote:
I’d like to make a backup image to an external HD and/or clone to a possible replacement HD.

I have a USB/Firewire external HD that has a FAT32 partition on it set aside for this. Is there a way to connect it via serial or parallel ports and have the new drive/partition recognized by the old machine?

You have to have, on the old machine, a USB or Firewire port to connect to the external HDD. 

You can connect one computer to another via parallel cable ports (printer port) or LPT serial ports and Ghost can transfer the image of the source HDD to an internal HDD on the destination system--but probably not to an external HDD on the destination system.  This tends to be complicated, getting things set up correctly, however.

Easiest thing to do on your old system, if it's likely to be a one time event, is to open the case and install your destination HDD temporarily on that system--do the Ghosting, and then switch the new HDD to the position of the old HDD--and/or remove whichever HDD is not to remain on the system.

Also, you could connect via networking cabling and NIC cards on each machine--using a crossover cable, a hub, a switch, or a router.

Quote:
Will Ghost 2003 work for this, and does it have to be installed on the old HD or will it run from a floppy? Or can Ghost be intalled/run from the external HD? (as Matt asked in another post)

Ghost 2003 DOS version will run from a floppy.  If you have access in DOS to the external HDD, then you can run Ghost 2003 DOS from the HDD as well--just need to boot from a floppy to DOS and then access the program on the external HDD.

Quote:
Would I really need to have separate ghost software for each machine?

Technically--no!  Legally--Yes!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

JP

Re: Connecting to and backing up old machine
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 8:03pm

NightOwl

Thanks for the info. Very helpful site this is.
I'll put another hard drive in the old machine and try that route.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print